cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor *

Was QB 2019 released as a beta version?

That's the only reason that I can think of for the company files being updated, and a system restart required, after every update that's been installed since I replaced 2016 with 2019.  To me, these 2 things mean that each update is a pretty significant one, which, again to me, means that 2019 had some major issues when it was released for sale.  In 30 years of using QB, I can't ever remember having to do a system restart after updates are installed and I've never seen the company file requiring an update, except for major version changes.

5 Comments
QuickBooks Team

Re: Was QB 2019 released as a beta version?

Hi there, @KnoxFarm.

Upgrading from an old product version requires updating your company file and restarting your system. I can add a few details about this.

Since upgrading from 2016-2019 has a lot of changes, updating will be necessary for it to take effect.

In addition, you need to turn on the Automatic Update option in QuickBooks. This way, you won't anymore be prompted to restart your system when an update is released.

To turn this on, you can follow the steps below:

1. Click on Help from the menu bar.
  2. Choose Update QuickBooks.
  3. Select the Options tab.
  4. Click on the Yes radio button beside Automatic Update.
  5. Click on Close.

You can read this article in your free time for more information: Recent Changes, Improvements, and Fixes in QuickBooks Desktop 2019.

You can always get back to me if you have any other concerns. I'll only be a post away.

Frequent Contributor *

@Alessandra_B wrote:

Hi there, @KnoxFarm.

Upgrading from an old product version requires updating your company file and restarting your system. I can add a few details about this.

Since upgrading from 2016-2019 has a lot of changes, updating will be necessary for it to take effect.

In addition, you need to turn on the Automatic Update option in QuickBooks. This way, you won't anymore be prompted to restart your system when an update is released.

To turn this on, you can follow the steps below:

1. Click on Help from the menu bar.
  2. Choose Update QuickBooks.
  3. Select the Options tab.
  4. Click on the Yes radio button beside Automatic Update.
  5. Click on Close.

You can read this article in your free time for more information: Recent Changes, Improvements, and Fixes in QuickBooks Desktop 2019.

You can always get back to me if you have any other concerns. I'll only be a post away.

Thanks, Alessandra, but I updated to 2019 almost a month ago.  There have been 2 updates released since I installed 2019 (I =do= have Auto Update on) and both 2019 updates have required a computer restart as well as a company file update.  I've =never= seen either of these in 30+ years of using QB, which leads me to believe that the version of 2019 that I purchased was released with some "known issues" that are being corrected "on the fly", as it were.  I also can't remember ever getting updates with this frequency, which also contributes to my suspicions that 2019 was released as a more-or-less beta. 

Wouldn't be the first time that Intuit has done this, as I was =very= aware of the POS v9 debacle a few years ago, where Intuit was literally forced to write a program to allow people to roll back their "upgraded" company files to an earlier version due to the total mess they made of that release.  At the time, we stuck with POS v6 about 5 years past it's support cutoff date due to the FUBAR at that time.

QuickBooks Team

Thanks for sharing what happened with our latest Desktop version, @KnoxFarm.

I understand how you’re used to the old QuickBooks way of updating the program. Due to changing technology, 2019 was released.

That being said, some processes may become a bit different than what you had experienced. Rest assured, the new QuickBooks Desktop 2019 isn’t a beta version.

To know more about what the new and improved features are, please check out this article: QBDT 2019.

Updating the program is always beneficial since it ensures better security and performance. It helps get rid of bugs in the application that sometimes causes errors while in use.

Here’s an article that tackles more about this topic: Update to the latest release.

That’s it. Please let me know if you have any questions. I’m more than happy to help. Have a good one!

Frequent Contributor *

A warning that these changes were being made would have been nice.  That's a BIG difference, IMO, in how the updates are handled.  The restart, especially, is a right PITA, and one that every 'doze user has hated since, well, Win 3.1.  :-)

QuickBooks Team

Hi @KnoxFarm,

I personally understand where you're coming from and I know that it's not easy when errors come up while doing your task for your business.

We are committed to developing an easy and straightforward financial tool that will help you today and will grow with you tomorrow. We're also investing in quality innovation and new technologies to give all customers the best product we could offer.

All product enhancements were gathered base on all opinions shared by our customer's like you. Thus, I'll pass along your request to our product developers. This way, they'll know your sentiments and experiences while working your task in managing your business within our software.

In addition, I'd recommend checking our QuickBooks Resource Center so you'll be updated with the new features released in our software.

As always, you can visit our Help Articles page for QuickBooks Desktop if in case you need to learn some "How do I" steps.

If there's anything else that I can help you with, please let me know in the comment section down below. I'll be always around ready to help.