cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Established Member
Solved

Resetting QuickBooks Password & Getting Error message..... :/

QuickBooks keeps telling me I need to change the Admin Password, which is fine however it WON'T let me!! Every time I enter the old password & put in a new password I keep getting a message saying "The old password you entered does not match your existing password". I know I put in the correct password & yes I have checked to make sure I didn't have cap locks on. How can I bypass this or fix this? I have already tried downloading the password reset but of course that still did nothing.... I'm at my wits end. Please help! 

Best answer 12-10-2018 06:49 PM

Accepted Solutions
QuickBooks Team

I appreciate you checking out Community, JoPeach. Since...

I appreciate you checking out the Community, JoPeach.

Since you're still getting an error after trying to reset your Admin password, I'd suggest contacting our Technical Lead to further assist you. They have more tools to help you with the process of changing your password. You can get their contact information in this link:

https://help.quickbooks.intuit.com/en_US/contact

1. Choose your QuickBooks Desktop version.
  2. Select your issue/topic.
  3. Click the Green phone button to see the support number.

If you have any other questions, be sure to let us know. We’re here to help, JoPeach.

11 Comments
QuickBooks Team

I appreciate you checking out Community, JoPeach. Since...

I appreciate you checking out the Community, JoPeach.

Since you're still getting an error after trying to reset your Admin password, I'd suggest contacting our Technical Lead to further assist you. They have more tools to help you with the process of changing your password. You can get their contact information in this link:

https://help.quickbooks.intuit.com/en_US/contact

1. Choose your QuickBooks Desktop version.
  2. Select your issue/topic.
  3. Click the Green phone button to see the support number.

If you have any other questions, be sure to let us know. We’re here to help, JoPeach.

Not applicable

You will have to disconnect from your fire wall and inter...

You will have to disconnect from your fire wall and internet and then it should let you. This is what happened to me and after doing that it worked for me. Hope this helps.

Re: Resetting QuickBooks Password & Getting Error message..... :/

what?

I need to change my quickbook password. I kept entering the wrong one.

QuickBooks Team

Re: Resetting QuickBooks Password & Getting Error message..... :/

Hi there, @Micnolen2003.

I'd be glad to help change your QuickBooks password.

If you're trying to change the admin password, you need to confirm some information as a security step.

1. Open QuickBooks Desktop (QBDT). AT the login window, click the I forgot my password link.
  2. Fill in the information on the form that appears.
  3. Click OK. If the info you entered is correct, you’ll receive a code at your registered email address. (This is your “primary email” listed in CAMPS)
  4. Get the code from your email and enter back in QuickBooks Desktop. QuickBooks will then guide you through creating a new admin password.

If the password reset doesn't work:

1. Double-check the information you entered. Check carefully for typos and confirm the info exactly matches what you have in CAMPS.
  2. If you got an error or still need help resetting your password, try the Automated Password Reset Tool.

If you're trying to change a user password:

1. Sign in as the admin user. If you can’t do this, contact the person at your company who has admin access.
  2. Go to Company and select Set Up Users and Passwords. Then select Set Up Users.
  3. If prompted, enter the admin password again.
  4. In the User List, select the user that needs a password change. Then select Edit User.
  5. Enter a new password.
  6. Select Next twice, then select Finish.
  7. If the user now needs to sign in on this computer, go to the File menu and select Close Company/Logoff. The user can now sign in with their user name and the new password you just created.

You can check these articles for additional reference:

Please don't hesitate to add a comment below if you have any other questions about changing and resetting password in QuickBooks. I'll be right here to help you!

Re: I appreciate you checking out Community, JoPeach. Since...

Trying to restore a QBB file from a MAC.  Programs won't let in sign in even though I use the same password as ehn I saved the file.  Went to forgot password 3 times and each time the same thing.  I get the code, enter it and then enter a new password.  When I sign in, I get a message that's it's wrong.

I tried it on Premium 2018 and 2019

QuickBooks Team

Thanks for getting back to us, Jeff Berk.

We want to make sure you're able to sign in to your account. Please reach out to our Phone Support Team by following the steps provided by JaneD. They have more resources available to investigate this issue further.

You can always visit us here in the Community if you have other QuickBooks concerns. 

mox
Frequent Contributor *

thanks JaneD. problem is I'm still running 2016, did just order the update to 2019.

I just tried to open another company file it told me my password was incorrect, Again.  For the past two days, I’ve needed to redo my password every time I open a file as it always says my password is incorrect. This time this notice appeared and I can’t continue.” we’re having trouble changing your password… you rest the Admin password using this QuickBooks license recently”    How do I now get in? how do I run quickbooks without a password?

mox
Frequent Contributor *

Help me to understand passwords. there is an Admin password. does this password let you open any company file? I have multiple company files , yes I don't know what I'm doing. I only have 1 company but thought it might be good to have files for different years . do all company files need individual passwords?

is that my problem?

QuickBooks Team

Hello there, mox.

Thanks for letting us know about this concern. I want to be taken care of.

QuickBooks Desktop requires one admin password/user for every company file. If you have multiple company files, you may need to have a password for each of those company file.

To know more about QuickBooks Desktop administrator and password, here's an article that you can refer to.

On the other hand, if you're still having trouble changing your password, you may need to get in touch with our QuickBooks Desktop Support​ for further investigation. They have the tools that can help you get this resolved in no time. ​

1. ​Sign in to your QuickBooks Desktop company.​
  2. Select QuickBooks Help.
  3. Click Support.
  4. Click Contact us.

Please me let me know how it goes and if you have additional questions about this. I'm always around to help.

mox
Frequent Contributor *

great thanks, Now it's making more sense. Haven't used quikbooks for a while I'll try to simply use the same password for all files?

Highlighted
QuickBooks Team

I appreciate your prompt response, @mox.

Allow me to step into this conversation and provide you with some clarifications about setting up passwords in QuickBooks Desktop.

You'll need to set up passwords for each of your company files in QuickBooks Desktop. However, you have the option to set the same password for all of your files so it would be easier for you to remember. 

To give you more information about having a good and secure password in QuickBooks, you may read through this article: Password security for QuickBooks Desktop.

If you need additional assistance with this process, I'd suggest reaching out to our Customer Care Team. You can reach them through this link: Contact the QuickBooks Desktop Customer Support Team.

Please let me know how it goes, or if you have any other concerns with QuickBooks. I'd be happy to help. Wishing you and your business continued success.