This happens when QuickBooks Online detects that you have activated payroll features, which may include Billing Hold, Direct Deposit Enrollment, and E-Services Enrollment (US only).
How do I fix this error?
- For Windows users
- If you have payroll turned off in your Desktop file, but have payroll turned on in your QuickBooks Online subscription. To turn on Payroll for QuickBooks Desktop, go to Edit, then select Preferences and go to Payroll & Employees. Select Company Preferences, then choose Full Payroll (or Online Payroll).
|Note: This error also occurs if there is no payroll info (employees & paychecks.|
- For Mac users (US only)
- Payroll features are not available for QuickBooks Desktop for Mac. You cannot import a Mac file to a QuickBooks Online company that has existing employee/payroll info.
- If you're using Intuit Online Payroll to export transactions to your file, you can disconnect from QuickBooks Desktop for Mac, then export the transactions to QuickBooks Online.
|Note: If you have special discounts for your Payroll Service, contact Payroll support before creating a new account. Creating a new account could remove your discounts.|
- If you've activated Payroll features, or imported/created payroll previously, you will need to do the following:
- Create a new QuickBooks Online account and import your Desktop data into the new account.
- If you don't want to create a new account and haven't activated E-Services (which is only available for QuickBooks Desktop for Windows ):
- Go to Edit, then select Preferences and go to Payroll & Employees.
- Select the Company Preferences tab, then Full Payroll.
- Create a dummy or test Employee. (Note: You can be delete them after import.)
- Pay the dummy Employee with a Paycheck. (Note: This can also be deleted after import.)
- Retry importing to QuickBooks Online.
|Note: You may have to enable Manual Payroll to complete these steps. If you don't want to overwrite your existing payroll info, create a new QuickBooks Online account instead.|