Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Everything you need to know about banking in QuickBooks Online - Discover more
QBCommunityUK
Community Manager

4 Marketing Tactics To Build Your Customer Base

large-2.jpg

Maybe you’ve already read our checklist for getting ready for customers. But now you’re looking for ideas on how to really get your customer base growing. Here are 4 tried-and-tested ways the QB Community has grown their businesses.

1. Give something away free

If you sell products, giveaways let you reward existing customers and motivate potential buyers. Just remember that whatever you’re giving away free should always be a part of your margins—you don’t want it eating into your operational costs. You might want to offer a gift with a minimum purchase or provide free delivery. And our QB Community members tell us that stamp cards are a great marketing tool— they reward your customers for their loyalty, while also keeping them coming back for more.

If you’re selling services, you’ll want to establish yourself as an industry expert. Here’s what a few of our QB Community members had to say:

“Identify relevant topics and blog about them. Blogs are a great way to stay engaged with clients while remaining relevant and top-of-mind. This is particularly true if you are helping solve day-to-day problems related to the service that you offer. The key thing is building trust and fostering the belief that you’re a knowledgeable expert who can help when it’s time to engage on a project or make a purchase.” – Todd Eby

I teach free classes about non-profits at our public library. In my experience, it can take a year or two of running a monthly class or a regular meet-up before people realise the value. The media wants us to believe success happens overnight. It doesn’t. But if you keep building personal connections, you will create a following.’Dawn Brown

1. Go big on your social media marketing

Social media platforms are packed with a lot more than just funny cat videos. In fact, they offer an incredible wealth of information about your current and prospective target audience. Facebook, in particular, let’s you specify all manner of demographics about viewers you want your post to reach, from gender and age to hobbies, job, location and more. (Is your ideal customer a 26-year-old woman who eats gluten-free, lives in London and loves tattoos and knitting? No problem. You’ll find her!)

Analysing and then leveraging insights gleaned from highly targeted online posts and campaigns give you a huge leg-up on identifying and reaching your audience.

Social media is, without doubt, the most important marketing tool I've used so far. My target demographic spends more time-consuming information via social media than they do watch TV or reading magazines. There isn't a day that goes by when I'm not uploading a new tutorial, adding images to my online portfolio, engaging with my followers or updating my paid ads. I think the key to a successful social media campaign is to constantly be on top of the action.” Lottie Hadwen

Our biggest marketing efforts go into social media because that's where we see the best potential. For example, when someone comments on one of our Instagram photos, we use the direct message feature to send them a discount code. It makes them feel special! We've also tried running targeted ads on Facebook and we use Google AdWords to drive traffic to our website via search keywords.” – Adam and Shaun Lee

1. Embrace timeless marketing tactics

Sure, social media opens the high-tech door to deep customer insights and analysis. But let’s not forget the power of traditional marketing techniques. Here are some tried, tested and totally true tactics that are absolutely worth remembering.

What’s been really effective is leaving our printed materials—postcards, brochures, business cards—at relevant local businesses.” – Cheri Drake

I sell sunglasses and my best marketing strategy is working as a vendor at various local events. It helps so much when people can try on my product and compare styles. Customers wear their new shades straight from my booth, so they become walking advertisements for the brand.– Beth Arca

We are a creative agency creating animated videos. One client wanted a video for a digital marketing event. We worked almost seven days and late nights straight to make the tight deadline. The client used the video for his product demo and won the Best Product award. Now we have a lifetime customer and a great referral.” – Mini Sarin

1. Whichever way you get your customers, make sure you aim to keep them

Did you know you’ll spend five times more money attracting a new customer than you would satisfy an existing one? Customer retention is far more cost-effective than customer acquisition. Repeat customers are happy customers. Happy customers say great things about a business. And a business with a great reputation naturally attracts new customers.

Before you go

QB Community members, what’s your best strategy for building your customer base? Share your tips below!

small.jpeg

Want to join the conversation but not yet a QB Community member? Click HERE to sign up in a flash!

1 REPLY 1
Jess W
Intuit

4 Marketing Tactics To Build Your Customer Base

What a great post! Social media is where I grew my business. A variety of platforms which allow your business to reach a variety of different people. Being creative with social media is a wonderful tool to engage new customers. Social media is easy to access too, so it can benefit lots of people. 

What do you all do to build your customer base?  @Anonymous , @Anonymous , @Katie_B and @Halke - share your tips and tricks in the comments below! :) 

QB Community UK Home          Talk About Your Business 

Find Inspiration     

Need to get in touch?

Contact us