cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Not applicable

What does everyone think about the price increase of Quickbooks this year? Seem extremely high to me...

I'm sure others are the same, but it is going up from $360 a year to $645.  80% increase...
155 Comments
Established Community Backer ***

Re: What does everyone think about the price increase of Quickbooks this year? Seem extremely high to me...

what subscription are you getting your numbers from?

currently regular price for the plus subscription is 60 per month, 720 a year

QBO has raised the prices 4 times since 2016

Experienced Member

Re: What does everyone think about the price increase of Quickbooks this year? Seem extremely high to me...

I can't believe there isn't more noise about this.  I have a client that paid $430 last year, and they're being charged $645 for 2019.  A 50% increase is absurd. Seriously thinking about going back to desktop version.

QuickBooks Team

Re: What does everyone think about the price increase of Quickbooks this year? Seem extremely hig...

Hi, Tenacity.

I completely understand where you're coming from. Allow me to provide you a little information about the price increase in QuickBooks Online.

We are committed to developing easy, straightforward financial tools that help you today and grow with you tomorrow. We want to ensure that our customers will always have the most efficient software available to help them run their business.

You may find this article helpful: https://quickbooks.intuit.com/pricing/.

If you have any questions about the price increase, you can call our dedicated team who will be happy to assist you. Our contact details can be found here along with our opening hours:

1. Go to: https://help.quickbooks.intuit.com/en_US/contact.
  2. Choose your QuickBooks Product.
  3. Select your QuickBooks version.
  4. On the Contact Us page, click a topic.
  5. Click on the Get Phone Number button to see the support number.

We want to ensure we continue to provide exceptional service. Let me know if you need anything else. Have a nice day.

My non-profit client (Rotary club) paid $10.87/mo for 2017-18.  They now pay $26.22/mo for 2019.   That's an unreasonable price increase and the non-profit can't afford it.  I expect the board to drop QBO service at their next meeting.

QuickBooks Team

Re: What does everyone think about the price increase of Quickbooks this year? Seem extremely hig...

Hello there, jhw9183.

Allow me to step in and provide information with what I know about the QuickBooks Online pricing.

I understand that price increase is a huge factor affecting your business. We recognize that a price change like this can be difficult for small business owners.

We are continuously working on QuickBooks Online to make it easier for you to manage your business and get your accounting done. In case you want to know more about the details, I'm adding the article I recommend below:

QuickBooks Price Increase January 2019.

I'll be sending feedback as well through our internal product enhancement list. I also encourage you to send feedback by clicking the Gear icon and selecting Feedback.

Please be sure to let me know if there's anything else I can do to help you out with the pricing concern. The Community is always her to help.

Mine went from $19/mo to $27/mo. A 42% increase is absurd. If I increased my prices that much I'd be out of business. Not happy Quickbooks....

QuickBooks Team

Hi there, @Dirtman.

Thank you for reaching out to us and providing feedback. 

We recognize that price is an important factor to your business. However, we balance adding new enhancements and features to price increases. Intuit aims to provide our customers with the best customer experience by investing in technologies and resources to help make your work easier. 

I will send my own feedback on your behalf, so our management team knows all customer's sentiments.

Let me know if you have other questions or concerns. I'm here to help you out. Have a good one.

Frequent Contributor *

The price for the Advanced at $150/month is absolutely insane. Forcing people who are in Online Plus because they have surpassed your new usage limits is ridiculous. Add to the fact that normally I get 50% off of products with my ProAdvisor pricing but for Advanced I only get 30% off. One of my clients will go from paying $25/month to paying $105/month, a 320% increase mid-accounting year.

QuickBooks Team

Hi @pmcwhorter

We're investing in quality innovation and technology to give all customers the best product. Also, our engineers are working hard to upgrade the the product to make it easier for users to manage their businesses.

I appreciate you for expressing your sentiments about the big differences in the price increase in QuickBooks. Rest assured, you’ll experience the best service while using QuickBooks Online.

If you have questions with your subscription charges, I sggest contacting our QuickBooks Customer support. This way, they can review your subscription and give you an explanation why you're charges increased.

