When using Windows Vista/Windows 7/Windows Server 2008, you may be prompted to Save As because User Account Control (UAC) is turned on. You may need to perform the following to save the file.
- In the Save As window, enter "hosts" (include the quote marks) in the File Name field.
- Select Desktop as the Save As location, then select Save.
- Find the hosts file on the desktop, right-click, and choose Copy.
- Go to C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\Etc. Find the hosts file, right-click, and choose Rename.
- Rename the hosts file to hosts old, then select Continue.
- Press CTRL+V keys to paste the new hosts file and select Continue.
Note: Repeat steps 1-6 for additional computers running Windows Vista/Windows 7/Windows Server 2008.