cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
fairfield-impex
Level 3

Need to run Profit & Loss report for each location. How do I do that?

Solved
Best answer May 04, 2019

Best Answers
MirriamM

I appreciate you getting back to the Community, fairfield-impex,

I'm here to provide some information about the difference between location and class tracking.

Using QuickBooks Online Plus subscription, you can track important information in Locations and Classes. This feature lets you track your income and expenses.

Class tracking specifies a different class for each detail line of a transaction while Location tracking allows you to assign a location to an entire transaction.

I've attached a great resource that you can check which best describes the difference in the software: How to set up and use class and location tracking.

If you have any other questions using this feature, please feel free to visit us again. I’d be happy to further assist. Have a great day!

View solution in original post

12 Comments 12
James_MasterofBooksthatareQuick
QuickBooks Team

Hi Fairfield. 

Try opening a profit and loss, click customise, filter, and then location. This should separate the locations in the P&L for you. Is that helpful?

Thanks

fairfield-impex
Level 3

Thank you so much.  I tried that before but did not notice the filter. Rather obscure. 

Do you know the difference between location and class and if I could make it consistent. 

MirriamM

I appreciate you getting back to the Community, fairfield-impex,

I'm here to provide some information about the difference between location and class tracking.

Using QuickBooks Online Plus subscription, you can track important information in Locations and Classes. This feature lets you track your income and expenses.

Class tracking specifies a different class for each detail line of a transaction while Location tracking allows you to assign a location to an entire transaction.

I've attached a great resource that you can check which best describes the difference in the software: How to set up and use class and location tracking.

If you have any other questions using this feature, please feel free to visit us again. I’d be happy to further assist. Have a great day!

nancyb2021
Level 1

Good afternoon

I am just wondering if there is a way to use location tracking that is assigned to journal entries with payroll? I know payroll has a location feature but that doesn't seem to translate to the P&L or B/S. 

thank you in advance!
Nancy

Intuit Zac
Content Creator

Hi Nancy, 

Thank you for reaching out on this and welcome to our community! 

If the payroll journal carries the location, the location information will translate to the P&L and B/S. For more information, please see this Q&A in our community:

Export Payroll Journal with classes and Locations.

Thank you and please let us know if you require any additional assistance.

fairfield-impex
Level 3

I am glad I am receiving messages to my original thread. I have some questions on the same topic.  I have 3 locations which are relevant to three different accounts.   How do I default each location to each linked bank account? So that the correct location is suggested each time. Why is location not compulsory as compared to class? 

nancyb2021
Level 1

Thanks for the quick reply, sorry I should have been more specific. I have set up locations in QBO for all entries,, but how can I tie that same location setting to payroll? When I go in the location setting in payroll does not seem to carry through the general location setting from the system.

Thank you! very appreciated.

Intuit Zac
Content Creator

Hi Fairfield-Impex, hi Nancy, 

Thank you both for following up on this. 

Please check out the step-by-step in the article below to make sure your QuickBooks locations are imported into your Payroll:

How do I import locations into payroll? 

For Fairfield-Impex, you may like to look into the spit by location setting in the chart of account setting in Payroll so payroll payment for different locations can be recorded under different bank accounts. Here is an article if you want to read more about it. 

QuickBooks Payroll chart of accounts

Thank you and please let us know if you have any questions. :-)

nancyb2021
Level 1

Thank you. I'm not sure what I am doing wrong, but I have gone into every setting (including your directions here) I can find for payroll and the QBO canada does not seem to have an import function for location - is there something I am missing?

The only options I am seeing for location setting is to type in a physical address for each employee which does not carry into P&L and B/S reporting.

thank you

Nancy

Rebecca R
QuickBooks Team

Hello there Nancy,

Thanks for joining in on this thread to learn more about how to track location in QuickBooks Online Payroll. You've posted on a thread in the Australian QuickBooks Community, but luckily you've been transferred to me in Canada so I can assist you with your version of QuickBooks Online. The next time you visit the Community, make sure to select the Canada flag at the top so you know you're reading and making posts in the right forum. It's no big deal though and I'm happy to help you get this sorted out.

There isn't a way to import locations into Payroll in QBO Canada, so you're right about that. However, I think I have a solution that'll work for you. It involves using the Location Tracking feature to categorize transactions and data from different locations. This feature is only available in QuickBooks Online Plus, so if you're using a different version, you might want to upgrade your subscription.

Here's how to get started:

1. Navigate to the Gear icon, then choose Account and Settings.
  2. Within the Advanced tab, hit the Edit pencil for the Categories section.
  3. Hit the checkbox to track locations, hit Save, and then hit Done.
  4. Navigate back to the Gear icon, then choose All Lists.
  5. Choose Locations, then hit New, then enter the Name of a location you want to track.
  6. Hit Save and close when you're finished.

You can enter as many locations as you need to track, and these can easily be added to your transactions. When it comes to Payroll, the easiest way to ensure that it's being tracked according to location, is for you or your employees to enter Timesheets. You have the choice to Enter a single time activity timesheet or to Enter a weekly timesheet. When these are entered, you'll want to ensure that you select one of the Locations you've entered in the appropriate field. When you run payroll for your employees, these timesheets will automatically pull through and will have locations attached. Now when you run your Profit and Loss report you have no trouble customizing the report by Location using the Filters in the Customize section.

I hope this helps! Please let me know if there's more support you need and I'll give you a hand. Have a great day.

brickhousebookkeeping
Level 1

What about salary employees tied to a specific location?  If I put the location in for them on their employee information, how do I get their wages to not show up under not specified, but instead under their specific location?

IntuitSheila
Level 8

Hi brickhousebookkeeping,

Let's check if you have set up a location in your QuickBooks Online account. If so, you can import them for use in your payroll account. Here's how:

1. Click on the Settings icon/Gear Icon.
  2. Click on All List.
  3. Click on Locations.

From here you'll see the locations you've entered. You can then import them using the steps below.

1. Click on the Employee's tab.
  2. Click on Payroll Settings and then Locations.
  3. From the locations screen, click the Import QuickBooks Locations option on the top right hand side of the page.

Then, let's check if the employee's location is set correctly. You can check this under employee's detail and click location. Here's how:

1. Click on the Employee's tab.
  2. Click on the employee name.
  3. Click on Locations.
  4. Check what is selected from here, selected locations will appear as options when processing the employee's pay run.

Also, check your payroll chart of accounts to see if you've set split by location.

1. Go to Employees tab, click on Payroll Settings then click Chart of Accounts.
  2. From the Chart of Account, click the Defaults Chart of account.
  3. For each journal transaction type that you want classes and locations to be assigned to, click the Split by location option against each transaction type. In this case, we're going to split the wages expenses by location.
  4. Click Save.

The final step is to process a pay run. Ensure that your earnings lines for your employees are allocated to the correct locations. Once you've created and finalised a pay run your payroll journals will be posted with the specific location/class assigned to them.

Let me know if you need more information  with QuickBooks or anything else. I'm always here to help. Have a great rest of the day!