cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Everything you need to know about banking in QuickBooks Online - Discover more
ShanaNiederman
Level 6

Nick Leffler Gives Away Valuable Information for Free. Learn Why It's a Strategy He Swears By

large.png

Name: Nick Leffler

Business: Exprance

Founded: 2014

Nick Leffler is no stranger to the side-gig. Whether he was in school studying web design or employed full-time at companies offering Internet communications and digital marketing services, for years Nick dug deeper into those fields by working for himself, too.

In 2014, Nick decided he was ready to focus on helping small businesses reach new customers in the digital age. Today, Nick is dedicated to building his own dream, not someone else’s. Here, the self-declared “online presence coordinator” and founder of Exprance explains why he recommends giving away priceless information for free and why, when it comes to some clients, sometimes it pays to just say no.

Nick, tell us about your business and how it came to be.

I’ve always worked in the field of Internet technology in some way, whether it was web design, online marketing or digital communications. There are plenty of companies offering websites and other marketing tools, but I take a different approach to my business. I don’t sell a product or a commodity; I sell business growth and a return on investment (ROI). My customers are business owners who want to refresh or improve their online presence and convert leads into actual customers. My job is to understand my clients’ industry, their business goals and how their online presence is (or isn’t) working for them. I come up with an overall project estimate using a four-step process that includes conducting industry-specific research and a phone interview to discuss target audience and other details.

What’s your most effective strategy for getting new clients?

Aside from referrals and search engine listings, my primary marketing tool is giving away valuable information for free. I send out a newsletter every other week and update my blog twice a week. My subscribers get access to lots of meaningful, targeted articles and insights to help them grow their business online. I also offer a free, personalized “online presence report” and free “review” templates to send to existing customers so they can easily post a positive review online.

Helping, rather than simply selling, is key for building a lasting, trust-based relationship with my audience. When they want to learn more about growing their audience, they already know I can help them solve problems and reach new customers. As I explain on my website, “Sounds odd giving all this info away free, right? It's not. How else would you know I'm a great fit to help you grow your brand online?”

549x549.png

When you work for yourself, it can be hard to imagine ever saying “no” to a potential client. Thoughts?

I try to avoid ever having to “sack” a customer by setting very clear expectations and deliverables upfront. Once I’ve assessed a client’s existing online presence and business goals, I gauge how much growth and ROI I believe I can deliver and in what timeframe. If a client has unrealistic expectations, I let them know right away. For instance, I’ll say I can help you with “X” but not necessarily “Y,” or I’ll extend a deadline to make sure it’s realistic. I’m always honest in my feedback and appraisal, even if it ultimately means turning down a new customer. I’d say about 20% of prospective clients are a really good fit.

Any particular challenge you’ve faced in working for yourself?

My ongoing, everyday challenge is learning when to do something myself and when to farm it out to an expert. For example, if a client wants a new logo or has some other graphic design need, I’ll work with a professional designer who can do the job better than I. Of course, I always weigh in on the work and integrate feedback from the customer. I have a great working relationship with a stable of people I rely on to produce high quality work that extends the value I can provide to clients.

Nick, what tips do you have for other entrepreneurs?

First, always be authentic. Be yourself, and don’t be afraid to let clients see who you really are.

Second, always do what’s best for your customer. Not only will they thank you for your hard work, you’ll be happier with yourself. Plus, you’ll be on track for building lasting relationships and getting great referrals down the road.

Third, make sure you charge a fair amount for your product or services. You don't have to get rich, but you should charge enough that you’re happy to do the work exceptionally well. If you undercharge, you won't be happy. And nobody does their best work when they're not happy.

What do you hope to get from being part of a small business community?

I love meeting other business owners to get a better idea of what they do and the problems they face. Communities like this one are a great place to meet other people who work for themselves and to understand what makes their business tick.

QB Community members, do you give products or services away for free? If so, why? We hope you’ll share your valuable experience in the comments below.

9 REPLIES 9
EmilyCowan
Level 7

Nick Leffler Gives Away Valuable Information for Free. Learn Why It's a Strategy He Swears By

Helping, rather than simply selling, is key for building a lasting, trust-based relationship with my audience.

I love this! It may seem counterintuitive to give away services for free, but there's a reason why the "free sample" has been such a time-honored marketing tactic - if you like it, you'll want more. There's no better advertisement for services than results. 

Jess W
Intuit

Great post, @ShanaNiederman !

I am a health and fitness blogger. At the beginning of the year, (when everyone wanted to 'get fit' for their new year resolution) I trialled giving away free PDF printable healthy recipes. This went down a treat and it directed traffic to my website! I advertised these PDFs across my social channels before I launched them - this got people really excited.

I may now develop a recipe E-book for people to purchase off my website. Giving away the free PDFs allowed people to have a taste of what is to come. A great selling point! 

coherentcreativ I would love to know if you have ever considered this? Have you ever given something away for free?

