cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

I have at least 1000 transactions from square that have the product/service as "square item". I just imported my square items and want to correc the older ones.

5 Comments

Re: I have at least 1000 transactions from square that have the product/service as "square item"....

Greetings, @lane1.

It's a pleasure to see you here in the Community. I'm here to help you correct or change the categories for your Products and Services in QuickBooks Online (QBO).

Just to clarify, do you mean you want to correct or change the category for your old Products and Services to square items? If so, here's how:

1. On your QBO account, click the Gear icon at the top.
2. Pick Product and Services under Lists column.
3. Click Edit on the right side of the Product/Services item that you want to correct.
4. On the Category drop-down, choose Square Items (or Add New if you haven't added it yet, then Save).
5. Select Save and close.

I also added some sample screenshots below.

Once done, you may follow the same steps for the other Products/Services items. For future reference, you may check out these helpful articles for more information:

That should do it! Please let me know how it goes or if you're referring to something else by leaving a comment. I'm only a post away if you have any additional questions. Take care and have a great rest of the day.

Community Explorer **

Re: I have at least 1000 transactions from square that have the product/service as "square item"....

May I add to this question? I need some of my "square categories" to be reflected in QB chart of accounts... do I create new accounts in QB under sales or Square items?

Highlighted
QuickBooks Team

Hello there, @vg11.

I'd be glad to help share information about creating accounts in the Chart of Accounts.

If you wish to reflect your square categories in the chart of accounts, yes, you may need to create new accounts and ensure to make the accounts added as a sub-account of the parent Square account. Let me guide you how.

1. Go to the Gear icon.
  2. Select Chart of Accounts.
  3. Click on New to add a new account.
  4. Select the account's Account Type and Detail Type.
  5. Add the name of the account beside the Name section.
  6. Put a check-mark on Is sub-account and select the parent account (Square).
  7. Click on Save and close.

For further details, you may check this article: How to create a new parent account or subaccount.

Let me know if you have any other questions, I'll be always here to help you.

Community Explorer **

hello and thank you for your response. so, i created the catégories in QB Chart of accounts that match the catégories in Square, but the overnight download still put all the transactions under "Square Items" without distribution them into the proper QB catégories. I did talk to a third party vendue who wants to sell me a suscription for software that will filter the Square transactions in each category into the proper account in QB, but i would rather not add yet another layer to QB on top of Square. Any idea if IQB online can recognize the Square catégories and slot them in the right QB account (unfortunately, QB also has catégories, but I Think They are used differently). thank you

@Angelyn_T wrote:

Hello there, @vg11.

I'd be glad to help share information about creating accounts in the Chart of Accounts.

If you wish to reflect your square categories in the chart of accounts, yes, you may need to create new accounts and ensure to make the accounts added as a sub-account of the parent Square account. Let me guide you how.

1. Go to the Gear icon.

For further details, you may check this article: How to create a new parent account or subaccount.

@Angelyn_T wrote:

Hello there, @vg11.

1. Go to the Gear icon.

QuickBooks Team

Re: hello and thank you for your response. so, i created the catégories in QB Chart of accounts t...

It’s nice to see you again in the Community, @vg11.

There’s no need to use 3rd-party integration software to sync Square transactions with QuickBooks. You can utilize QBO’s Bank Rules feature or the Sync with Square app.

Depending on the method, there are certain mapping settings or preferences needed for the system to categorize them correctly. I’m adding the steps below for you to follow.

Use the Bank Rules feature to assign categories to Square transactions. Here’s how:

1. Go to Banking from the left menu and select Bank Rules.
  2. Click New Rule in the upper right.
  3. Enter a Rule name for the downloaded Square transactions.
  4. Pick Money in or Money out in the For drop-down field.
  5. Select the right bank account for these transactions.
  6. Set the Rule conditions in the When a transaction meets all of these conditions section (You can add up to 5 lines).
  7. Choose a Transaction type.
  8. From the Category drop-down, choose the correct account.
  9. Hit Save.

Perform the same process to create as much bank rules as you want. Check out this article for more information: Set and use banking rules for downloaded transactions.

On the other hand, if you’re importing with the Sync with Square app, set your mapping settings to assign transactions with the right categories in QuickBooks. 

1. Within your QuickBooks Online account, click My Apps.
  2. Under Sync with Square, select Settings.
  3. Click Edit next to Basic Settings to update Bank account, Expense account, and Payment method.
  4. Hit Save changes.

Here’s an article for reference: Sync with Square Hub.

That information should keep you going today.

Let me know how this goes and if you have any questions. I’m always here to help. Have a good one!