Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Everything you need to know about banking in QuickBooks Online - Discover more
EmilyCowan
Level 7

Study: Kindness in the Workplace Makes for Better, Happier Employees

happyworker.stocksy.jpg

The next time you feel inspired to do something nice for someone, consider directing that impulse toward your employees - it will make them better workers, according to a recent study

Employees at a Spanish company were randomly assigned the roles of Giver, Receiver, or Control. Givers were provided with a personalized list of Receivers and a mission: practice five random acts of kindness over the next month. 

The benefits were striking. In the short-term both Givers and Receivers actually became more effective at their jobs, rating higher on weekly measures of competence and autonomy. Over the long-term Givers said they felt more satisfied with their lives and jobs, and Receivers reported feeling happier overall. Even better? Receivers were nearly three times more likely to "pay it forward" by performing acts of kindness toward others both at work and at home. 

I've written about this before, but given the sheer amount time and energy we spend at work it seems there is no downside - and quite a significant upside - to bringing our best selves to our jobs and the people we encounter there, be they employees, partners, customers, or clients.

How do you rate the importance of kindness and generosity of spirit in the workplace when there are so many more concrete and quantifiable measures of a healthy business? Is there anything you do on a regular basis to improve "quality of life" at work?

10 REPLIES 10
ShanaNiederman
Level 6

I try to show I care about the people around for who they are when they aren't at work. Knowing about someone's loved ones, hobbies and other pursuits, and caring enough to ask can go a really long way to a feeling of connectedness.

EmilyCowan
Level 7

That's such a good point, @ShanaNiederman. Those small gestures recognize the employee as both as an individual with external responsibilities and stressors and also as a valued member of the team.

Jess W
Intuit

A great post. I do the same as @ShanaNiederman ! I also always try and compliment people. 1 positive gesture a day can change a whole workforce. 

I would love to know how @nparsons75 keeps the morale high in the football team? Is this challenging? And is it a key goal for your team?

QB Community UK Home          Talk About Your Business 

Find Inspiration     

Jess W
Intuit

Hi, @EmilyMockett,

How are things? :) I hope you're enjoying the sunshine!

In regards to this post, a positive working environment leads to amazing outcomes. Having kindness as a key factor in the workplace is so important for me. Tasks are achieved in a more efficient manner, the atmosphere is much more pleasant and we all look forward to work every single day! Plus, when you love your job, you never have to 'work' a day in your life again. 

How do you rate the importance of kindness and generosity in the workplace? Is there anything you do on a regular basis to improve your 'quality of life' at work or keep the spirits high? I would love to know your ideas on this.

QB Community Home          Talk About Your Business 

Find Inspiration     

EmilyMockett
Level 7

Hi Jess,

I am good thank you - I hope you are well also. We are indeed enjoying the sunshine down in West Sussex. Luckily PJCO are right on the beach so lunch breaks sitting in the sun are currently happening which is great! I hear the temperature in central London is even hotter than down here! 

Kindness and generosity go a long way. I regularly offer to make tea and coffee for the office that I work in as well as occasionally bake the odd cake to take in - everyone loves a bit of office cake! Our workplace is also a great environment to work in as there are a lot of trainees studying towards ACCA. You always know if you are struggling on revision for accountancy exams someone would have been there before you and can offer a helping hand or a little guidance. As we are such a small office it is nice that we all sit in one room and are constantly kept in the loop and can communicate freely.

Kind Regards,

Emily

Jess W
Intuit

Hi Emily and happy Monday!

Oh wow, that sounds lovely. Yes, here in London, it's scorching! Especially in the city. Wish we had the seaside, fresh air is bliss.

I totally agree. Kind gestures in the workplace go a long way and they help build a stronger and more successful work environment. You're really fortunate to have consistent communication in your company. Sometimes, it can be challenging to keep up-to-date with what everyone is doing if people work remote. I find that apps like Wrike and Gmail, help everyone keep track tasks and stay up to speed with short-term and long-term targets. 

Even though as a team you are all in one office, do you have more formal meetings as a team to keep up-to-date with everything? How do you keep track of what everyone is doing? I would love to know! :) 

Find Inspiration     

EmilyMockett
Level 7

Hi Jess,

We do have formal meetings on a regular basis in the meeting room but our practice is very much an open and honest culture and everyone has an input into decisions. 

We use 'Slack' which integrates directly with QBO 'Work' which is a management tool for accountants to keep track of projects that they are working on. We use this for QB Migrations and Set Ups we are currently have in progress. It is a great way to communicate as you can keep managers up to date with the progress of their clients journey transitioning to the cloud. 

Kind Regards,

Emily

Jess W
Intuit

Hi Emily,

That's really lovely. I am sure you look forward to work every morning and you're a lot more productive in the relaxed and positive environment?

Yes, I am familiar with Slack too. I use this for instant messaging and it's a brilliant tool for communication. That's really interesting to see how you use Slack too! I am sure it's so handy for you. 

With your job, are you able to work from home? :) Is your job flexible? 

Find Inspiration     

EmilyMockett
Level 7

Hi Jess,

The advantage of working within the cloud on QuickBooks Online is that it can be accessed anywhere meaning that I can work from home if necessary. We also work off a hosted environment so this allows me to be able to access other documents that are not in the cloud from home too which is great.

Kind Regards,

Emily

Jess W
Intuit

Hi Emily,

That's brilliant! Yes, I like working from home as it allows me to be focused and I am usually more productive. However, a team environment is great for brainstorming ideas. Great info, Emily! :) 

Hi, @ParkwayInc, I would love to know your thoughts on this post! Do you work in an office environment or are you based from home? How do you rate the importance of kindness and generosity of spirit in the workplace? :) 

Find Inspiration     

Need to get in touch?

Contact us