@EmilyMockett I would love your input on this too! What products do you give away and why? :) Comment below!

QB Community Home          Talk About Your Business 

Find Inspiration     

EmilyMockett
Level 7

Hi Jess,

Well firstly I give away my knowledge on QuickBooks Community. As an accountancy practice we usually charge for training and support for our clients but here I answer many questions off of my own back - I think it a great way for me to learn about first hand experiences that people are having with QuickBooks Online which will help me improve the way I help people going forward.

I also have a YouTube channel with free content on it for anyone to have a look at. You can find this by searching 'PJCO accountants' within YouTube or clicking here: PJCO YouTube Channel

We also recommend lots of free apps that integrate with QuickBooks Online. A lot of our clients have never heard of the apps before, let alone know they are free to use so are thrilled when they find out they don't cost a penny!

Kind Regards,

Emily

Jess W
Intuit

Thank you @EmilyMockett for sharing your tips in the comments! They sound like great ideas.

YouTube videos are brilliant and a great educational tool... Great for referencing again in the future! YouTube videos are also a good tool for mini video advertisements too. The possibilities are endless! Instagram and Facebook videos are also good for this.

In terms of giving this away, have you ever done a Facebook Live event for your company? They're brilliant too! 

I hope you have a great day, Emily :) Thank you for your contribution! 

Find Inspiration     

EmilyMockett
Level 7

Hi Jess,

We actually attempted to 'Go Live' the other day when we hosted a QuickBooks event for our local Chamber of Commerce (Brighton). 

Technical issues on the day meant we ended up just recording the session and I don't think it managed to go live but we will no doubt try this again at our next event as I think it is a great way to get people involved. Maybe I could let the community members know the next time we are going to go live so they can tune and let me know their thoughts and any feedback?

Kind Regards,

Emily

Jess W
Intuit

Oh yes, this can sometimes happen @EmilyMockett! What a shame. Although, it's good that you recorded it for future reference. Good luck with the next Facebook Live, I hope it all goes well :)

We are going to be launching some exciting things here in the Community, similar to Facebook Live events but they will be hosted here. I shall let you know more about this soon! It's very exciting.

Find Inspiration     

Jess W
Intuit

Hi, @ParkwayInc

When we spoke the other day, you told me that you are a CTO and Co-Founder of a business (which is amazing! :) ).  I was wondering, do you give products or services away for free to your clients? I.e: additional learning materials or guidance...

I would love to know in the comments below!

Find Inspiration     

ParkwayInc
Level 6

Hello Jessica,

Thanks for inviting me to the conversation!  Our company, Parkway Business Solutions provides accounting and payroll services to entrepreneurs, startups, and small businesses, and we openly share are two most valuable products, knowledge and time

As a value-based firm that believes in results-oriented billing, we understand that the goals of our clients very seldom align themselves with a time clock and often require flexibility of resources to be accomplished.  When we are speaking with current or potential client, it has been our belief that "information is always free” and that it is through collaboration we all succeed.  

The challenge with this model, is no different than any inventory-based business, if you give away too much product you will end up with nothing left to sell, and if you price your products to high, you may find yourself with extra stock just sitting on the shelves.  

I wish I could say that we have mastered the proper balance between how much time we can openly share and still be successful, but I believe that will always be a work in progress. 

If you will excuse a shameless plug for our upcoming QuickBooks Desktop application called Vendorsync, we will absolutely be offering a free version of our service as well as a subscription-based version.  

50% of my marketing is working. The problem is I don't know which 50%

Think of free products and services like marketing, you may not know which free thing helped tipped the scale in your favor so enhance your analytics (business tracking) and keep doing what you are doing.  Keep repeating that same cycle making minor improvements till the data illuminates the winners and losers.

Most importantly, when you give away that product or service, do so knowing that nothing may come from it, that way you will always end up in the positive even if it is nothing more than knowing you helped someone else out!

Jess W
Intuit

Hi, @ParkwayInc

I completely agree with finding the correct balance!

However, sharing a free tool is a brilliant marketing tactic. Whenever you share a new (free) product via social media, using trackable links to measure your analytics is great! It allows you to see how successful the product is and then you can develop the product and make it an item which could be purchased. 

Alternatively, you could create excitement on your social platforms and create a shortened version of an original document. As an example: you could create a small "how-to document" - a simple step by step guide for using your software. If the smaller version (which is free) is successful, you could advertise a larger version and make this a purchasable item. This way, you're giving back and creating excitement, but also gaining in return! 

Do you host Facebook Live events? Or do you use Instagram? - these are great platforms for videos! - building a relationship with your customers is vital. Without that connection that human connection, it's meaningless. How do you maintain that connection, is it important for you?

Great to chat, @ParkwayInc!

Find Inspiration     

Need to get in touch?

Contact us