bjc31166
Level 2

How to open multiple windows?

14 Comments 14
MichaelDL
QuickBooks Team

Ask no more, @bjc31166.

You can open multiple QuickBooks Online windows by right-clicking the report, page, or tab you'd like to see and selecting Open link in new tab. Keep in mind that working in the same module (Payroll, Banking, Taxes) on more than one tab simultaneously may lead to one of the tabs being signed out.

To avoid this issue, consider checking out our QuickBooks Online Windows app at the link here. The app offers a multi-window mode that will allow you to multi-task in QBO without being repeatedly signed out. You can learn more about this functionality in our article on the matter here.

Please touch base with me here should you need any further assistance, I'm always happy to lend a hand. Thanks for bringing us your question, wishing you a safe and productive rest of your week.

kkkkkkkk
Level 1

When I right click, it does not give me the option to open in a new tab. Why not? I am clicking on an active link. 

JamesDuanT

Aside from the steps provided by MichaelDL to open a new window for the reports, I'll share a few more to do this, kkkkkkkk.

Here's the first trick I know to open a new window for reports:

1. Click Reports on the left menu and go to the Standard tab.
  2. Right-click on the report title and select Open link in new tab.

You can also create a duplicate tab of the report:

1. At the top, right-click on the QuickBooks tab and select Duplicate.
  2. In the new tab, you can go to your reports.

Or

1. Right-click Reports on the left menu and Open link in new tab.
  2. From there you can pull up a different report you need.

Remember to refresh (F5) each tabs if you create transactions in the others. This is to ensure that the reports are updated.

You might also want to know more about customizing and memorizing the reports. This would help you manage the data you want to see in a few clicks. You can browse these articles for reference:

We'll be pleased to help you more if you have additional queries about the reports. Have a great day!

Oleg M
Level 2

it's not helping. Duplicating the tabs is not an efficient way. I may go back to Xero, too many silly issues with QB. Really disappointed, never listened to others who complained about QBO, but being stubborn I decided to give a chance. Mistake!

Charies_M

Thanks for bringing this concern to our attention, Oleg M

This is something Intuit doesn't want you to experience. I'm determined to help you find a solution for this.

If all the recommended steps above didn't work for you, I'd suggest reaching out to our QuickBooks Care Support. They can conduct a thorough investigation so you'll be able to open multiple windows in QuickBooks Online (QBO).

Here's how you can contact us:

1. Go to the Help menu at the upper right.
  2. Select Contact Us.
  3. Enter your concern.
  4. Click Let’s talk.
  5. Choose Get a callback
  6. Type in your contact info.
  7. Select Confirm my call.
    QBO Phone.PNG

You can also check out our support hours for the most updated contact information.

It would be best to share the link of this thread so the next representative knows the troubleshooting steps you've done so far.

I'm always here to help if you have any other concerns or questions and I'll get back to you. Have a good one.

Oleg M
Level 2

thanks, your customer service is great, but need more investment into making QBO more user friendly. Think of bookkeepers who are too busy discovering workarounds. 

fkqkbks
Level 1

Please update your post to reflect that Quickbooks is no longer supporting the app! Freaking heck this is why I am now on this stupid website searching for how to open multiple tabs without being logged out, wasting time having to "f5" every time I need to switch windows, etc... maybe invest more time or money into making the online site work for professionals who are forced to use the online edition because stupid owners think it's cheaper. It's not cheaper paying a bookkeeper to waste time trying to figure out how to multi task. 

Renee444
Level 1

The multiple tab function was one of the best parts of the QB App. Because of the continual log out issue on a browser, this will cost my clients in the long run. I certainly hope that QB can come up with an option on a browser to allow multiple tabs.

SarahannC

Hello there, Renee444. Thanks for letting us know your insights.

Using a browser will also let you open a few tabs. For example, you'll want to open a new tab for the Sales page. Just right-click and select Open link in a new tab. However, it's not applicable per transaction and items.

Let's end your valuable feedback to our Product Development team by signing in to your QuickBooks Online account in a browser. It's a way to share with us your insights about the feature you want to include in the program. 

Go to the Gear icon. Then, select Feedback under Profile. Once you get in there, enter your suggestion. Then, click Next.

Also, you can visit our blog site. This is where we share recent happenings and future developments, such as updates to newly added features. In your free time, you can read through our guide about the Keyboard shortcuts for QuickBooks Online.

We always want to hear your suggestions as we continue developing the product as best for your business. Take care and stay healthy.

angelacct
Level 3

I was having problems with opening multiple windows without getting signed out of QuickBooks each time. However, I was able to fix the problem by first creating a "tab group." Using Google Chrome,

• Right-Click on the tab that you have QuickBooks open in (at the top of the web page)
  • Choose "Add tab to group" and give your group a name such as "QuickBooks"
  • Right-Click on whichever section tab (Sales, Expenses, or Banking that you wish to open in a new window) located on your QB's page on the left-hand side.
  • In the pop-up menu, Click  "Open Link in" and choose the group you just created (such as QuickBooks).  

This will open the selected section in a new window. 

I hope this helps. It seems to work for me in Google Chrome. Please let me know how things go. Best of luck. 

kluefinance
Level 1

Also here just to emphasize how painful it is not being able to right click and open a new window when already inside reports. If you forget to duplicate the tab before you do it, then you have to reset all your parameters on the report and it wastes a ton of time.

This is an area that Xero is WAY better at, so should be something that QBO prioritizes for us users!

CA31
Level 1

I'm using google chrome and there is no option for 'open link ion group', only 'open link in new tab'.

zkarstens
Level 1

Since Quickbooks has announced they are stopping support and upgrades for the Windows App, are they considering upgrading the web version to allow multiple tabs to be open at once, like on the Windows App?  While my App continues to work for now, I can't add it for any new employees and am concerned about lack of app support going forward.  Not being able to have multiple tabs open is very inefficient for working across many related entities at the same time.  

Archie_B
QuickBooks Team

Hello there, zkarstens.

Accessing QuickBooks in multiple windows is great idea.

You can send your valuable feedback within QuickBooks. I'll show you how:

1. Go to the Gear icon at the top.
  2. Select Feedback.
  3. Enter your comments or product suggestions.
  4. Once done, click Next to submit feedback.

Our Product Development team will receive your suggestions and it'll surely help in improving your experience in QuickBooks Online.

You can also track your request through this link: QuickBooks Online Feature Request

Don't hesitate to post in the Community or click the reply button below for follow-up questions. I'll be here to help. Keep safe!

Need to get in touch?

Contact us