cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dalgleishj72
Level 1

Set up QuickBooks Scan Manager

Does this help page refer to QuickBooks for the mac?

I can't find the scan manager,

I can't find the icon for docs in my tool bar.

I need help here

My AIO printer is TWAIN compliant!

Solved
Best answer March 26, 2018

Best Answers
MichelleT

Hi there, @dalgleishj72,

Thanks for reaching out to me about QuickBooks Scan Manager.

QuickBooks Scan Manager is only supported in QuickBooks Desktop for Windows. This is the reason why you’re not able to see it or the Document Center.

For QuickBooks Desktop for Mac, you’ll have to scan the attachments. Here’s how:

1.    Open the transaction.
2.    Click the attachment icon to open the scan window.
3.    Select the options and settings for the scan.
4.    Click Scan.

If you need other users to access the attachments in a multi-user mode, you’ll need to set up the Attached Documents Library on a shared drive. To find out more, you can go through the User Guide and search these topics:

•    To scan an attachment
•    Tips and tricks for attaching files in QuickBooks and using the Attached Documents Library
•    Attachments Center

Stay in touch if you have additional questions about scanning in QuickBooks Desktop for Mac. I’m here to help however I can.

View solution in original post

32 Comments 32
MichelleT

Hi there, @dalgleishj72,

Thanks for reaching out to me about QuickBooks Scan Manager.

QuickBooks Scan Manager is only supported in QuickBooks Desktop for Windows. This is the reason why you’re not able to see it or the Document Center.

For QuickBooks Desktop for Mac, you’ll have to scan the attachments. Here’s how:

1.    Open the transaction.
2.    Click the attachment icon to open the scan window.
3.    Select the options and settings for the scan.
4.    Click Scan.

If you need other users to access the attachments in a multi-user mode, you’ll need to set up the Attached Documents Library on a shared drive. To find out more, you can go through the User Guide and search these topics:

•    To scan an attachment
•    Tips and tricks for attaching files in QuickBooks and using the Attached Documents Library
•    Attachments Center

Stay in touch if you have additional questions about scanning in QuickBooks Desktop for Mac. I’m here to help however I can.

mecoover75
Level 2

I am also having issues getting my scanner to work.  I hit the scan and attach button, but nothing happens.  My scanner is on as I just scanned the file I want to my computer and uploaded it manually...

ClayJ
QuickBooks Team

Good afternoon, @mecoover75.

I want to make sure you can use your scanner with QuickBooks. I have some steps for you to verify that everything is set up properly to use your scanner. If you are scanning documents for the first time, you need to set up the QuickBooks Scan Manager for QuickBooks Attached Documents. Here's How: 

Note: Your scanner must be TWAIN compliant in order to work with QuickBooks.

• From the icon bar in QuickBooks, select Docs to bring up the Doc Center.
  • Select Scan a Document.
  • Click New to set up a new profile.
  • Edit the name of your profile, then click Continue.
  • Adjust the profile settings as necessary, and then click Save.
    Note: Your scanned documents will be saved in the same location as the company file (.QBW). If you want to change the location, you will have to move your company file.
  • Highlight your profile, then click Select.
  • In the Select Scanner window, choose Scanner Setup Wizard.
    Note: The Current Selection field should list your scanner. If you do not see your scanner listed, select the Yes radio button then click Next to download the latest scanner database from Nuance.
  • Choose the appropriate mode.
  • Check the Perform Tests box, then click Next.
  • Select the tests you want to run, then select Next twice to start testing your Scanner.
  • You should see the test page you scanned in place of “Your scanner document here.” Check the Repeat this test in order to check all modes box, then click Next to continue testing in other available modes.

Once you have tested every mode, and everything works correctly, you can use your scanner with QuickBooks Scan Manager. Should you still have issues after trying these steps, I'm attaching an article with additional options to resolve this. Leave me a comment below if you have any questions for me. 

mecoover75
Level 2

Does this work for the Mac desktop version?  I am not seeing a Doc center.

mecoover75
Level 2

My computer won't even recognize that a scanner is present.  I did check and it says that all epson scanners are compatible.

ClayJ
QuickBooks Team

Hey again, @mecroover75. 

The information I provided was for QuickBooks for Windows. With QuickBooks for Mac, you can scan documents to your computer and then upload them into QuickBooks. Here's how: 

• Open the transaction in QuickBooks.
  • Click the attachment icon to open the scan window.
  • Select the options and settings for the scan.
  • Click Scan.

These steps should help with attaching your documents in QuickBooks for Mac. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

RonM228
Level 2

Michelle,

I am running QB Desktop 2018. Quickbooks sees my scanner but says scanner could not be selected. I also have Nuance paperPort14 installed and it has no problem seeing and using my scanner.  Is there a conflict with QB Scan Manager and PaperPort14?

MichelleT

Hi there, @RonM228,

Welcome to the QuickBooks Community. I’ll help you go through some troubleshooting steps to get the scanner to work with QuickBooks Desktop 2018.

