cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Contributor *

Converting from QB Mac 2016 to QB Windows

How do I go about converting to QB windows version? Do I have to get the 2016 version or can I purchase the 2019? Will there be problems and limitations when converting?

Thank you in advance for your time

1 Comment
QuickBooks Team

Re: Converting from QB Mac 2016 to QB Windows

Glad to have you here in the Community, @BEllison

I'll share some insights about converting your QB Mac 2016 to into the Windows file.

You'll need to use the Windows 2016 file and make sure your computer meets the system requirements for your version of QuickBooks Desktop. 

Then, you must have the Admin password and should not enter data in your Mac file while it is being converted. Please keep in mind that not all data can be converted due to lack of features in QB for Mac compared to QB for Windows.

Here are some data that can be converted: 

• Payment terms list
  • Shipping via list
  • Customer type list
  • Vendor type list
  • Account list (chart of accounts)

You can check out this helpful article for a complete list. 

Then, you can perform these preparation steps in your Mac file to ensure a smooth conversion process. 

1. Update QuickBooks Desktop for Mac to the latest release
  2. Please check for any special characters in the file name and company name, such as !@#$%^&*. You can rename the file to remove the special characters. 
  3. You can review for any memos with names longer than 50 characters or containing special characters. 
  4. Delete all memorized transactions and memorized reports.
  5. Re-sort lists
  6. Verify and Rebuild data on your company file

Once done, you can perform the conversion steps outlined through this useful guide: Convert a QuickBooks Mac File to QuickBooks Windows and Back Again. This article also provides solutions if you're getting any conversion errors. 

You can also directly restore a backup of your company file using the QB Windows 2019 version. 

The information above will help you get back to business in no time, @BEllison

Drop me a comment below if you have any other concerns. I'll be here to help.