Here's how you can contact them:

1. Log in to your QuickBooks account.
  2. Click on Help.
  3. Click on Contact Us.

You can read this article for more details: QuickBooks Price Increase January 2019.

We appreciate your patience with us through this period of the price increase.

Frequent Explorer *

I suggest QBO stop asking their accountants if we would recommend QBO to our clients or peers. After you gouge our clients with 100% and 600% price increases in one month, do you really think we naively feel that QBO is looking out for the best interest of it's customers?    Seriously?

1) Payroll increases from $2 to $4 per employee - 100%
2) Larger client increases from $25/mo to $150/mo.- 600%

How does QBO really think they'd feel it if the company they had staked their clients' future on just changed it's corporate philosophy from customer satisfaction to greed and profitability.

It's impossible to hide extortionate increases behind the mask of 'More Features and Better Service'.  I was already getting outstanding features and service or I wouldn't have been using QBO.

Yes, this extreme rate hike is completely ridiculous. Highway robbery, particularly given the fact that QBO continues to have an immense amount of improvements needed. Both CPAs that I work with on a weekly basis absolutely hate working with the QuickBooks Online version - and that, of course, has nothing to do with the pricing but with its reporting limitations (in their words).

My husband and I have run our small business  (10-15 employees) for 25 years and have used Quickbooks products since Day 1. Overall, I have always been satisfied with Intuit products, pricing, and support. I converted from the desktop version to Quickbooks Online (for Mac) 2 years ago with our own company. I also convinced two other small companies (for which I am the bookkeeper) to also convert to QuickBooks Online purely for the versatility of remote users.  These rate hikes are completely unreasonable and I am now sorry I ever converted, or referred the other small businesses to QBO. Extremely disappointing, to say the least!

Frequent Contributor *

Really, your best answer is to tell me the changes, that my clients won't use, are worth the increase. And if I have questions, call customer service. I have called before my original post and they just follow a script.

Senior Explorer *

I'm canceling online at my renewal date.

The steady incremental price hikes across all products AND the new feature limits are sleazy. It's time to get out.  And I'm not really buying the disingenuous sales explanation from corporate about the cost of keeping the product up to date. This does not seem to be a problem with subscription products from Autodesk and Adobe. Anyone else have some insight about why bookkeeping software is so much more costly to update than other online software?

Community Backer **

Quickbooks and Accountants always recommended me to use classes for everything. So I did, I have a few hundred. My yearly quickbooks online plus subscription was $720 US Dollars, is going up to $1800. 

This is shocking, what will accountants recommend to their clients? 

Frequent Explorer *

As a followup to my earlier post this week I would like to add:

From the perspective of pure business ethics, if QBO was offering such a fantastic new product (QBO Advanced) and thought clients would LOVE the opportunity to sign up at $150/mo, they should have GRANDFATHERED  their current QBO Plus clients into their existing plans (which has always included unlimited accounts and classes).  That would have been the ethical way to treat their hundreds of thousands of existing accountants and clients.    

Instead, tossing ethics aside, they've chosen to roll out their exorbitantly priced QBO Advanced by cramming it down our existing QBO Plus clients' throats, giving no grandfather options.  I believe the politically correct term for which is "BAIT and SWITCH".  There are other terms which would be less politically correct but I'll leave those to your imagination. 

[removed by moderator]

Senior Explorer *

Hmm... online subscriptions I have from Adobe and Autodesk, which are equally or more complex programs in a different way, aren't doubling their yearly licenses.  Not really buying the corporate line here. The recent price increases trend (as well as feature changes, AKA "limits") is troubling and is making me question Intuit's honesty to their users. I sense they are all in on this business decision and can't see that they will lower prices at this point.  I guess it's time to get out.

Here are some links to export your data from QB Online:

https://www.intuitiveaccountant.com/general-ledger/converting-quickbooks-online-to-quickbooks-deskto...

https://community.intuit.com/articles/1145829-export-data-file-from-quickbooks-online-to-desktop

Experienced Member

It's ridiculous!  Our price more than doubled - from $720 to $1800 per year!   That is NOT small business friendly.  We will be looking for other systems - just started our search today.  I heard good things about Sage.

QuickBooks Team

Hello there, LISA22.

Thanks for following up on this thread. I'd like to provide some information about QuickBooks Online Advanced.

