Highlighted
Content Creator
7 Comments
Community Manager
Re: 5 British Entrepreneurs Share the Worst & Best Parts of Being Their Own Boss

The worst part of working for myself is when I'm tapped out of ideas. I find sometimes I get to work and everything flows... and then other times it's just simply a lost cause and everything I need to do is taking 12 times longer than it should. It's hard sometimes as a self-employed person to know when to push through and when to back off... without someone else there holding you accountable that day for any particular thing. Does anyone else have this happen to them?

Community Host
Re: 5 British Entrepreneurs Share the Worst & Best Parts of Being Their Own Boss

@ShanaNiederman wrote:

The worst part of working for myself is when I'm tapped out of ideas. I find sometimes I get to work and everything flows... and then other times it's just simply a lost cause and everything I need to do is taking 12 times longer than it should. It's hard sometimes as a self-employed person to know when to push through and when to back off... without someone else there holding you accountable that day for any particular thing. Does anyone else have this happen to them?

@Sangeethmathew@ElaineTay-TGW@Pen, - can you relate??

Pen
Community Backer **

Gods Yes! 

Especially right now when we haven't even gotten the company up and going yet; we are still just laying the foundation and preparing for our "grand opening". We have our one customer, but he is so easy to maintain it is ridiculous. Knowing what to do next without any direction is difficult. What is the most important thing to do next? What if I don't feel like doing that today?  I am my own boss. I could just walk away from it and no one would know but me. And to be honest, I don't know how I am powering through. I just keep jumping from one timer to the next and challenging myself to get 'x' done before it does. I know I need to start making some kind of agenda for myself, but I don't even know where to begin with that. 

Sorry guys. I know I usually have something more positive to say, but this is actually one of those things I have been struggling with a lot lately. My business partner is not really able to help right now because of some personal issues and so I don't even have her holding me accountable at the moment. C'est la vie. 

Community Host

@Pen, when I read @ShanaNiederman's comment I thought of you right away! You're launching your business with a partner, right? Are you generally on the same page when it comes to defining priorities and next steps, and how do you divvy up the tasks? Are you holding each other accountable for staying on track or trusting each other to just to "get it done"?

Established Community Backer ***

Hey,

We always make plans before we start a business. So we are full of ideas initially. As time goes we run out of them. How to come out of that inertia is always a challenge.

One method that has worked at times for me is like think of some thing random and non related.  

- Like a line in a movie you like

- Like a lyric

- Like some thing you would like to speak in front of a crowd

- etc etc

or any thing.

If you get to that you will in some time get your ideas too. 

Community Host

I love that, @Sangeethmathew! I know it's hard to come up with an example on the spot, but if you think of a scrap of song lyric or a movie line that has given you an idea for your business I'd love to hear it Smiley Happy

Content Creator

That's a great reminder @Sangeethmathew that sometimes the simplest phrase can be powerful enough to change perspective. I used to be a competitive swimmer and a teammate painted me this little sign meant for training encouragement. It read: "If it is to be, it's up to me!" And I STILL invoke that phrase years later when I start to lack motivation or I feel blah in all different aspects of my life.