Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Contributor *

IIF Import gives error for one computer but not another

I have an IIF file that imports perfectly on one computer.  It states:

(new popup)

>Your data has been imported.

When the same file is imported on a different computer, the following errors occur:

(new popup)

> Error on Line 6: Can't record invalid transaction...

(new popup)

> Transactions to accounts receivable must include a customer

(new popup)

> Error on Line 12 Can't Record invalid transaction. 

(new popup)

> Your data has NOT been imported successfully

Both computers are running QuickBooks 2019 For Mac (V18.0.4 R5).

Does anyone have any ideas as to why an error might be occurring on one computer but not the other running the same version?

7 Comments
QuickBooks Team

Re: IIF Import gives error for one computer but not another

Hello there, anonymously.

Thanks for reaching out to us. Let's get rid of the following Line errors when trying to import IIF file in QuickBooks Desktop.

The Error on Line 6 is caused by problems with the setup of the Accounts Payable accounts in Quickbooks Desktop, or with the vendors for which vouchers have been created in the IIF file being interfaced.

To resolve this, let's make sure that the vendors in the IIF file for the vouchers are listed in the Vendor List. For the vouchers to be properly imported, the vendors in the IIF file must be in the Vendor list.

On the other note, to fix error message saying "Transactions to accounts receivable must include a customer", you'll need to make sure to assign a customer when use the Accounts Receivable account to an entry.

You can check out this article to learn more about exporting or importing Intuit Interchange Format (.IIF) files in QuickBooks Desktop.

If you need further assistance with the steps, I recommend calling our QuickBooks Desktop Mac Support. They have additional tools to pull up your account and do a screen share to guide you in getting this resolved.

Here's how you can contact our phone support: 

1. Click this link: https://help.quickbooks.intuit.com/en_US/contact.
  2. Select QuickBooks Mac Desktop.
  3. Type-in Technical Support on the search bar.
  4. And click Get the Phone number below.

Feel free to reach out to me again if you have any other questions. I'm just a post away. You have a great day.

Established Community Backer *

Yes -first question is do the two computers have the same company file open? If not the one it works on likely has the required items, names, vendors, accounts, etc in existence while the other does not. You have to look at the particular line of the .iif file that has been identified.  I find the best way to understand it is to try to the transaction manually using the GUI to see what the problem is.  Then delete the transaction or don't finish entering it.

Community Contributor *

@IntuitBrooks Thank you for the reply!  Oddly enough, the company that works is a brand new company.  The company that does not work is an existing company.  Could there some setting that was set in the existing company that could be creating these errors?

Community Contributor *

@IntuitBrooks oddly enough, the company that works is a brand new company.  The company that fails is an existing company.  Are there any settings that could have been set in the existing company that are creating this error?

Community Contributor *

@Charies_M First off, thank you for the reply and support link.   I appreciate it.  In this case, the IIF file only contains invoices, so there are no Vendors to import or change.  Given that the IIF file contains only invoices, is there anything else I can/should try?

Thanks again

QuickBooks Team

Hi there, anonymously.

Thanks for coming back. Let me routed you to the right support.

Since I want to make sure this is taken care of, I recommend you give our QuickBooks Desktop Mac Support so they can further investigate why you're able to import IIF files in the brand new company but not in the existing company. They have the tools like screen sharing so they can take a closer look at the issue. The support link is provided above.

Let me know how it goes as I'm still here to keep helping.

Established Community Backer *

Sure. The IIF could be trying to add a name that exists in the older company.