There shouldn’t be any conflict between QuickBooks Scan Manager and Nuance PaperPort14 since they are two different programs that work independently. The scanner could not be selected message usually appears if the scanner is not TWAIN compliant or the driver is not up to date.

You can contact the scanner manufacturer or visit their website to see the product specifications and latest driver updates. Once done, let’s run some test to ensure the problem isn’t lying with the scanner itself.

I’ll walk you through the steps:

1.    Open the Scanner Setup Wizard.
2.    Select the scanner.
3.    Select Normal Mode.
4.    Check the Perform Tests box.
5.    Click Next.
6.    Click Next again.
7.    Select a test to run.
8.    Click Next, then click Next again to start the scanner test.
9.    The test page will appear in Your scanner document here.
10.  Check the Repeat this test in order to check all modes box and click Next to continue testing other modes.

Once done, try scanning again using the QuickBooks Scan Manager. If the test run fails, try scanning a document outside QuickBooks.

If it doesn’t work, there may be some issues with the scanner or settings that need to be configured. In this case, I recommend reaching out to the manufacturer or consulting an IT professional.

Let me know if you’re able to scan outside the program. I’m here to provide additional solutions to get the Scan Manager working.

RonM228
Level 2

HI,

I can scan outside of quick books with no problem. As  I mentioned, I am using Nuance PP14 with the scanner and I use the twain variant with Paper Port.  Your scan manager is provided by nuance. So it should work?

ClayJ
QuickBooks Team

That is correct, @RonM228. Even if they are from the same developer, in this instance they are essentially two different programs. However, you shouldn't run into any compatibility issues so long as everything is up to date, and the peripherals are compliant with the system requirements. From what you've said so far, it appears as though the hardware meets the requirements. With that being said, have you had a chance to try the steps that @MichelleT recommended to make sure there are no other issues with the scanner? 

Debi2
Level 1

I am also trying to set up my scanner, which is a Fujitsu using ScanSnap and it is TWAIN compliant.  I get an error message: Unable to find scanner driver.  You must have your scanner properly installed before using Quickbooks Scan Manager.

the scanner works fine on its own.  When I try to set up a new profile, the New menu items is greyed out so that I cannot choose it.  

Please let me know if you have any solutions.

Debi Morgan

ClayJ
QuickBooks Team

Hi, @Debi2.

Thanks for stopping by the QuickBooks Community. I appreciate you for sharing this information here. From what you've explained, it appears that QuickBooks may be encountering an error which prevents it from recognizing your scanner. To troubleshoot this, you can perform a Clean Install of the software. Here's how:

Reinstall QuickBooks using a clean install:

>Uninstall QuickBooks Desktop:

• On your keyboard, press Windows+R to open the Run command.
  • Type in Control Panel and click OK.
  • Click Programs and Features (If Control Panel is in Category View, click Uninstall a Program.)
  • In the list of programs, select QuickBooks and click Uninstall/Change.
  • Follow the prompts to complete the process.

>Rename the Installation folders:

• Download the QuickBooks_Clean_Install_Tool.exe file and save it to your desktop.
  • Open QuickBooks_Clean_Install_Utility.exe.
  • Click I Accept on the license agreement.
  • Select your version of QuickBooks Desktop and click Continue.
  • Click OK when you see the message "QuickBooks is now ready for a clean install, please install to the default directory."

>Reinstall QuickBooks Desktop:

Try this and let me know what your results are. If you're still having this issue with the scanner, I'll provide other alternatives to get you back up and running. If you have any questions about this info or anything else QuickBooks, feel free to reach out to me here in the Community.

cmatalincoln
Level 1

Hello,

When I go to scan with my epson scanner > the epson scan prompt as well as the qb scan prompt comes up > this is too many prompts for the user

Is there a way to turn off the epson scan prompt? I tried a custom scan wizard set up and marked to always hide the other prompt but it still appears.

I also tried a fresh install of the epson scan software but it still pops up.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

FritzF

Hello there, @cmatalincoln.

Pleased to see you here in the Community. I can help route you to the right support that can assist you with your Epson scanner.

Since you already performed some troubleshooting to your Epson scan software and still getting the prompt, I'd highly suggest contacting Epson Support Team to check if they can turn off the prompt you're getting when using the scanner. You can reach them through this link: https://epson.com/Support/Scanners/sh/s2.

That's it! Please let me know how it goes or if you have any other questions by leaving a comment below. I'm always here to answer them. Enjoy the rest of the week!

cjenkinsn411bc
Level 1

I was using Quickbooks Scan Manager successfully however now when I go to the Doc Center and try to scan by clicking on scan document it brings up the Quickbooks Scan Manager, immediately goes to the "Last Profile" and Can't find the scanner it is looking for so stops.  My issue is it doesn't give me a chance to pick a profile or set up a new one.  The scanner it is looking for is not the scanner I have been using (which works fine for any other scanner application)

MirriamM

Hi there, cjenkinsn411bc,

Let me get the help you need with regards to the challenges that you've encountered on your Scan Manager.

