cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
LeslieBarber
Level 6

Making Sweet Music: Why Organic Growth is Entrepreneur and Guitarist Chad Little's Forte

chad_little_1.jpg

What do people do when they call "time" on a career they loved? If they’re Chad Little, they start a profitable business that's not a million miles away from the path they just left.

Following a lifelong relationship with leather and music, Chad created Ethos, a company that sells high-quality guitar straps and other goods to customers in the US and the UK.

Through a network of partnerships with Pottery Barn, Taylor Guitars, D'Addario and more, Chad has seen his products featured on stage and on TV. With on eye on his core values and the other on growth, the entrepreneur is making sweet music in the world of leather manufacturing — with a chorus of fans that he's creating along the way.

We really dug Chad's business vibe, so we chatted with him about his venture and how he counts the likes of singers Carrie Underwood and Amy Grant among his customers.

large.jpeg 

Name: Chad Little

Business: Ethos Hand-Crafted Leather Products

Started: 2009

How did you first step onto the business stage?

I’ve had an interest in working with leather since I was young — I learned to repair boots and made my first pair in 1992. Not long after, in 1995, I set out on a parallel path in the music industry, where I eventually landed a gig with Carrie Underwood as a guitar player.

I continued with my music career and finally broke through in 2007 as one of two lead singers for the Christian Contemporary band CO3. We had two top 20 radio singles and sold our debut album in stores across America.

What made you leave the music industry and return to the world of leather?

In 2008, I finally realized that the music business model was in major flux, so I went back to the leather and boot-making trade. That's when I started Ethos, and in 2010 we launched our first e-commerce store on Etsy.

I decided to focus on guitar straps. Sales were slow during the first year, but fortunately, over the next five years, they doubled and have been growing at 20-30% each year since then.

Who was your first customer?

I can’t remember our very first customer, but the first item I sold was a guitar strap. It was a great feeling.

Another early highlight was when Pottery Barn commissioned the company to design two styles of Ethos Straps for their 2011 holiday gift catalog. Once the straps hit the streets, they sold out in two weeks!

Are there any famous musicians or celebrities using your straps?

We've been really lucky to have the likes of country singer Vince Gill, Madonna’s guitarist Monte Pittman and Duck Dynasty's Willie Robertson, among others, using our products.

At what point did you know that your business was hitting all the right notes? 

I always I knew it was going to work because it was something I loved to do, and that passion allowed me to see it through to its full potential.

Belief is a powerful thing in business — and in life — so I knew nothing would stop me from making this company a success as long as I stayed true to my vision.

chad_little_2.jpg

What has been the biggest surprise so far after starting your own business? 

One of the biggest surprises has been the effect of social media and how important organic growth has been for my business.

A lot of people think they should buy customers by commissioning expensive advertising, using Google AdWords or even paying for social media followers to drum up interest in their products. However, I think the value of organic growth through community interaction is priceless. 

"It's been amazing to see how customer reviews and responses have led to repeat business. In my opinion, clients who truly embrace a brand and — more importantly — go out and sing its praises can't be underestimated. 

It's these people who will really help a company hit all the right notes."

chad_little_4.jpg

How do you find and engage your customers?

MailChimp, an email marketing service, has been really effective for us. 

We've found that it allows us to deliver quality email content consistently and efficiently. It's also helped us reach new and existing customers, while engaging the ones that really jam with our brand.

How do you avoid any bum notes when you're pricing your products?

When we first started out, we had no clue how to price an item. We based it on whether it seemed like it was a difficult product to make. 

However, over the last six years, we've developed a more systematic pricing method based on variables like manufacturing complexity, the design method and the type of leather we use. Each little thing that goes into the product has a price, which is something every seller needs to be aware of.

chad_little_3.jpg

Your business is buzzing, but how have you managed to harmonize with your employees?

Ethos has an amazing team of dedicated people, all tending to the different needs of the business. But it’s the owner of a company who has to make it work overall. They have to be a leader, set goals and always be racing towards that finish line. The rest will follow.

If you could leave us with one catchy business tip, what would it be?

Don't get discouraged. Don't let money hold you back or dictate your success, especially in the beginning. Building a business takes time, and if it's worth starting, then it’s worth finishing.  

Before you step off stage, what would you like to learn from a community of other small business owners like yourself?

I'd like to know how to maintain growth, build a quality customer base and bring consistency to our sales.

chad_little_5.jpg 

Calling all creative small business owners out there!

Have *you* discovered the secret to forming your own band of followers online through showcasing great reviews or using social media to celebrate your fans? How have you learned to maintain that growth and bring consistency to your sales? 

If you have tips to share with Chad — or if you simply want to share your story! — tell us more in the comments below. :-)

Need to get in touch?

Contact us