cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
michaelbaker64
Level 1

Hi the dashboard sales is different than the profit and loss report income? why is this happening?

5 Comments 5
Kristine Mae

Hi the dashboard sales is different than the profit and loss report income? why is this happening?

Hey there, Miichaelbaker64.

The most common reasons why they have different amounts are:

• The date range doesn't match.
  • The accounting basis is not the same. 

Let's make sure they have the same dates and accounting basis. The dashboard is default to accrual so change the Profit and Loss report's accounting method to Accrual

Please check my screenshot as your reference.

Don't hesitate to leave a comment if you have further questions. 

GraemeS
Level 1

I have this problem happening for LAST month, but perfectly matching when I switch to THIS month.

This is not explained by 'date range' or 'accounting method' ... just switching from LAST to THIS .... unless this switch is getting the date range wrong somehow.

Any help would be appreciated.

RaymondJayO

I can provide you the steps to fix the differences between the Sales graph on the Dashboard and your Profit and Loss (P&L) report, @GraemeS

The date range and accounting method are the two most common reasons for this issue. Since these didn't work, here are the additional possible reasons the Sales graph and the P&L report have differences: 

• The graph doesn't include transactions, such as journal entry and calculated GST amounts. 
  • Sales items point to incorrect income accounts. Also, there are items associated with the transactions that aren't sales. 

You're on the right track in switching the date ranges on the Sales graph. With this, let's first run the Sales by Customer Summary report. This way, you can review the components of the graph. Then, make sure there are no journal entries and calculated GST transactions. I'll guide you how. 

1. Go to Reports from the left menu.
  2. Enter Sales by Customer Summary in the Search box and select it. 
  3. Set the Report period to This Month or Last Month.
  4. Hit Run Report.
  5. Click each amount to check its details. 

The screenshot below shows you the last three steps. 

SalesByCustomerSummaryReport.PNG

Second, let's ensure the sales items are associated with the correct income accounts. Just go to the Product and Services list from the Sales menu. Then, click each item and review the Income account. See the screenshot below for your visual reference. Also, please make sure the items associated with the transactions are all recorded sales. 

SalesItemUsesCorrectIncomeAccount.PNG

Moreover, I recommend visiting this website: An Introduction To The Home Dashboard. It provides you tasks on how to manage the page so you'll have a real-time overview of your company finances. 

I'll be right here to help if you need anything else. Enjoy the rest of your day, @GraemeS

GraemeS
Level 1

Hey RaymondJayO ... thank you so much.

That advice allowed me to pick up the two items that were throwing out the Sales figures .... the biggest one being the Govt incentive deposits that are added in as 'income' but are not 'sales', plus another 'adjustment' I had done during the month.

So ... great advice!!

Rebecca_A Product Champion
QuickBooks Team

That's great to hear! 

-Rebecca