cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Frequent Explorer *
Solved

Registration will not work.

My Quickbooks 2009 will not let me use it because the registration will not work.  Every time I click "register now" it goes online to connect but gives me an error "Server error!  404 - File or directory not found."

One time it connected correctly, and it asked me for my phone number and area code.  But, I did not remember my old original number so I went to find it.  When I got back it said it timed out.  Now I just get the "Server error!  404 - File or directory not found."  Over, and over, and over!

Best answer 01-03-2019 12:09 AM

Accepted Solutions
Frequent Explorer *

Re: Registration will not work.

By restarting the computer and opening up QuickBooks first I found it brought back the registration page where you put in your phone number and ZIP Code. So I did that, and then it still said I had to call in order to register. However, when I opened QuickBooks up again to check, it did not ask me to register again. I clicked the help pull down menu, and there was no option to register anymore.

Do you think it took the registration last time, even though it told me I had to call to register?

5 REPLIES
QuickBooks Team

Hi there, RadRick01.

QuickBooks 2009 is a discontinued version of QuickBooks This is why you can no longer register it online. You will need a validation code for you to re-register the program. 

Please contact our Technical Support Team so we can access your account and generate the code for you. Here's how: 

Visit us again in the Community if you have other questions. 

Frequent Explorer *

By restarting the computer and opening up QuickBooks first I found it brought back the registration page where you put in your phone number and ZIP Code. So I did that, and then it still said I had to call in order to register. However, when I opened QuickBooks up again to check, it did not ask me to register again. I clicked the help pull down menu, and there was no option to register anymore.

Do you think it took the registration last time, even though it told me I had to call to register?

QuickBooks Team

The error message you received earlier, probably cause the registration notification to be delayed, Rick.

For us to make sure that your QuickBooks is registered successfully, we can press F2 on your keyboard. Then, the Product Information window will appear.

If it does show ACTIVATED or REGISTERED next to the License number, then the registration process was successful.

Otherwise, you'll want to contact our Technical Support Team to continue the registration process. You can reach them by following the steps above that JenoP provided.

We'll be right here if you need anything else.

Established Community Backer ***

QB 2009 reached end of life in May 2012. It won't register. 404 error = no one even lives at that web location and no one can take the contact request and this old program cannot be registered. It was never considered compatible with W8 or 10, and W7 has so many updates that it really is no longer compatible with W7, either. And worse, your data file is now 10 years behind current. Intuit has a 3-year lifecycle.

It is time to buy QB 2019, and ask Intuit if they will update that old file for you.

Frequent Explorer *

It does say registered.  It must have done it OK online by itself.  That is good.  I will buy the newer ver. when I have the money!

Thanks for your help.