cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Solved

Upgrade QB Pro Desktop 2016 to QB Pro Desktop 2019

I have a client who is using QB Pro Desktop 2016, and they have been told that if they upgrade to QB Pro 2019 they will need to start a new company file and will not be able to access previous transactions in the new file.  The recommendation is that they upgrade to Enterprise instead which is a much more expensive upgrade and - in my opinion - unnecessary.  Question, can a company file from the 2016 version be upgraded to 2019 with integrity?  If so, why would the QB rep tell my client they would not be able to upgrade the file?  I have used QB for twenty years, and this has never been the case.

Best answer 05-08-2019 01:48 PM

Accepted Solutions
QuickBooks Team

Re: Upgrade QB Pro Desktop 2016 to QB Pro Desktop 2019

It's so nice to have you here, @TCrisler!

You can access your 2016 company file with the 2019 QuickBooks Desktop version. I'm here to share a few insights and help you from there.

To start with, you can absolutely use and access your company file in 2016 with the new 2019 version. It doesn't necessarily require you to create a new company file.

For your reference, you can check out this detailed answer shared by @John.pero3276 on this thread: https://community.intuit.com/questions/1783043-unable-to-update-to-from-2016-to-2019-desktop-pro

That being said, you'll have to create a complete backup copy of your company file. Let me show you how:

1. Go to File.
  2. Select Backup Company.
  3. Click Create Local Backup.
  4. Choose Local Backup.
  5. Select Next.
  6. Click OK.

In addition, here's an article you can read to learn more about creating a backup copy of your company file: Create Backup of the QuickBooks Desktop Company File.

Once you've completely created the backup copy, you can now update to the latest 2019 version. From there you can restore the backup copy of your company file and access your account successfully.

Lastly, you might also check this helpful article for your future reference: Restore Failed when you try to Restore a Backup.

I'll be sure to help you out here in the Community if you have any other questions. Just leave it in the comment section down below.

1 Comment
QuickBooks Team

Re: Upgrade QB Pro Desktop 2016 to QB Pro Desktop 2019

It's so nice to have you here, @TCrisler!

You can access your 2016 company file with the 2019 QuickBooks Desktop version. I'm here to share a few insights and help you from there.

To start with, you can absolutely use and access your company file in 2016 with the new 2019 version. It doesn't necessarily require you to create a new company file.

For your reference, you can check out this detailed answer shared by @John.pero3276 on this thread: https://community.intuit.com/questions/1783043-unable-to-update-to-from-2016-to-2019-desktop-pro

That being said, you'll have to create a complete backup copy of your company file. Let me show you how:

1. Go to File.
  2. Select Backup Company.
  3. Click Create Local Backup.
  4. Choose Local Backup.
  5. Select Next.
  6. Click OK.

In addition, here's an article you can read to learn more about creating a backup copy of your company file: Create Backup of the QuickBooks Desktop Company File.

Once you've completely created the backup copy, you can now update to the latest 2019 version. From there you can restore the backup copy of your company file and access your account successfully.

Lastly, you might also check this helpful article for your future reference: Restore Failed when you try to Restore a Backup.

I'll be sure to help you out here in the Community if you have any other questions. Just leave it in the comment section down below.