Announcements
Everything you need to know about banking in QuickBooks Online - Discover more
Jess W
Intuit

Hear It From a Pro: On Giving Back and Great Customer Service

Name: Pascal DepuhlPascal.jpeg

Business: Photography by Depuhl

Founded: 1993

Pascal Dephul is a photographer and videographer, but his professional title is “Chief Mindchanger”. This is because he believes we all have a moral and professional obligation to give back. We caught up with him after he returned from Nepal, where he’d been working with an organisation dedicated to helping remote mountain communities get access to life-saving medical services. Pascal tells us about his trip and shares an unexpected realisation that changed the way he thinks about—and provides—customer service.

Why were you filming in Nepal?

I was filming a documentary about a non-governmental organisation (NGO) in a remote region of the Himalayas. When I say “remote,” I‘m not exaggerating. People in these villages have to trek for 7 days through insanely rough mountains and valleys just to get to a bus stop. From there, it’s a 15-hour ride to the nearest hospital. Given these conditions, it’s no wonder the life-expectancy of a child under eight is just 50%.

This NGO organises helicopter evacuations for villagers with medical emergencies and sets up outposts offering basic medical treatments and service. The group also helps villagers navigate the hospital system in Kathmandu.

What led you to start working for an NGO?

I believe all of us—visual content creators, accountants, you name it—have innate abilities and skills. When we’re lucky enough to do something we love, and we’re good at, we must give back. I love being involved in projects like this one every few years. I arranged this trip to coincide with an assignment I was on in Asia for a different client. Since I was already on the ground, I knew my travel expenses would be minimal. I found out about this NGO and offered my services in exchange for covering basic costs.

For me, the goal is to balance commercial clients with projects like making this important documentary. Of course, when I’m shooting in Nepal, I’m not marketing my business or working for a paying client. But I think the trade-off is really worth it.

What do you do differently now to when you first started out?

I don’t believe in change for the sake of change, but a recent experience has made me think about my customers in a whole new way.

I was behind the camera during a presentation at a medical convention by Horst Schulze, the former president of the Ritz Carlton. He explained the most important thing every great company does is not finding new customers. The number 1 thing is to keep the current customer.

After that talk, I thought about what I do to keep my clients happy. I realised it’s never been my top priority. So, I started thinking about the small gestures I could make, things that don’t cost a lot of money or take much time but really add up.

Not long after, I had a shoot with a client who was driving in from 2 hours away. I knew she had to get up at 4 AM, so the day before, I asked her how she likes her coffee. When my client arrived on site, I greeted her with a hot cup, made just the way she likes it. This gesture took no effort on my part, but my client was so pleased, she couldn’t stop talking about it.

How do you keep your clients happy?

Now I keep service at the forefront. I find myself constantly thinking ahead so I can anticipate the need for my customer. This kind of thinking helps clients engage better with my brand. But fundamentally, it’s not about making money. I want my customers to know I genuinely care about them.

The same goes for the contractors and freelancers I hire for a shoot. Now, before each job begins, I let the crew know my philosophy about making great service a priority. I tell them the client needs to be blown away. Since everyone on my team represents my brand, it’s important I set clear expectations so we’re all on the same page.

Before you go

QB Community members, what changes have you made in the way you think about, and offer, customer service? We’d love to hear your story in the comments below!

small.jpeg

Ready to be a part of an online business community to get virtual help and support from other small business owners like Pascal? Join the QB Community !

2 REPLIES 2
Jess W
Intuit

Hi, @ParkwayInc

Welcome to the community!

After you told me you're the CTO and co-founder of your own company, I would love to know what changes you have made in the way you think about, and offer, customer service? Comment below! :) 

QB Community Home          Talk About Your Business 

Find Inspiration     

Jess W
Intuit

Hi, @PS1967,

I would love to know your take on customer service, with being an owner of a coffee shop, are there special things you do to go the extra mile? How important is customer service to you? Share your thoughts below!

Also, I am sure our members would love to hear more about your coffee business too. Share your story! :) 

QB Community Home          Talk About Your Business 

Find Inspiration     

Need to get in touch?

Contact us