The release of the Advanced version of QuickBooks is not a price increase. You will not be required to upgrade unless you need more than 250 Chart of Accounts, 40 Classes/Locations, and 5 Users. If you are currently over any of these amounts, you can keep the exceeded items and nothing will change. You will only need to upgrade if you require more items in these groups. Additionally, any inactive items will not count toward the limit. You can view your current usage by:

1. Clicking the Gear icon in the top right corner.

2. Choose Account and Settings.

3. Select Usage.

I've got a link that will take you to a QuickBooks Online Plus and Advanced comparison where you'll find the new features that come along with the new plan, as well as pricing options. You can check it out here: https://quickbooks.intuit.com/accounting/advanced/.

I'll be here if you have any other questions.

Frequent Contributor *

You are missing the point as everyone else has from the QuickBooks team. Many of us are already over the insane and random limit that QuickBooks is setting for the number of classes and the size of your chart of accounts. We are also changing these items, especially classes so yes, you are forcing us to upgrade. And for most of us, the added so called "benefits" and "advanced features" of the advanced level do not give us anything we would use. We only have to upgrade because of the limits you have placed. I can tell from all of these comments that the user community is extremely frustrated that we are not being listened to and keep getting the same scripted answers. Either start thinking outside the box on this or don't reply at all. 

Community Backer **

@MorganB 

You are completely ignoring the fact that when I purchased the QBO Plus Subscription, Intuit quickbooks sold it to me with unlimited Charts of Accounts and unlimited Classes. 

..... "You will only need to upgrade if you require more items in these groups. ".....  Sure, until you need to add 1 more Class, then you are encountered with a  Intuit quickbooks screen that says, sure, pay me $1800 US Dollars per year ($150/mo) and you can add that one more Class you need to run your business. My QBO Plus Subscription is $60/mo, $720/year, so Intuit Quickbooks has increased my subscription from $720/year to $1800/year starting April 2019 !!!

As far as I am concerned, Intuit quickbooks has defrauded all of it's loyal clients/subscribers with their arbitrary limits imposed of only 40 Classes when most accountants and even Intuit always recommended me to use Classes for everything. What is worse is that, no one from Intuit has yet explained to me why they just removed unlimited Classes from my QBO Plus Subscription when they advertised that my subscription came with unlimited Classes.  

Intuit Quickbooks should have kept their promise to the existing client base subscribed to the QBO Plus Subscription and allowed for that client base to keep the features they were once adversided and sold with that product when it was purchased, unlimited Charts of Accounts and unlimited Classes.  

Obviously with 6,000,000 worldwide subscribers, Intuit is very powerful, and they can get away with stealing. This is an absolute extortion of your installed base of subscribers Intuit, shame on you!

QuickBooks Team

Hi there, pmcwhorter.

Thanks for joining in on the conversation.

As you mentioned, there are several threads in the Community with similar questions regarding QuickBooks Online Advanced and the usage limits terms. My goal is to provide information about this release and share helpful links that contain even more details on the subject. After a while, we do end up sharing similar information multiple times.

If you are currently over the maximum amount of any items in the Chart of Accounts, Classes/Locations, and User, you will be able to keep them without seeing a difference in your subscription price. You will also be able to make any necessary changes in these areas, other than making one component inactive then active again. The upgrade would be in order if you needed to add new elements to these particular factions. This link offers info on the usage limits in QuickBooks Online: https://quickbooks.intuit.com/community/Help-Articles/What-are-usage-limits-in-QuickBooks-Online/m-p....

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Frequent Contributor *

What we have been told is that if we want to add anything to our chart accounts or add to our classes and we are above our limit, we won't be able to do it without upgrade. That is honestly insane. 

Until Intuit decides to listen to its users, we are going to be frustrate and angry. 

Community Backer **

@MorganB 

You replied to the thread, "Thanks for joining in on the conversation", then you repeated yourself with a copy and paste post, and completely ignored my question. I do not want to post the same question again because in the past I posted a similar question in 2 different threats trying to get Intuit and one of the Inituit Team members to answer it and I was banned for several days. 

Experienced Member

So I can keep my 9 users and not have to upgrade when we switch one one of the users to a new email address?