cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Established Member

2016-2019 Migration for large file set

Hello, I'm hoping to locate documentation to assist our end users on migrating from 2016-2019

The migration to 2019 requires files be opened in single-user, upgraded, and then all user profiles upgraded to a more secure password (8 characters, 1 upper, 1 special) and a Security Question. Of their 160+ company files, most have between 3-5 users. This will slow the process down. Plus, we had major issues when going to R21, a major update of 2016. We want to develop a workflow where 
staff can handle the upgrades themselves, but revert if they start to find file corruption.
2 Comments
QuickBooks Team

Re: 2016-2019 Migration for large file set

Thanks for checking in with us, AlexGold.

I'm here to help you with migrating your 2016 file to 2019. Let's get this sorted out.

To better isolate the issue, you may want to update your QuickBooks password. Complex passwords must be changed every 90 days. QuickBooks prompts you to change your password near the end of the 90 days as well as on the expiration date itself.

After updating the password, you can follow the steps below to migrate your file to 2019.

1. Launch your new version of QuickBooks Mac Desktop.
  2. Select File and choose Open Company.
  3. Browse to your data file, select your company file and click Open.
  4. Read the info on the upgrade dialog. Choose Upgrade to open.
  5. Log into the company file as the Admin user.
  6. Select OK on the following dialog stating the file has been upgraded.
  7. Once the file is upgraded, you'll need to:
    Store the backup you created in a safe location until you are certain you won't need it again.
    If you copied the data file from another computer to upgrade it, copy it back again.
    If you cannot find your data file in its original location and if it is not in the specified folder, search your hard drive for *.qb*, which will find all QuickBooks Company files.

You may find these articles helpful:

If you'd like to go through this over the phone, you can call our dedicated team who will be happy to assist you. Our contact details can be found here along with our opening hours.

1. Go to: https://help.quickbooks.intuit.com/en_US/contact.
  2. Choose your QuickBooks Product.
  3. Select your QuickBooks version.
  4. On the Contact Us page, click a topic.
  5. Click on the Get Phone Number button to see the support number.

Let me know how it goes by leaving a reply below or if you ran into a different situation so I can look further into this.

Established Community Backer ***

Re: 2016-2019 Migration for large file set

QuickBooks Mac doesn't require the files be upgraded every 90 days. But you will have to update the passwords when upgrading to 2019 for the first time.  User passwords have t one reset - there's no way around that as its technically necessary.

2019 has now been out since last September - you shouldn't encounter any corruption issues.  But then there shouldn't have been corruption issues before, either.  Given the large number of company files my concern is that you may have the company files on a network drive that is sharing them.  That isn't supported and it is possible to experience corruption of CoreData files when operating with network file systems (this has been documented by Apple in their CoreData notes).

Instead, if the files are shared over a network, the supported way to accomplish this is via the QuickBooks Server application.   With 2019 it may also be possible to share the files via iCloud or another file sharing service. In that case the users would open the local copy of the file created by the sharing service (DropBox, GoogleDrive, etc).  The only officially supported one is iCloud but the others should also work - its best to conduct a test first.