State and Federal forms (W-2, W-3, 940, and 941)
- Go to the Employees menu, then select Payroll Tax Forms & W-2s > Process Payroll Forms.
- Select Create Form after selecting the appropriate form.
- Make sure the correct period is entered under Select Filing Period. You can select Auto-Fill Contact Info at the top right to populate your form. Note that you can also change the information on the tax form when you view it.
- Select OK. QuickBooks Desktop enters the payroll data automatically into the fields on the form.
Note: If you need assistance completing your state form, select View details about this form or View filing and printing instructions at the bottom.
- Select Check for Errors to look and correct possible errors. Just double-click the error to be redirected to its corresponding section.
- If necessary, compare the form to the Payroll Summary Report.
For Federal forms, compare it to the Employee State Taxes Detail report (go to the Reports menu, then select Employees & Payroll > Employee State Taxes Detail).
Note: To modify a number that QuickBooks Desktop filled in automatically, right-click the field, then choose Override. If you can't override a number for a few cents (usually due to rounding), create a liability adjustment for the amount.
- Select Save as PDF to save a copy of the file. You can later open the file by going to the Saved Filings.
- At this point, you can either print the form or submit it for electronic filing if you are enrolled to e-file services.
|Note for State forms: Many QuickBooks Desktop forms look different from the versions that the states publish. QuickBooks Desktop forms comply with the state's requirements, have been approved, and can still be filed with your state. Some state forms, including those for Oregon and Texas, look like they are printing without any formatting, boxes, or instructions (just dollar amounts). These forms are still correct and can be filed on blank paper.|