cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Experienced Member

Installer window doesn't fit on screen

When I launch the installer, it opens with the sides and bottom off screen. Messing around with my PC's resolution and using Alt-Space-M, I can use arrow keys to pan and see the rest of the window, but as soon as I try to use the mouse, the window jumps so the mouse pointer is on the blue strip at the top of the installer window. I can't click on anything. Tab does nothing. The installer window doesn't seem to be re-sizeable -- no way to click and drag it smaller and no Alt-Space-S option. I'm trying to install QB desktop Pro 2019 on a Windows 10 PC with default resolution of 1920 x 1080, scaled at 100%. Tried every other resolution one by one. No help. Any ideas?

3 Comments
QuickBooks Team

Re: Installer window doesn't fit on screen

You've come to the right place, @popcorn_princess.

Let's get the installer window to fit on your computer screen. 

QuickBooks works well with 1280 x 1024 screen resolution or higher. Since you have a default resolution of 1920 x 1080, this might be the reason you're unable to resize the installer window. 

It's important to first check the system requirements to make sure your computer is compatible with the program. 

To help fix this issue, you'll have to change QuickBooks DPI settings. Please take note that updating the default settings of your Windows DPI and screen resolution will affect other programs. Here's how: 

1. Right-click the QuickBooks icon. 
  2. Select Properties.
  3. Choose Disable display scaling on high DPI settings on the Compatibility tab. 
  4. Click Apply and OK.
  5. Open the system and let's check to see if the windows are visible.

Then, you can change the desktop view preference by performing the steps below: 

1. Go to the Edit menu at the top.
  2. Select Preferences
  3. Choose Desktop View from the left menu.
  4. Go to the My Preferences tab. 
  5. Switch View from Multiple Windows to One Window.
  6. Click OK

You're right with setting your scaling level to 100% on your Windows 10 computer. You can also update your computer's screen resolution settings by checking out this helpful article: QuickBooks Desktop Display Issues

For more information about installing the software, here's a great article you can refer to: Install QuickBooks

The steps and resources above will help achieve your goal, @popcorn_princess.

If you have any other concerns, I'll be more than willing to help. Have a great day. 

Experienced Member

Thanks for trying to help, but since it's the installer window we're talking about, that means quickbooks has not yet been installed. Thus, there is no icon to right click and there are no quickbooks properties to adjust. Changing my computer's screen resolution doesn't help. No matter what the screen looks like, the quickbooks installer window extends beyond the screen's boundaries. Even if the screen is a tiny square in the middle of my monitor, the quickbooks installer window ends at the end of that square. It's always cut off. I can drag it left and right just fine and see the whole width of the window that way, but I can only move it up a little bit and it won't stay there. Using keyboard commands lets me pan all the way to the bottom, but touching the mouse causes the installer window to jump so that the bottom is obscured again. I cannot get quickbooks installed. My computer meets all system requirements. I haven't run into this problem with any other apps.

Experienced Member

I don't know what happened to my reply, maybe stuck in review, but that advice was not helpful. Didn't apply to my situation at all. Already tried all of it that I could. The rest can't be done until qb is installed. I found a workaround. I set my display to portrait instead of landscape. No, I wasn't inadvertently in tablet mode. Just a prob w/ qb. Weird trying to navigate and enter info that way, but I was able to get quickbooks installed. Works fine now. Maybe this will help someone else. I suggest that Intuit make all of their application windows size-able.