cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Experienced Member

HELP! Can't enter decimal in any amount field

When I logged in this month to reconcile the books, there was apparently an update to my Quickbooks Desktop Premier Edition 2017 and now none of my company files (we have 4) will let me enter amounts with decimal points (e.g. 3.45).

This includes:

- When I use the Write Checks option: I get an "invalid character" error when I enter a number with a decimal. I don't get the error if I enter a whole number (e.g. 3)

- When I use the Reconcile option: I don't see any decimals in the last month's balance amount and I get the "invalid character" error when I enter a number with a decimal. If I enter a whole number, I get the message that the difference is not quite 0

- When I open up the Chart of Accounts. None of the accounts show a total with a decimal. They are all whole numbers.

I sent the file to our accountant's office and they put it on all their systems and could not reproduce the error, so it sounds like an application problem, not a file problem.

Help! I can't do anything with the accounting until this is resolve. Has anyone else seen this recently? was there a recent update? If so, how can I roll back and see if that solves it for the time being?

8 Comments
QuickBooks Team

Re: HELP! Can't enter decimal in any amount field

Good day, YvonnePE.

Welcome to the Community. I'm here to provide insight with your decimal concern in QuickBooks Desktop.

You'll need to make sure that the Automatically place decimal point option is checked on your preferences. This will let the decimal point to show on your reports.

To do that:

1. Click on Edit at the top menu bar.
  2. Select on Preferences.
  3. Click on General.
  4. Click the Company Preferences Tab.
  5. Put a mark for Automatically place decimal point radio button.
  6. Click on OK to save changes.

Once done, you can try running the report again. If the issue persists after trying these steps, we can try running the verify and rebuild process to fix data related issues like this.

To do that, please refer to this article: https://community.intuit.com/articles/1501314.

That should guide you on your way to having decimals on your reports in QuickBooks Desktop.

Keep me posted if you have any other questions about this process. I'm always here to help. Take care.

Experienced Member

Thank you for your quick response.

I have already tried that-- both ways. I have even shut the program down after changing and the computer to make sure there wasn't any "memory". Just to be clear, this isn't a report that has the problem. 

Any other things to try?

Established Community Backer ***

@BettyJaneB

Automatically place decimal point option is checked on your preferences. This will let the decimal point to show on your reports.

That is NOT what that option does

option checked, enter 1234 and QB displays 12.34

option un-checked, enter 1234 and QB displays 1,234.00

@YvonnePE

run, from the file menu, rebuild at least three times, then run verify

if there are errors, do it again.

when it completes shut down QB, shut down the computer, not restart shut it down.  Reboot and try it again.

QB reads some settings and lists on startup, shutting down QB does not drop that data (sloppy programming), problem is you ever know what specific data is still being held in reserved memory or page space.

Experienced Member

Thanks for the input. 

I think there are other problems: QB reports don't show any values greater than 99, error about pdf modules missing, date format change to dd-mm-yyyy. Windows 8.1 won't open Region dialog box, won't show update and recovery option , etc.  

Needless to say, I need to get the software to a baseline and ensure my data  is not corrupted.

Question to others: Can I use QB Pro to read these QB Premier files? (in case I have to buy a new version)

Appreciate any insight folks have.

ProAdvisor

Pro & Premier are the same program. Premier has more features. The data file can be opened by either of them.

Your decimal issue, I’d check your system preference on this.

Community Backer ***

I would check 2 things.

Make sure the regional settings in Windows is set to US English.

And check to see if the Numlock has been turned off.

I know it sounds simple, but you have no idea how many people have experienced this. Especially if you get unusual jumping around as you try to type numbers off the number pad.

Highlighted
Community Manager

@YvonnePE I agree with Revscott and believe it may be the regional settings. Are you able to check and report back to this thread? Thanks, ~B
Experienced Member

Thanks for the advice.

There are some fundamental OS issues that seem to be at the heart of this. It's a Windows 10 system and apparently the recent update totally took off icon data, even disturbing the OS to the point that I literally cannot get the Update and Recovery option to roll the system back.

When I open up the QB, not only do the numbers not have any decimal points (even in the reports), the amount on the reports are incorrect--like reporting a $52 profit when it is much more than that.

Luckily, I talked with our accounting service and they loaded up the files which appear correct (with decimal points) on theirs. I'm going to be using them (and their system) for now to get the books done. I think the issue was at its heart, a Windows one Smiley Sad

Thanks to all for your assistance, but as I said, it was a wily one.