cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Experienced Member
Solved

Installation Frozen

Moving QuickBooks to a new computer, but the installation stalled on Installing ABS PDF Driver. I searched and saw that a different person was having the same issue and the answer was to try restarting the machine. I clicked "cancel" to try restarting the machine, but I received a message that the "ABS PDF Driver MUST complete before exiting - Please wait", however the installation is still stalled. Should I used Windows Task Manager to force close? 

Best answer 01-15-2018 10:06 AM

Accepted Solutions
Experienced Member

Re: Installation Frozen

About an hour after I clicked "cancel", the system did inform me that there was an installation error had occured and I was able to restart and complete the process.

8 Comments
Experienced Member

About an hour after I clicked "cancel", the system did inform me that there was an installation error had occured and I was able to restart and complete the process.

Experienced Member

Just for QuickBooks programmers - This happened to me as well.  Brand new Windows 10 64 Bit Professional, Brand new install fo 2018 Premier Desktop. 

Although I plan to stop via Task Manager and see what happens.

Robclay, what happened when you stopped the process via Task Manager? Is it safe to do it that way? I'm stuck in the same rut and don't want to wait an hour for it to finally fail.
Experienced Member

It worked.  When I stopped the install in tskmgr, I believe that it exited nicely... (after a few mins)  but I may have forced it close a second time. 

ANYWAY, I rebooted - and there is the QB 2018 icon on my desktop.  I did not click it, and instead restarted the install from scratch.  It may have elected to 'repair' the  install.  I just accepted whatever popped on the screen.  (Not sure if the QB icon would have worked or not.)

One other interesting tidbot - for me - when I tried opening my old 2015 QB file, it gave me an error.  I tried opening it a second time, and it converted it / etc.  So be prepared to open a file twice for the first time.

Experienced Member

TIP # 3

Keep your install file on your desktop.  After (3?) days of successful use of Quickbooks 2018, it will not start now. 

I think they must force their programmers to release early, judging from the headaches I have with this version.  Or they cutout QA/QC best practices.  * sigh *  Installation #3 commencing now.

#nostalgia: Quickbooks 2005 was the BEST version by far... I miss it.

Hello! When my computer froze on the "ABS PDF Driver" box I just clicked cancel. The Quickbooks icon appeared on my desktop, I clicked it, it opened fine, and the app functions perfectly. Hope this helps!

Community Host

@robclay

Thank you for your great insight into the installation process. You followed all the right steps, IMO. Some folks are wary of force-quitting with TaskMaster, and the moment I run into problems with any installation, I elect to uninstall it completely and start from scratch. 

My recommendation for all who install important work software on their systems (not just QuickBooks), if you upgrading and already have system files on your computer, create a copy of these files in a separate folder somewhere you can easily find (like your Desktop) and save this folder to a removable harddrive so you have two redundancies. Once the installation is finished and everything is working great (I generally wait a week), I delete the folder. 99.999% of the time this is totally redundant, but it's good practice. 

While it's rare and I've never experienced it with my QuickBooks installs, I've learned the hard way that corrupted installations can mess with primary files (this happened often back in the 90s). 

Also, even if the installation seems to have worked itself out after an error (as @luv4foxes experienced), I recommend completely uninstalling and doing a clean install. You will probably be totally fine and wouldn't go back to change anything Smiley Happy, but I'd do so if I have the option. Having those redundant files ensures that on the off chance the uninstall deletes something it wasn't supposed to, you can easily recover. 

My piece of mind on peace of mind! Thanks for the input everyone. 

Let’s talk about QuickBooks – “Do more with QuickBooks

Let’s talk about your business – “Growing your business

Ask a product question – “Questions about QuickBooks

Experienced Member

I will suggest you reboot the system and restart the system. Then reinstall the program on your system. I will also recommend you to visit Epson printer not printing to get more effective suggestions in this regards.