cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Solved

I can't open my data file. "QuickBooks can not open this company file because it was created with an incompatible version." I use two computers. One works, one doesn't.

My home computer updated the data file on 9/6/17 and created a backup.  My laptop can open the backup (8/31/17) but cannot open the updated data file. My laptop version of QB says it is the latest version of QB...at least when I try to update it tells me that. (version V17.1.17 R18, Build 512).  I am not where I can see my home computer so can't post the version, but I would assume it's a later version or build since it updated the data file.

Best answer 12-10-2018 06:48 PM

Accepted Solutions
ProAdvisor

I believe R20 is the latest on your Mac.

8 Comments
ProAdvisor

ProAdvisor

Try installing the update & that should fix your issue.

Try installing the update & that should fix your issue.

I've tried to update and the Quickbooks version on my lap...

I've tried to update and the Quickbooks version on my laptop says it is the latest version.   Do you know if the version I've listed above is correct or not?
Established Community Backer ***

R20 is the latest version but it has been pulled. There i...

R20 is the latest version but it has been pulled. There is a problem with merchant services - credit card processing - and we are waiting for that to get fixed.

If you don't use credit card processing in QuickBooks Mac you can go ahead and update to R20:

http://http-download.intuit.com/http.intuit/Downloads/2016/US_R20/QuickBooksMac2016.dmg

Experienced Member

Re: R20 is the latest version but it has been pulled. There i...

This link is not valid any longer as I have the same problem and tried to download this file and could not. I had got a new Mac after Xmas and then installed Quickbooks and can not open my company file in my Quickbooks 2016. Do you know of another way to get this file?

QuickBooks Team

Re: R20 is the latest version but it has been pulled. There i...

Hi dankidwell,

You can try these steps to update QuickBooks Mac manually. To do so, you'll need to uninstall and reinstall the software.

1. Uninstall QuickBooks for Mac.
    1. Close QuickBooks.
    2. From the Finder menu (search bar) on the upper right corner of your screen, click Go, and then Applications.
    3. Click the QuickBooks icon and drag/move it to the Trash.
  2. Reinstall the latest version.
    1. Go to QuickBooks Product Updates.
    2. Click [Change] to select your QuickBooks Desktop version.
    3. Click the Download button to download the installer file to your computer.
    4. Double-click the downloaded .dmg file.
    5. Drag the QuickBooks Desktop icon to the Applications folder to install.

Once done, open QuickBooks and then press Cmd+1 to see the latest version.

You can also refer to this support article: Resolve Problems Opening QuickBooks Desktop or your Company File.

Don't hesitate to leave a comment below if you have other questions.

Re: I've tried to update and the Quickbooks version on my lap...

how do i update the new verson on my laptop also?

QuickBooks Team

Re: I've tried to update and the Quickbooks version on my lap...

Hello, jewelh2. 

Let’s first check if you already have the newest release by following the steps below:

1. Open QuickBooks and press F2 in your keyboard.
  2. Check the current version and release on the Product Information window.

The following are the release available for your QuickBooks year version.

If you’ve found out that there’s a need to update your release version, you can refer to this article for detailed steps: https://quickbooks.intuit.com/community/Account-management/Update-to-the-latest-release-of-QuickBook....

Please get back to the Community if you have other questions.