cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
EmilyCowan
Level 7

QUESTION: What's your best trick for remembering someone's name at a networking event or meetup?

handshake.stocksy.jpgShare your favorite mnemonic device! 

4 Comments 4
ShanaNiederman
Level 6

QUESTION: What's your best trick for remembering someone's name at a networking event or meetup?

As I'm shaking the person's hand, I say their name in my head for each up/down part of the gesture. Then, I use their name in the very next sentence I say to them. Sometimes, I even just look them in the eye and say their name out loud with a smile. Most of the time, that works for me!

EmilyCowan
Level 7

@ShanaNiederman that's a good one!

I personally love that trick about putting name tags on the left side so they're more noticeable when you shake hands with someone (because most of us are right-handed). I find that visual reinforcement really helpful.

JohnSadler
Level 2

Something that made a big impression on me once was attending an event and then just days after the event was over - I received a SendOutCards postcard in the mail from someone who took a picture with me.  He put a really nice note along with the picture and it made me remember him over everyone else and I didn't toss it in the trash like I did a lot of business cards from people I didn't remember.  I think that is a great strategy!

EmilyCowan
Level 7

Wow, @JohnSadler - that IS a memorable strategy. Adding a personal touch to any follow-up can make all the difference, and if you're genuinely interested in the people you meet that's relatively easy to do.

I've found that it's actually easier for me to remember a person if I also commit a standout detail to memory. So, when I meet a new person I might say to myself, "This is so-and-so and he told me his office is just down the street from his house." It's a helpful mnemonic device in the moment and I can mention his short commute the next time we meet. Often the details that help us remember make us more memorable, too!

Do you attend many conferences in your line of work? If so, do you consider them a good opportunity to broaden your network or mainly just a way to stay on top of industry trends?

Need to get in touch?

Contact us