cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
potomacpc
Level 3

Scheduled backups are NOT working in Windows 10 after upgrading to the latest Creators Update, 1709. Task needs to be created with “Configure for” set to “Windows 10”.

Why this issue hasn't been fixed in well over a year is a mystery to everyone.  This literally impacts every user in the world attempting to schedule a backup on Windows 10...not a high priority issue obviously.  SMH.

potomacpc
Level 3

Scheduled backups are NOT working in Windows 10 after upgrading to the latest Creators Update, 1709. Task needs to be created with “Configure for” set to “Windows 10”.

Glad to help.  Now if we could only get Intuit to fix such a blatant bug after well over a year!

HoneyLynn_G
QuickBooks Team

Hi there, @potomacpc.

Thank you for the input you added on this thread. We appreciate your update and hopefully, some other customers experiencing the scheduled backup issue will try the workarounds you've mentioned.

We currently have an open investigation about scheduled backups not working. While waiting for a resolution, we'd like to ensure your account details are added on our affected users list. Calling us is a way of being added to our notification list.

Here's the link on how and when to contact them:

1. Visit this link: https://help.quickbooks.intuit.com/en_US/contactus.
  2. Select QuickBooks Desktop.
  3. Select the issue/topic.
  4. Click the Get Phone Number button to see the support number.

And of course, I’m here to help you if you have other concerns. Please also keep me posted on how the call goes. I'd like to make sure this is taken care of.

potomacpc
Level 3

Why would I possibly waste my time doing this when this has been a blatant bug for over a year, it takes less than 5 minutes for anyone running Windows 10 to reproduce and it literally impacts every single QuickBooks Pro user on Windows 10 in the world.

Do the legwork yourselves and fix the problem.  EVERYONE IS IMPACTED BY IT!

Charies_M

Hi there, potomacpc.

I want to make sure you'll get the best help possible.

Our engineers are fully aware of this issue with scheduled backups not working. Since I have a direct access to our product engineers. Let me personally pass them along this feedback to add this to their priority list.

For now, I would still recommend giving us a quick call so we can add your company information to our containment list. This way you'll be notified for the updates and progress of the investigation.

Here's how you can reach them:

1. Visit this link: https://help.quickbooks.intuit.com/en_US/contactus.
  2. Select QuickBooks Desktop.
  3. Select the issue/topic.
  4. Click the Get Phone Number button to see the support number.

Please know that this issue is being treated with utmost urgency. Keep in touch if you have further questions about scheduled backups in QBO. I'll be sure to help in any way I can.

potomacpc
Level 3

I identified this issue, gave Inuit the exact steps required to reproduce this and the exact steps required to workaround the bug in QuickBooks causing the issue....a full year ago.  I couldn't have made it any easier for Intuit to reproduce, escalate and fix the issue.  Not only did Intuit do not of this, there wasn't even a formal knowledge base article written to give people and interim workaround.

I have the workaround because I identified it and documented it.  They have provided no help whatsoever for over 1 FULL YEAR so it is far to late to claim to want to get me the best support.

Just tell them to fix the issue and then update this thread with the version it is fixed in.  I am not spending additional time trying help Intuit with this issue.

Limonata
Level 2

Hi @potomacpc

I can not see the screen shot in your early post to show me where to change the setting to get the task to work.  Can you post the screen shot again?  Or write out the step in text?  Greatly appreciated.  I am running QB enterprise v18 in windows server 2016, while the same company file in QB enterprise v18 would run the scheduled backup in windows server 2012.  I have called the tech support although he tried it for 50 min but not able to figure out why.

Joey

JamesDuanT

Hello Joey,

I've read the thread of this conversation and thankfully I was able to catch up of what's happening.

potomacpctech's workaround can help us get rid of the error.

We just need to make sure the Configure for field is set to Windows 10. You can use the screenshots below for his workaround.

I appreciate all your feedback and make sure this issue is taken care of our engineers.

Capture.JPGCapture 1.JPGCapture 2.JPG

Limonata
Level 2

Hi James,

Thank you for the instruction and screen shot.  For windows server 2016 environment, I will keep the configuration to be "windows server 2003, windows xp, or window 2000" and need to check for "run with highest privilege".  And that would trigger the backup program to run.  If I select configure for "windows server 2016", it would not run.  Don't ask me why and it was come by a lot of trials (beers) and errors (pizza).  And I also want to point out that there is a QBBACKUP.Log text file within the QB F2 (production information) -> F3 (Tech Help) -> open file tab.  It contains all of back up log entry on either success or failure attempt and that has been helpful.

Joey

Charies_M

Thanks for keeping us posted and for letting us know the details of your concern, Limonata.

I've already communicated with our product engineers regarding this issue with the scheduled backup. Rest assured we'll be updating this thread together with a permanent fix once we received updates from our engineers. 

Community is always open for any QuickBooks questions that you may encounter. We'll do our best to help you out.

NDJones001
Level 1

Im so sorry, I think Im a little late.

