Announcements
Everything you need to know about banking in QuickBooks Online - Discover more
Jess W
Intuit

The Power of Great Coaching: One Marketing Entrepreneur’s Story

Marketing.pngName: Edna Wilson

Business: Wilson Marketing & PR

Founded: 2015

After years of helping organisations with their public communications, Edna Wilson was ready to strike out on her own. As a marketing professional, she had plenty of industry experience. What she didn’t have, however, was a clear vision of how to position her professional skills with her personal interests and passions. Thanks to the time she spent working with 2 different coaches, Edna found her niche.

How did you get established as a freelance marketer?

Before I founded my business, I worked for a bunch of other companies in order to get experience. One of the most wonderful experiences was freelancing for a regional alternative health and food magazine. I did this for 9 years! That helped me get established.

What made you go from freelancing to opening a full-time business?

I’ve held full-time jobs and freelanced on the side for many years. Finally, I said “I need to give working for myself a real shot.” To be honest, I was getting made redundant too much. I worked for charities that just dissolved and couldn't pay me. I didn’t want to be so reliant on a particular company for a paycheque.

I thought I'd have more security and control if I ran my own business, which has proven true. I’m not making the same consistent money I once did, but I’ve been able to diversify my work.

How did you fine-tune your business plan?

I have a coach and mentor who took all my experience and basically helped me position it into a viable business. He's very good at positioning and has helped me figure out how to market my skills so I can serve the people and organisations that need me most.

My coach helped me position the business based on my skill set, interests and passions, as well as what comes naturally for me. The focus of my business is to make marketing simple and easy for whoever hires me. A lot of what I do is give people marketing ideas and then help them implement them. 

What are the biggest challenges you’ve encountered so far?

I didn't realise how difficult it was to be self-employed. I have a writing background, not a sales background. I’ve realised along the way how significant the sales component is.

As a service-based entrepreneur, you have to sell yourself as well as your product or your service. I'd always hated sales. My coach has a direct-sales background of 30 years, so he's very good at this. He's also good at teaching people how to sell in a way that is easier for them. He’s helped me get a lot more comfortable with sales.

How do you get through slow periods?

To be honest, it’s been hard. There isn’t much to do besides “suck it up” and keep persevering. I tend to be very persistent. One thing that’s helped is having some consistent clients and work. For example, I still hold a part-time job managing our local farmer’s market. That offers me consistent income and gives me a lot of momentum during slow periods with planning, connecting and networking. When my business slows down during the summer, I have the farmer's market, which keeps me busy.

What do you want from a small business community?

I focus quite a bit on community and connecting with other small business owners. I’m part of a few online communities because they allow me to connect with people like me. These are places I can go for support, a recommendation or to have a question answered. It’s nice to be able to meet face-to-face and connect with people locally, as well as online.

I’ve also gone on a number of small business retreats, where I’ve met other small business owners and spent time focusing on building my business.

What advice would you give to other small business owners?

Get a coach. If you have a coach you can trust, you can develop a relationship with someone who understands what you’re going through. Coaches often know how to get your business organised quicker, and they can tell you “don't waste your energy here” or “put your energy into creating systems”, which is one of the big things that I have learned to do.

I’ve worked with 2 different coaches who have varying specialities. They’ve both helped me build my business and prioritise my efforts. Hiring coaches have been the best thing I’ve done for my business.

small.jpeg

Ready to be a part of an online business community to get virtual help and support from other small business owners like Edna? Join the QB Community! Click HERE to sign up in a flash! 

7 REPLIES 7
Jess W
Intuit

Hi, @EmilyMockett and @ParkwayInc!

I hope the sun is shining where you are, it certainly is here in London, it's still scorching!

What I would love to know is, when you were first starting out, did you have a coach that helped you? Was there one person who made an impact on your career?

I know for me, my parents, my university teachers and my previous work colleagues have all made a huge impact on my career and how I structure things. On a daily basis, I am always aware of my surroundings and I allow people to teach me new things. Whether I am inspired by a stranger or inspired by my manager, I always try and take something away from the situation I am experiencing. My dad has helped me with my positive attitude towards obstacles, my university teachers have helped me with having discipline and my previous work colleagues have taught me how to adapt to different situations. My list is endless!

QB Community Home          Talk About Your Business 

Find Inspiration     

EmilyMockett
Level 7

Hi Jess,

My mum is incredibly supportive of me training to become an accountant. She supports me continously throughout my studies (which are times are a little tricky!) and even though she doesn't know anything about accounting she will test me out of my text book etc to help me.

I have a great group of colleagues and I operate in a very small team of me and my manager so I get 1-1 support on a daily basis which has enabled me to pick up QuickBooks Online very quickly. 

Kind Regards,

Emily

Jess W
Intuit

Good morning @EmilyMockett!! 

How is the weather where you are today? I cannot believe the sunshine here in London!

That's really great, family support is always appreciated and it's wonderful that she takes interest in what you're doing. 

How does your manager support you with your work? Does he/she give you tips on what courses to do? How do you keep up-to-date with everything in the world of accounting? 

Also, did you ever do work experience? Work experience has been vital for my progression over the years. Sadly, it wasn't paid experience... But the skills I learnt outweighed the no money situation.

Thanks for your great comment, @EmilyMockett! :)

Find Inspiration     

EmilyMockett
Level 7

Hi Jess,

Weather is still lovely down our way, 

My manager supports me with my everyday tasks and also with my examinations for my accounting qualification. He regularly sends me content to learn from such as webinars, blogs, Linked In articles along with many other things. 

I did work experience when I was about 16 in a clothing retailer in Brighton. Even though I didn't go into this field of work, I do believe I learnt a lot from that experience through working alongside others and interacting with the general public. These skills can be transferred to all job roles and I think you can always extract and adapt skills you may learn and apply them so they are relevant to you in all experiences in life.

Emily

Jess W
Intuit

Hi, @EmilyMockett

Thanks for the comment and great to hear that the sun is STILL shining, it's amazing!

Oh, that's great. Gathering resources off others is always interesting, I love doing this to get someone else's perspective on things. Blogs are a handful resource! I always gravitate to them or YouTube videos.

I agree with the work experience aspect. I worked in retail for many years when I was 16 and it taught me so much. I learnt all about customer service, I gained confidence and I learnt a lot about marketing and visual merchandising, four things I have carried through with me now. The jobs we don't always want to do, teach us a lot and it's nice to reflect, isn't it? 

Have you ever been a mentor for anyone? Or a coach? I suppose with the nature of your job, you are a coach for people who struggle with their finances? Smiley Surprised

Find Inspiration     

EmilyMockett
Level 7

Hi Jess,

I like to think that I am a coach and mentor to all of my clients as my primary role at PJCO is cloud based accounting support in QuickBooks Online. On a daily basis I assist people with their QuickBooks queries via email and telephone. I also complete initial training for people. 

Kind Regards,

Emily

Jess W
Intuit

Hi, @EmilyMockett!

It's a big responsibility to assist others and be their mentor but it's also very rewarding, just like you have said before, helping others and seeing them succeed is the best feeling.

Giving back has helped me so much, it's rewarded me in many different ways and I have met a lot of people through this strategy.

We really appreciate you sharing your information here, @EmilyMockett! :) 

Find Inspiration     

Need to get in touch?

Contact us