cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Frequent Explorer **

Quickbooks for Mac 2019 - Company Info not saving in Preferences, "My Company"

Besides crashing sporadically when switching between companies, when adding company information in "Preferences"and then"My Company", the information does not save.  Therefore, the company information is not appearing on invoices.  Has anyone found this problem and found a work around?

17 Comments
QuickBooks Team

Re: Quickbooks for Mac 2019 - Company Info not saving in Preferences, "My Company"

Hello, @USA1.

Welcome to the QuickBooks Community. I'll be your guide on getting this handled. Currently, there are no reports of QuickBooks not saving company data. However, this does sound like it's stemming from data damage within the file. 

In order to confirm this is related to data damage, the first step is to run a rebuild, followed by a verify, on your file. These diagnostic tools comb through your data, fixing anything it finds wrong with said data, and they will notify you of anything that may need to be manually fixed. Here's how you can run those tools:

Run the Rebuild Data utility:

• Go to File, then select Utilities Rebuild Data.
  • On the QuickBooks Information window, select OK. Follow the prompts to save a backup.
  • Select OK when you see Rebuild has completed.

Run the Verify Data utility:

• Go to File, then select Utilities Verify Data.
  • If you see QuickBooks detected no problem with your data, select OK. You may continue using your company file.
  • Should the Verify find an issue with your data, you will be prompted to Rebuild Now or View Errors. Select Close, then perform the steps below.

For your reference, here's an article on how to troubleshoot data damage further: Resolve data damage on your company file.

By performing these steps, you should now be able to update your company information, making it now appear correctly on your invoices, and you should also see a reduction in the sporadic crashing of QuickBooks. After trying this, be sure to let me know how this works for you.

Should you have anything else you'd like to go over with me, don't hesitate to leave me a comment below. I'll be here in the Community when you're ready to continue.

Frequent Explorer **

Re: Quickbooks for Mac 2019 - Company Info not saving in Preferences, "My Company"

Verifying and rebuilding did not fix the issue.  It happens only when switching between companies on the top menu under "File". When you use "Open Company", its removes the company data on the company that is being closed.  But this does not happen if you switch companies using the Icon in the dock.  If you hold on the icon in the dock and hit another company, the information is not lost

Community Contributor **

I recently upgraded to Quickbooks for Mac 2019 and am having the same exact issue. Every time I switch between the 3 companies I manage, all preferences are lost. So, every time I open one of the companies, I have to:

Switch from accrual to cash basis

Click the check mark making all customers taxable

Remind the application whether the sales tax reporting is monthly, quarterly, or yearly

Re-enter the company name and address in all 3 tabs under My Company

Also, my sales tax liability report keeps defaulting to accrual basis no matter what I do.

I never had the problem of preferences not being saved with all my previous versions of Quickbooks for Mac. This is a productivity killer for me.

QuickBooks Team

Hi there, @USA1 and @glendaw40.

Thanks for contributing to this thread. I can make sure you have the best support to help resolve your company preferences concern.

If the recommended steps given by my colleague didn't do the trick, you can directly call our phone support. They have the screen sharing tool which can help identify the cause of being unable to save company preferences.

Please follow these steps to get their contact number:

1. Visit this link: https://help.quickbooks.intuit.com/en_US/contactus.
  2. Select QuickBooks Mac Desktop.
  3. Select the issue/topic.
  4. Click the Get Phone Number button to see the support number.

Please keep me posted on how the call goes. I'd like to make sure this is taken care of. Also, if you have other questions, just leave a comment below. Have a good one.

Community Contributor **

I tried rebuilding and verifying the data, and that did not resolve the issue.

The software program itself must have a bug in it that prevents it from storing our company preferences.

Another thing that's going on is the Total Sales in my Sales Tax Liability Report does not match the Total Income on the Profit and Loss Report.

I'm not new to Quickbooks, and I'm not doing things any differently than I did when using previous versions of the software. The only thing that is different is that two months ago I upgraded to Quickbooks for Mac 2019, and that's when the problems started.

QuickBooks Team

Greetings, @glendaw40,

Thanks for getting back to the Community and providing additional information about the issue your getting. Let me guide you to the right support so you can get back to business.

Since you're able to perform the recommended troubleshooting but still getting the same result, it would be best to get in touch with our QuickBooks Technical Support Team for further assistance.

