cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bbach
Level 1

Need a QB Expert to help shrink company file

I'm working with a client who uses QB Enterprise for the last 10+ years. He has a lot of transactions and when his file size gets too big (it's currently at 4GB) we've used a company who peels off a few years of data and help us shrink the file.  We've done this a couple times over the past 6 years and the company we used in the past is not available.  

Can anybody recommend a person or company who has the expertise and experience to take on this project.

Thank-you

Brian

13 Comments 13
MaryLandT

I'm delighted to have you here in the Intuit Community, @Bbach.

In QuickBooks Desktop, you can reduce your file size by using the Condense Data utility. This process still keeps your data and minimize the risk of data damage.

Please keep in mind condensing data in your account is irreversible.

Here are the steps you can follow:

1. In your account, go to the File menu, select Utilities, then Condense Data.
  2. Select the best option on how you want to condense your file, then click Next.
  3. Choose what transactions you want to remove, then click Next.
  4. Click Begin Condense.condensedata1.PNGcondensedata2.PNGcondensedata3.PNGcondensedata4.PNG

To learn more about this process, feel free to read through this article: Use the Condense Data utility.

You can now shrink your company file.

Let me know how this goes by leaving a comment below. You're welcome here any time you need further assistance with the solution above.

AdrianG001
Level 4

Condense or Cleanup Quickbooks. Quickbooks has a built-in utility that will reduce the file size of your Quickbooks data file. The Quickbooks condense operation condenses closed transactions into summary journal entries. If any list items are not used, they are deleted from QuickBooks.

Here is the full intuit article :

https://quickbooks.intuit.com/community/Account-management/Use-the-Condense-Data-utility/m-p/203359

Hope so this will help you

Regards,

Adrian

QuickBooks Hosting expert - Apps4Rent

Young Associates
Level 1

THIS is the feature I need, but where is it in QBD 2020?

I need to convert a very large client file to QBO. The condense data command is nowhere to be found. I've searched every comparable term I can think of.

Fiat Lux - ASIA
Level 15

@Young Associates 

The Condense Data utility is available only in QBD US version. Go to menu File > Utility > Condense Data. Make sure your client is not using QBD UK or CA version. Otherwise you need to purchase a 3rd party condense service. 

MikeGT
Level 2

If we select to "remove all transactions before a selected date", say before 1-1-2020, will the inventory count/quantity still be correct considering it's removing Bills and Invoices? If it's moving 10 years of a summary, my guess is yes? Our file size is 1625 MB.

MikeGT
Level 2

If we use Condense Data and select remove transactions before a specific date, the current inventory count will remain accurate?

IamjuViel
QuickBooks Team

Hello there, @MikeGT.

When you choose to remove transactions before a specific date, you're removing old, closed transactions from their current, working version of the QuickBooks company file. Then, it creates a summary monthly journal entries for the old, closed transactions and places these summary transactions in the current, working version of the QuickBooks data file.

By doing this, your client's inventory count remain as is. 

Get back to us here if you have other questions or concerns. I'm always here to help.

MikeGT
Level 2

We will give it a try, thank you for the very fast reply!

Debie_T
Level 1

You should try this article in-order to understand about condensing QuickBooks company file

RhondaBT123
Level 1

I have the Canadian version so I will need a third party to help me condense my file so it can be migrated over to online..  Can anyone tell me who they have had great luck with!?  I’m excited to get started!

Fiat Lux - ASIA
Level 15

@RhondaBT123 

Do you need to migrate data from QBD CA to QBO CA?

https://quickbooks.grsm.io/Canada

https://quickbooks.grsm.io/CFIB

If your Total Targets > 350K, you may have 3 options to migrate your data to QBO:

1. Utilize a migration tool. i.e TPExporter for Desktop, TPImporter for Online

https://transactionpro.grsm.io/qbo

2. Purchase a 3rd party condense service and you will self migrate the condensed file to QBO.

Contact us in private for details.

3. Purchase a 3rd party migration service.

Contact us in private for details.

GMLPC
Level 1

Once condenses, is there a way to delete/remove inactive accounts/items/customers etc. once and for all?  

Fiat Lux - ASIA
Level 15

@GMLPC 

You can remove it manually or utilize a deleter tool.

https://transactionpro.grsm.io/qbd

Need to get in touch?

Contact us