cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Experienced Member

Can't update with my new iMac & Mojave

I just bought the new iMac.  I loaded up my all my files and applications, including QB 2016, from my backup.  QB 2016 crashes when I log a payment.  It also won't let me e-mail invoices.  It says my default needs to be Mail or Outlook.  I confirmed that my default mailbox is Mail.  From this Q&A, I saw people having issues and the first thing recommended is to make sure I'm running the latest version.  When I go to "Check for QB updates" I get an error  "Quickbooks can't be updated when it's running from a read-only volume like a disk image or an optical drive.  Move Quickbooks to your Application folder, relaunch it from there and try again".   QB is in my Application Folder.   Ideas???  

5 Comments
Established Community Backer **

Re: Can't update with my new iMac & Mojave

First - when QB is running control-click on it in the dock and select Options->Show in Finder from the dock menu.  This will show you where the copy of QuickBooks you are running is located. Is it really in the /Applications folder?  If it isn't quit QuickBooks and drag it there.

If it _is_ in the /Applications folder then select it and choose File->Get Info.  Make sure it is not locked. Make sure the logged in user has read and write permissions.  You may have changed your user name when you created your new iMac user account. 

Once those two are done you should be able to choose QuickBooks->Check for Updates.  Do that.

Experienced Member

Thanks for your suggestions, but sadly, I followed your directions and confirmed it is running in Applications and my account is not no locked and I do have read/write permissions.  

I still get the error about not being about to update from a read-only volume.  

QuickBooks Team

Hi Tward41,

Thanks for trying IntuitBrook's suggestion. At this point, I'd encourage you to contact our phone support to check this further. They can do a screen-sharing session to see your setup.

Here's how to get their number:

1. Open this link: https://help.quickbooks.intuit.com/en_US/contact.
  2. Choose QuickBooks Mac Desktop.
  3. Select Using QuickBooks for Mac.
  4. Scroll down and click the Get Phone Number button.

You can always visit us back here when you have other questions.

Highlighted
Established Community Backer **

Hmm.  That's very strange - I've never heard of that mechanism failing. Usually it means you have launched QuickBooks from within a disk image.

Try installing the app again from a download:

https://support.quickbooks.intuit.com/support/ProductUpdates.aspx

Experienced Member

I did contact the number and the woman was able to get me up and running.  She sent me a link to re-install QB as well as help me update the security on my mail.   I'm back in business now Smiley Happy