cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
SD2019
Level 1

Data file on cloud storage

Can I store my desktop files on Google Drive and still access them from my desktop?  If so, how would I set this up?  I want to be able to access the files from multiple locations.  Thank you

Solved
Best answer March 17, 2019

Best Answers
Rustler
Level 15

No you can not do that in desktop

google for a hosting company in Canada

You can make a back up locally, copy it to a google drive folder, and from somewhere else download the back up, restore from it and work in QB.  Then send a new back up back to the cloud.

that new back up will have to be downloaded and restored back at the office

View solution in original post

7 Comments 7
Rustler
Level 15

No you can not do that in desktop

google for a hosting company in Canada

You can make a back up locally, copy it to a google drive folder, and from somewhere else download the back up, restore from it and work in QB.  Then send a new back up back to the cloud.

that new back up will have to be downloaded and restored back at the office

SD2019
Level 1

Okay...thank you Rustler!

Rustler
Level 15

You're Welcome

lwtompkins
Level 1

I am a bookkeeper for several companies and just got to thinking what if something happened to me or we had a fire and these companies couldn’t get to their financial records without rebuilding them. What is the best way for me to keep at least a monthly backup accessible for the owners? They won’t access it to use, just to be able to take it to a new accountant. (This may sound morbid but I’m a planner. Lol) 

LauraAB
QuickBooks Team

Hello lwtompkins,

There's nothing wrong with planning ahead, even if it is a bit on the morbid side. It just demonstrates to me that you care about your clients and them having access to the work you're doing and have done for them. I'll go over the options with you.

The method Rustler mentioned originally about saving a backup company file and copying it to a Google Drive or other cloud server could work for you provided the people you want to have access to it will. I recommend getting in touch with Google support specifically if you're needing help with that side of things and the access points, but you should be able to save a file there for others to use.

Another option would be to save backup copies to an external drive of some sort that others can have access to. I'm confident you can come up with an option that works for you. The best way to think about this is to think of the backup file as its own entity that can be moved and saved places. The others would simply need access to wherever it's being saved and a version of QuickBooks Desktop to open the file.

I hope that makes sense. I also invite other users in community to chime in on this with what they've worked out. It's a great way to brainstorm and learn from each other.

All the best to you!

Simone332
Level 1

Hi there, 

I have 2 companies on my Quickbooks platform.. I recently lost 2 weeks of work and can't seem to find it in all my backups.. I remember this happened to me years ago and someone at Intuit was able to retrieve it for me from an the cloud.  I can't reach anyone now and I am so devastated, payroll is due and I'm not sure what to do?  Can anyone help me please?

Simone

@LauraAB wrote:

Hello lwtompkins,

There's nothing wrong with planning ahead, even if it is a bit on the morbid side. It just demonstrates to me that you care about your clients and them having access to the work you're doing and have done for them. I'll go over the options with you.

The method Rustler mentioned originally about saving a backup company file and copying it to a Google Drive or other cloud server could work for you provided the people you want to have access to it will. I recommend getting in touch with Google support specifically if you're needing help with that side of things and the access points, but you should be able to save a file there for others to use.

Another option would be to save backup copies to an external drive of some sort that others can have access to. I'm confident you can come up with an option that works for you. The best way to think about this is to think of the backup file as its own entity that can be moved and saved places. The others would simply need access to wherever it's being saved and a version of QuickBooks Desktop to open the file.

I hope that makes sense. I also invite other users in community to chime in on this with what they've worked out. It's a great way to brainstorm and learn from each other.

All the best to you!

LauraAB
QuickBooks Team

Hello Simone,

Thanks for reaching out about this. I can appreciate how not being able to locate your files would be stressful, especially with impending deadlines. At QuickBooks, we're here to help alleviate that stress and get you back to business so you can take care of your various tasks, like payroll. I'll point you in the right direction.

Knowing more details about your situation could help with figuring out what needs to be done to find your backup files. Generally speaking, Intuit doesn't retrieve back up files for customers, even from a cloud provider. Intuit has third-party partners that we recommend as options for cloud providers when it comes to QuickBooks Desktop, which you can learn more about here: What hosting providers are authorized by Intuit?

Regardless if it's one of these or another provider, I recommend getting in contact with the cloud provider for assistance with retrieving your files. It may be as simple as following the pathway of a default directory in your system, but the provider will know for certain how their system works.

If I'm missing the mark with what's going on, you can get in touch with QuickBooks Desktop agents for a one-on-one interaction to share details about what's going on. In doing this, the agent will be able to help you ensure that you have the options you need for getting back on track with payroll.

In light of the COVID-19 outbreak, QuickBooks Desktop support has been reduce and the option for getting in touch is through chat here: intuit.me/cachat. This could be why you were having trouble reaching support, but I want to assure you we've still got agents on duty to help you out. Don't be afraid to give us a shout.

Take care.

Need to get in touch?

Contact us