cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Innerglobalinc
Level 1

Which quickbooks program is best for a construction company? I have simple start, how do I upgrade to the better version

9 Comments 9
Angelyn_T
QuickBooks Team

Which quickbooks program is best for a construction company? I have simple start, how do I upgrade to the better version

Hello there, @Innerglobalinc.

Thank you for posting here in the Community. Allow me to share some information about the QuickBooks Online (QBO) feature and how to upgrade QuickBooks.

QuickBooks have amazing features which you can try and use. You can choose on the plan you'll subscribe that fits to your business. For QBO, we have the Simple Start, Essentials, and Plus. For the feature differences, you may check this: QuickBooks Online plan.

If you want to upgrade your subscription, here's how:

1. Go to the Gear icon.
  2. Select Account and Settings.
  3. Select Billing & Subscription.
  4. From the QuickBooks section, select Upgrade.
  5. You'll be presented with options for upgrading, along with features and pricing. Select Upgrade for the product you want.
  6. If prompted, enter payment information.
  7. Confirm the upgrade and new billing rate, the select Confirm Upgrade.

In addition, we also have our QuickBooks Desktop product. We have the Pro, Premier, and Enterprise versions. QuickBooks Premier has the contractor edition, which has more tools than the Pro. To know more about the QuickBooks Desktop product features, please check this: QuickBooks Desktop product.

Feel free to get back to us if you have any other QuickBooks concern. Wishing you the best!

qbteachmt
Level 15

You would want QBO Plus, so that you can use Products and Services, including Noninventory products, for handling the purchase data and charge back as "purchased as expense for customers and charged as reimbursed gross income for me" as a Function. This would include Doors, Windows, Flooring, Appliances, permits, subcontractor services, your own crew, etc. This includes the ability to use estimates for internal needs or sending to clients, as well.

These are called Two Sided products/services.

lynnj0750
Level 1

So..you can only access the contractor features if you buy the desktop premier plan and not the online version. Do both work with Mac computers? 

lynnj0750
Level 1

I'm using a Mac product. Is the contractor specific features only available on the desktop version and not the online version? Will both work with Mac? 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello, lynnj0750.

Managing a construction business can also be done in QuickBooks Online. As what the Community Backer mentioned above, QBO Plus can cater this situation.

QuickBooks Desktop has specific software that can be downloaded on your Mac computer (QuickBooks Desktop for Mac). Moreover, QuickBooks Online will also work in Mac devices since it’s a web based software.

To learn more about QuickBooks plans and pricing, please refer to the following articles:

Please consider posting your questions here again if you have other concerns with QuickBooks.

qbteachmt
Level 15

@lynnj0750 

You can use QB desktop for Mac, for construction, just fine. It has the tools and functions.

QB Online does not Job Track Payroll Labor. The QB for Mac also uses an external payroll function. That would be the main reason to change to running Windows simulation on the Mac, so that you can use QB Desktop Premier Contractor.

rupinderkaur
Level 3

Hi @Innerglobalinc 
Hope this answer help you to choose best version of Quickbooks for construction business...!!

QuickBooks Contractor Edition is best for Contractors who retain a separate record of job costs from their accounting: 

By merging the activities of job costing and basic bookkeeping with QuickBooks Premier Contractor Edition, you may streamline your work. 

As is the case with many small contractors, you may attempt to keep track of job costs using an Excel spreadsheet. Not only will the Contractor Edition save you time by merging duties, but it will also prevent you from missing charges, as job costs are related to total company expenses.

Contractors with several crews: 

Experienced owners are relatively good at forecasting profit on projects in which they are significantly involved, even if precise task costing is not completed. However, as your business grows and various crews’ forms, you lose daily engagement in each work, making job profitability estimation considerably more difficult. Therefore, it is critical to have exact task prices to review and aid your project managers in cost control with multiple crews.

Contractors looking to save money: 

QuickBooks Contractor has the same inventory functionality as QuickBooks Premier’s base edition. Materials turned from a job site can be archived so that your project managers can plan to reuse them on subsequent jobs rather than ordering unnecessary materials.

QuickBooks Premier Contractor Edition combines QuickBooks Premier’s powerful bookkeeping features with solutions that allow general and contractors better track expenses, evaluate performance, and reduce errors. 

The software is comprehensive and sophisticated, and it will almost certainly necessitate the hiring of a full-time bookkeeper, but that is the nature of cost accounting for massive projects.

You must first purchase QuickBooks Premier before you can purchase QuickBooks Premier Contractor Edition. Before downloading the software, you will ask if you want a free industry-specific edition. 

Choose Contractor Edition, and you’ll be on your way to more accurate work costing.

Regards

Rupinder Kaur | Sagenext | QuickBooks Hosting Provider

lovelllove
Level 1

i need some thing that i can keep record of product and  price and labor

MirriamM

Welcome to the thread, lovelllove.

Let me help you decide the QuickBooks product which best suits your needs.

In QuickBooks Online Plus, Advanced, and Accountant, we have the Project feature that'll help track your labor costs and profitability. If you're using QuickBooks Online Simple Start and Essentials, you may consider upgrading your plan.

To help determine the accounting software that'll suit your business needs, I recommend visiting this website: Compare QuickBooks Products.

Please let me know if you have any further queries by dropping a comment below. It would be my pleasure to assist you with them.

Need to get in touch?

Contact us