Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Established Member

Can I open a QB 2015 file in QB 2019?

Need to open an older QB file. 

5 Comments
Established Community Backer ***

Re: Can I open a QB 2015 file in QB 2019?

Yes you can open a 2015 file in 2019 by just starting the 2019 version and browsing for your file and selecting it to open BUT after updating it can no longer be opened by 2015 program. That is why I always suggest using backup/restore when upgrading so that you always have the older existing version to fall back on if something goes wrong. In fact you shoukd always consider installing the upgraded 2019 as Advanced and choose to keep older version rather than Express which deletes older version of software in the process, leaving you with no alternative if something doesn't work as it should 

Established Member

Thank you.

Established Member

I'm trying to restore a back up copy from 2015 to my 2017 (also tried on 2019) keeps telling me that I need to have the administrator update the file, won't let me restore.  It's a client file, they have no clue and I don't know what to tell him

QuickBooks Team

Hello there, @Advtaxserv.

I want to help ensure isolate this error so you keep your QuickBooks up and running. 

You'll need to log into QuickBooks Desktop as the admin user. Once completed,  you can now start updating your client's company file.

Here's how:

1. Go to the File menu.
  2. Choose Open or Restore Company.
  3. Select Open a company file then Next.
  4. Highlight your data file then select Open.
  5. Read the info in the Update Company File for New Version pane.
  6. Check the box to signify you understand, then select Update Now.
  7. Follow the instructions on how to back up your file. Note where you save your file.
  8. When You are about to open a company file using a newer version of QuickBooks...Do you want to continue? appears, select Yes.

For additional insights, you may check out this article: Upgrade to a new QuickBooks Desktop version.

Feel free to click the Reply button if you have other questions about restoring your company file. I'm always here to  help.

Established Community Backer ***

There is an issue on the QB Windows side that to my knowledge has not been fixed.