cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Established Member

Converted file will not restore

Trying to recreate my company from an older file converted to work with the current version of QB. Conversion worked fine. But when I try to restore the file to create a new company, it will not restore/open. Tried Desktop File Doctor, but it says I need Admin name or password that I do not have (bookkeeper from years ago did not leave that info). I HAVE to get this file to open. HELP!!!

2 Comments
Established Community Backer ***

Re: Converted file will not restore

hi @ kswestcott ,

Please give us more info:

1. QBW file of which QB version (year & edition) 

2. Your current QB (year & edition)

QuickBooks Team

Re: Converted file will not restore

Hi there, kswestcott.

You can use the Automated Password Reset Tool to remove the Admin Password. Here's how: 

1. Access the tool from this link: https://passwordreset.quickbooks.com/app/qbdt/passwordreset.
  2. Enter all required account information.
  3. Click Next and accept the License Agreement in the next page. 
  4. The tool will be downloaded automatically. In case the automatic download isn't working, select Download nowImportant: If it asks you to Run or Save the file, select Save and save it to your Desktop.
  5. Run the Automated password reset tool. Then, enter the token that you received via email.
  6. Follow the prompts in the succeeding pages. 
  7. Enter your New Password, then Confirm New Password.
  8. Select Reset Password to complete the process.

Here's a support article about using the tool for additional reference: Use the Automated Password Reset Tool for QuickBooks Desktop.

After removing the password, please follow the steps from these support pages on how to resolve common issues when opening company file:

I'll get back here to help you again in case you have follow-up questions.