Where are these screen shots taken from? I see the and the tab they are on, but not sure where they are originating from to get to it? Is it Edit > Preference > Something, or do I go into the properties of the application from the desktop? How do I navigate to this area where I can change it to Windows 10? Much appreciated response

Rasa-LilaM
QuickBooks Team

I’m happy to see you joining in on this thread, NDJones001.

I want to ensure your computer is properly configured for the backup schedule to seamlessly work.

In regard to the screenshots provided by @JamesDuanT, you’ll have to go into the Properties of your desktop to set it to Windows 10. The process requires accessing your company file, so I suggest reaching out to your IT personnel for help in the configuration.

Please let me know how it goes or if I can be of any help. I'd be glad to assist you further. Have a great rest of your day.

Limonata
Level 2

NDJones001,

In your windows start menu, if you search for "task scheduler", it would lead you to that menu.

wfus
Level 1

It´s March 2019, and this bug still exists in the current QB !

Btw. it´s not only an issue on Windows 10, also Windows Server 2016.

SophiaAnnL

We're still working on getting this issue fixed, wfus.

Right now, we do not have an estimated time frame to resolve this issue with the scheduled backups. We have an available workaround though, and that is to manually backup your company file. 

Here's how:

1. Click File in the upper left-hand corner.
  2. Select Back Up Company, and then choose Create Local Backup.
  3. Click the radio button for Local backup, and then click Next.
  4. Choose the location where you'd like to save the backup copy.
  5. Click Next in the Create Backup window, and then click Finish.

I'd also recommend getting in touch with us so we can add your company details to the investigation. This way, you'll be notified when we roll out a permanent fix. To get our contact number, just scroll up from this thread and follow the steps given by my colleagues.

I appreciate your patience on this. Please let me know if you need more help with QuickBooks.

potomacpc
Level 3

Scheduled backups have been broken in Windows 10 for ALL Windows 10 users for 1 1/2 years now.  A core requirement for any accounting system is backup and in 1 1/2 years the developer of by far the leading accounting product in the world has been unable to fix what is a MAJOR, SYSTEM CRIPPLING issue.  This is absurd.  You "solution" to run a manual backup is almost as absurd.

I will repeat again, as I have been since identifying this issue and HANDING INTUIT THE FIX 1 1/2 YEARS AGO.

ALL QUICKBOOKS PRO USERS RUNNING WINDOWS 10 IN THE ENTIRE WORLD ARE UNABLE TO RUN A SCHEDULED BACKUP BECAUSE OF THIS BUG.

potomacpc
Level 3

I misspoke....the issue was identified and a workaround was provided by me to Intuit in this thread (2) YEARS AGO!

wbilotta134
Level 1

QB support is lackluster at best.  Since it has the bulk of the market share it just does not care about supporting its customers.  

How many users are under the false assumption that their information is being automatically backed up?  Many will find out when their computer fails and they attempt to retrieve their backup file only to find out QB has NOT been performing automatic backups.

The real kicker is the fact that QB has known about this issue for almost two years and has not delivered a solution.  

wbilotta134
Level 1

@SophiaAnnL   Wow, great solution.  Tell everyone they should perform a manual backup until QB figures out how to fix a problem that has existed for almost two years.

Great support

taxprep612
Level 1

I have tried this work around but when I select to run in windows 10 config it asks me for user name and password and when I enter it, it tells me the specified account name is not valid.  What am I doing wrong?  I am assuming it is asking for the Windows user name and password, but I have tried that as well as the password set for my quickbooks company file, So far I have not been able to change it.  And yes, on both Windows and QuickBooks I am an Adminstrator.

ShiellaGraceA
QuickBooks Team

Hello taxprep612,

The user name and password should be your Windows or computer password. You can restart your computer and configure the settings again.

You might also want to reach out to your IT personnel for help in the configuration process.

Please scroll up from this thread for the steps to configure.

Let us know if you need help with anything else. Thanks for posting.

taxprep612
Level 1

Already tried that, but it will not accept my windows log on credentials.  I agree with the previous poster, this is something I have been dealing with since the Windows update and I had hoped that when I updated my quickbooks to 2019 that it would have been fixed.

I would also like to add, that I have several other programs, (Tax Preparation Software) that backsup automatically without any problem what so ever.  Using the above suggested work around I can change any of the other scheduled software without even needing to insert a password, so I know it's not a windows thing it's an Intuit thing!  We pay good money to use your software and all functions of it should work!

potomacpc
Level 3

Everyone should take comfort in the fact that after 2 1/2 hours on the phone with QuickBooks escalated support, they have stated this is a Windows issue and not a QuickBooks issue.

I am being sarcastic about taking comfort but I wish I was joking about their "senior" support honestly stating that this is a Windows issue and there is nothing QuickBooks can do.

They were also unimpressed with this thread, the fact the issue has been open for over a year, the fact that multiple Intuit resources have commented that the issue is being looked into and the fact that the simple fix I provided over a year ago would resolve the issue.

potomacpc
Level 3

Sorry, 2+ years.  I always get confused with how long this has existed because of the absurdity of scheduled backup being broken in an accounting product for so long.

DCC123
Level 1

AWESOME!!!!   

Send a bill to quickbooks for a million dollars.  They should happily pay it.

Need to get in touch?

Contact us