cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
chris55
Level 1

BAS Expense category I get error You have either selected a tax liability account on a transaction where it's not allowed, or haven't specified a tax rate along with it.

When I try to allocate a banking transaction to the BAS Expense category I get the error "You have either selected a tax liability account on a transaction where it's not allowed, or haven't specified a tax rate along with it." I have Out of Scope for GST selected, but even if I change it to GST-fee or GST on sales I get the same error.

Solved
Best answer March 12, 2019

Best Answers
IntuitChris
Intuit

BAS Expense category I get error You have either selected a tax liability account on a transaction where it's not allowed, or haven't specified a tax rate along with it.

Hey Chris

This would be related to Chart of Account your selecting rather than the GST Code your are using, you will want to allocate the payment to the BAS Suspense Account.  

View solution in original post

7 Comments 7
IntuitChris
Intuit

Hey Chris

This would be related to Chart of Account your selecting rather than the GST Code your are using, you will want to allocate the payment to the BAS Suspense Account.  

chris55
Level 1

Thank you! That worked.
IntuitChris
Intuit

No problem :smile:
EC8
Level 1

Hi Chris,

I have the same error message. I am a French Native Speaker so I am "jungling" in all financial English acronyms, trying to understand HOW to fix the issue. I do not understand your reply, could you please take me trough more details one by one  to fix this? Thank you

Adrian_A

Vous avez moi pour vous aider à corriger cette erreur, EC8.

Attention, nous utilisons un traducteur en ligne pour répondre à vos préoccupations.

Une fois que vous avez configuré votre TPS dans QuickBooks enligne, de nouveaux comptes seront automatiquement créés dans votre plan

comptable. Ceux-ci sont:  

· Compte de dépenses BAS

· Compte ATO Clearing / BAS Suspense

· Compte de passif BAS

Si vous avez attribué un code GST à l'aide d'un compte BAS Suspense, vous serez invité à cette erreur. Si vous souhaitez utiliser ce compte, nous pouvons enregistrer une entrée de journal. Je vais vous montrer comment:

1. Cliquez sur le bouton + Nouveau, puis sélectionnez Entrée de journal.

2. Sélectionnez le BAS Suspense sur la première ligne

3. Saisissez le montant dans la colonne Débits.

4. Sur la deuxième ligne, choisissez le compte bancaire connecté pour les flux bancaires.

5. Saisissez le même montant sous Crédits.

6. Cliquez sur Enregistrer.

J'ai également ajouté ces captures d'écran comme guide visuel:

SC 01.JPG

SC 02.JPG

Ensuite, vous devrez l'adapter aux transactions bancaires. Vous pouvez le faire en cliquant sur l'onglet Banque. Accédez à l'onglet Pour révision. Sélectionnez ensuite les transactions. Cliquez sur Rechercher une correspondance.

N'hésitez pas à parcourir ces articles qui parlent de l'enregistrement du paiement de la TPS:

Vous pouvez toujours me contacter si vous avez encore besoin de mon aide!

En langue anglaise:

You have me to help you fix this error, EC8.

Once you've set up your GST in QuickBooks Online, new accounts will be automatically created in your Chart of Accounts. These are:

• BAS Expense account
  • ATO Clearing/BAS Suspense account
  • BAS Liabilities account

If you've assigned a GST code using a BAS Suspense account, you'll be prompted with this error. If you want to use this account, we can record a Journal Entry. I'll show you how:

1. Click the + New button, and then select Journal Entry.
  2. Select BAS Suspense in the first line
  3. Enter the amount on the Debits column.
  4. In the second line, choose the bank account connected for bank feeds.
  5. Enter the same amount under Credits.
  6. Click Save.

I've also added these screenshots as your visual guide:

SC 01.JPG

SC 02.JPG

Afterward, you'll have to match it to the bank transactions. You can do this by clicking the Banking tab. Go to the For Review tab. Then, select the transactions. Click Find match.

Feel free to browse these articles that talk about recording GST payment:

You can always reach out to me if you still need my help!​​​​​​

Linda de Bie
Level 1

Hi,

I'm having this same issue.... I've just connected my ATO account so I can lodge BAS via Quickbooks, but my payment for my BAS I can't allocate a category.  I've tried entering a journal but I don't have a category for "BAS Liabilities".  Do I select "GST Liabilities Payable" instead?

And do I put the date of the journal as the date of the transaction in my bank feeds?  Or does this date not matter if it's today's date?

Thanks!

Linda

Steven_Product Champion
QuickBooks Team

Hi Linda de Bie, 

Correct, the account you want to select for this work around is 'GST Liabilities Payable'. To answer your second question, also correct, as the journal acts as a mediator for the funds moving from the bank account to the GST account for BAS purposes, which is best to record the entry on the same day for reconciliation purposes. Once you select Save and Close, please check back on your Bank Feed for the option to Match the transaction to the journal entry. 

Please keep in mind that if you are using QuickBook's GST centre to lodge your BAS, you can record the payment there and match it to your bank feed rather than using a journal' work around, which you can see the steps here.

Let me know how you go, if you still feel like you're not getting anyway where you can always contact our support team here

Thanks, 

-Steven