To further isolate the issue, you can follow these steps:

1. Repair QuickBooks to fix any possible data damages that are causing the issue.
  2. Reinstall QuickBooks using clean install, then set up QuickBooks Scan Manager again.

I'm attaching a great resource that you can check on in setting up QuickBooks Scan Manager.

However, if the issue still persist, I suggest contacting our QuickBooks Technical Support team. They'll be able to pull up your account in a secure environment and conduct further investigation to fix the problem.

Here’s how to reach them:

1. Click this link https://help.quickbooks.intuit.com/en_US/contact.
  2. Choose the QuickBooks Product.
  3. Select your QuickBooks Desktop version.
  4. On the Contact Us page, select a topic.
  5. Click on Get Phone Number button to see the support number.

If you have further inquiries concerning QuickBooks Scan Manager, please let me know. I will gladly additionally help you.

heliboy
Level 1

When I click on the scan icon in the attachment box, it says looking for scanner then nothing happens. Any thoughts?

FritzF

Hello there, @heliboy.

Thanks for joining this conversation. Allow me to chime in and share some additional information about the QuickBooks Scan Manager.

Just to verify, are you referring to the Scanner window as the icon? If so, clicking the Scanner Setup Wizard on that window should show the scanner list.

If this doesn't show up, please consider checking if your scanner is TWAIN compliant. Then, test whether you can use it normally outside of QuickBooks. If not, the problem may be with the scanner itself. In this case, I suggest reaching out to the manufacturer or contact an IT professional to resolve this.

For additional troubleshooting steps, check out this article that tackles setting up QuickBooks Scan Manager for further guidance.

Please let me know how everything goes or if you're referring to something else. I'm always here to help. Take care and have a good one.

heliboy
Level 1

It is a twain scanner, and it does work outside of QB, this is what it looks like?

FritzF

Hello again, @heliboy.

I appreciate you getting back to me and for providing a screenshot. I'm here to help make sure this is taken care of.

This may cause by damage QuickBooks functions which prevent the system from recognizing the scanner. Uninstalling and reinstalling the program can help fix the issue. This process is also called a Clean Install.

Here's how:

1. Close/Exit QB and click the Finder menu on the desktop, then Go.
2. Select Applications, then drag the QB icon to the Trash.

After that, remove QuickBooks PLIST files to revert all preferences to its default settings. Here's how:

1. Go back to the Finder menu, then Go.
2. Hold the Option key, then select Library.
3. Open the Preferences folder, then find the PLIST files with QB and your version in the name, then drag them to the Trash.
4. Empty the Trash.

Restart your computer, then reinstall QBDT. For the detailed steps, check out this article for further guidance: Install and set up QuickBooks Mac Desktop.

For additional information, I'm also including this article that tackles reinstalling QuickBooks for Mac using clean install.

That should get you back in the right track. Let me know how it goes after giving this a try. I'm only a few clicks away if you need anything else. Enjoy the rest of the day.

Conplex
Level 1

I'm having an issue with Scan Manager where the Profile list is empty, and any attempt to create, import or restore profiles, fails. 

I have tried to uninstall and clean install, I even wiped the OS and started completely fresh, the problem however persists. I have also tried using two different TWAIN scanners, both with the same results.

FYI, in the Scanner Setup Wizard, it goes through and successfully scans and sets up all available scan modes.

Thank you!

PreciousB

Thanks for joining this conversation, Conplex.

Let me help make sure you can set up QuickBooks Scan Manager.

First, I want to thank you for sharing the troubleshooting you've tried. Knowing so will help us isolate the problem.

Since you've already tried the recommended steps, I suggest contacting our QuickBooks Desktop Customer Care. They have the resources and tools such as screen-sharing to help investigate this further. Please let the representative know what you've tried so far, so we don't recommend the same troubleshooting.

Here's how to reach us:

1. Open QuickBooks Desktop.
  2. Click Help at the top and choose QuickBooks Desktop Help or press F1 on your keyboard.
  3. On the Have a Question? screen, scroll down and select the QuickBooks support.
  4. Select a topic.
  5. Click the Start a Message button.

image.png

You can always go back to the article provided by my colleagues above for further guidance.

That should get you on the right track.

I'm sure they will take care of this for you. It's my priority that this is resolved for you, so please let me know how it goes. I'm cheering you to continued prosperity.

codersmurf
Level 1

I tried this and it didn't work.  The really odd thing is this printer was working on another computer with quickbooks and this computer had it on there only 6 months or so before and when the scanner was put back on it it doesn't work.

Avi Fleischer
Level 2

I have experienced similar issues on many of my customer's computers. I troubleshooted the issue and figured out a fix. I posted a YouTube video explaining how I fixed the issue. Hopefully this will resolve your issue as well. See the video below:

Need to get in touch?

Contact us