There they can help you investigate what's causing this unexpected issue on your Company Preferences and the Sales Tax Liability Report. They can also do a screen sharing session with you to better isolate the problem in a secure environment. Here's how you can contact them:

1. Go to this link: https://help.quickbooks.intuit.com/en_US/contact
  2. Choose QuickBooks Mac Desktop.
  3. Click the Search for something else button.
  4. In the Tell us more about your question: box, type QuickBooks Mac issue.
  5. Scroll down and click the Get Phone Number button.

Please feel free to fill me in on the outcome, @glendaw40. I want to ensure your issue is taken care of immediately. Have a good one!

For what it is worth, I am having similar problems since switching to QB 2019 for Mac. Every time I open a company file (I regularly use three), I have to set the preference to enable class tracking.

I also cannot use "Open Recent...", as it fails to find the file. When I go to Open Company, it defaults in a folder in /private/var/folders and I have to navigate to the folder where my company files are stored.

I will apply any current program updates, and then call support when I have a block of time.

To follow up on my previous comment, I applied the newest version of QB 2019 Mac, and both problems are now corrected. I am now running V18.0.4 R5.

Your mileage may vary. I hope it works for you.

Community Contributor **

I just spent 1-1/2 hours talking to level 1 and level 2 technical support and sharing my screen with them. It turns out that when I switch between companies using "File: Open Company" the preferences are lost. But if I take the additional step of selecting "File: Close Company / Log Off" and THEN go to "File: Open Company" the software program remembers the preferences.

I have been switching between companies by choosing "File: Open Company" for years without any issue. But apparently with Mac 2019 if you don't first select "File: Close Company / Log Off" the program gets very confused.

Anyway, this has resolved my issue for the time being. Yes it is annoying to have to close file/log off every time I switch between companies, but it takes a lot less time to do that than to constantly reset all my preferences several times a day. Hope this helps you guys.

Community Contributor **

QuickBooks Team

Hi glendaw40, 

Thanks for joining us here in the Community and sharing the workaround you did to switch company files. This can surely help other users to get back up and running again with their QuickBooks Mac 2019 account. 

The 1-1/2 hours of your time is important to us! I appreciate your patience in working with our representatives to look for ways on how to resolve your concern. 

Our product engineers are constantly improving this software, so it can cater the customers' needs. You can add your voice and let them know about the changes you want to see in the future. 

To submit one, go to this link: https://sfloop.intuit.com/j/feedback?product=QuickBooksMac&version=2016&release=R28&subproduct=Pro.

The Community is a great avenue to connect and interact with accountants and other QuickBooks users. It is a perfect place to get your QuickBooks questions answered and also share your ideas and responses to other users' queries. 

Please let me know by leaving a comment below if you have other concerns. I'd be around to help at anytime. 

I am having the same problem is there a fix?

I am having the same problem , company info disappearing, crashing and also as I use a QB server it keeps telling me that another party has overridden info and to choose whose info to save--i choose and loose data--this has never happened before

I am having the same issue, really frustrating and this has never happened in any of the previous versions of Quickbooks

QuickBooks Team

Hi there, @jennybooks.

I appreciate you reaching out and providing feedback. I'm here to help you more in fixing the problem on your preferences.

Have you tried running the Verify/Rebuild tool recommended by ClayJ? That's the first steps you need to perform to verify if this is a data issue.

If the company info still disappears, crashes or a message is popping up, we can try reinstalling QuickBooks for Mac using the clean install feature. This process helps to remove all the QuickBooks installation files and folders and resolves any software problem.

For the detailed steps, you can refer to this article: Reinstall QuickBooks for Mac using clean install.

Let me know how it goes, jennybooks. I'm still here to help you further. Just add a comment below or mention my name. Have a wonderful day ahead!

Im having the same problem after upgrading.  the company names are not showing up on reports and I must put the company name in the field for the header each time which is really slowing me down.  How can I fix this?

Highlighted
QuickBooks Team

Hello gigiy,

If you've already tried the steps provided by my colleague HoneyLynn_G, please contact our Customer Care Support so we can further investigate.

You can refer to Jen_D's post to speak with one of our phone agents.

If you need anything else, please don't hesitate to reach out.