cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Intuit

Import custom form styles for invoices or estimates

Learn how to import custom form styles for your invoices or estimates.

QuickBooks Online lets you import custom form styles in DOCX format from Word. Here are some guidelines and steps for designing, mapping, and uploading your form.

Design your custom form style

Know the do's and don'ts when designing your DOCX template. Learning these basics can go a long way towards perfecting your custom form.

Import your custom form style

Ready to use your custom form style? Start creating invoices or estimates with your style now.

Get help if you encounter errors

If you get errors when uploading your form or matching fields, here's how you can fix them:

Fix errors when uploading

Error code What does it mean? How can I fix it?
size_validation_error Your file is too large to upload. Make sure your document is less than 2MB.
extension_format_error The file you selected isn't of a type we support. Try uploading a Microsoft Office 2010+ (*.docx) file

Fix errors when matching fields

Error code What does it mean? How can I fix it?
Fetching preview failed An attempt to create a preview of your style failed. Check for angle brackets applied in the wrong place or applied incorrectly. Try to reduce fields marked with brackets until Preview succeeds and then add them back in one at a time to isolate the mapping error.
Save Mapping failed The selected mappings could not be saved. Try again or contact support.
No Mapping found QuickBooks couldn't find any field that required mapping. Make sure to use angle brackets (<>) for elements on your template that should be mapped to QuickBooks fields.
Multiple Page Document The document uploaded has multiple pages. Make sure your document only has one page.

Frequently Asked Questions

Here are answers to commonly asked questions about importing custom form styles.

Why do I see this message? "We can't display a preview.  Please correct your mappings in the previou...

Certain fields are expected to be inside tables. For example, line item info like Quantity, Product, and Price are tabular (or table fields) and should be inside tables. Make sure to map these fields inside tables in your DOCX file. Learn more about table fields in the "Make mapping pain-free" section of this article.

Some data are not appearing in the printed or preview document. Why?

Your Master form style decides how data is handled and shown in all your forms. For example, if the "Form numbers" field on your Master form is unchecked, your invoice number won't appear on your custom form styles, regardless if you added it on the invoice.

Enable the desired settings in your Master form style by following the steps below:

1. Select the Gear icon on the Toolbar, then Custom Form Styles under Your Company.
  2. Find the Standard template (Form Type is Master), then select Edit.
  3. Customize the template as you desire, then select Save.

Your data should now appear in your imported style.

Is there any restriction on what I can upload?

You can only import Word (.docx) documents under 2MB.

Can I upload a style with multiple pages?

Custom form styles with multiple pages are not supported. However, your final invoice can take multiple pages depending on the amount of line items you enter.

Can I download my imported form style?

You can save a PDF copy of your custom form style. However, you can't download them in their original DOCX format. What you can do is to save a local copy of the template you uploaded, and take a quick note of the mappings you made.

Do I have to have a field mapped to import a style?

Yes. The style you want to import should have at least one field that has to be mapped to QuickBooks fields.

Why are tables in my style not printing right?

Always keep your table layouts separate. Tables placed inside of tables, or merging and splitting cells can cause unexpected results. Try using tables with simple rows and columns.