Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Frequent Explorer *
Solved

Deleting old transactions not needed following switch to Quickbooks from Sage

Hi,

I have a client who has recently switched from Sage to QuickBooks. I'm not sure who has made the switch for him but they have basically imported all data from the Sage system and no opening balances have been entered for anything (there are no expenses, these have been recorded in handwritten form), there are also some gaps in the data.  We don't need any of the data (invoices, estimates or transactions in the bank account) prior to 31.7.2018, this has all been accounted for in other forms. We'd like to remove the old data and start afresh on QB for data commencing 1.8.2018 onwards.

I have done a lot of online research on this so far and it seems the best way of removing the old data is to basically delete all sales invoices. The problem is all that need deleted do not have any 'actions' next to them so I am unable to delete them. They are shown with a status of 'closed' and I don't seem able to do anything at all to them. I was hoping that by removing all the old data the bank account would be 'zero'd out' until 1.8.2018 then I could somehow amend the opening balance? Problem is there does appear to be a 2-3 years worth of transactions in there prior to the dates we want and i'm not sure all the old invoices are available on QB.

I also need to amend the opening balances for accounts receivable and payable too.

Any help and suggestions on this would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

Any help on this

Best answer 03-04-2019 09:41 AM

Accepted Solutions
QuickBooks Team

Re: Deleting old transactions not needed following switch to Quickbooks from Sage

Hello

If you purge the company it will purge all data you can not do it to a certain date unfortunately.

You could take out a dummy company and anything you can export(chart of accounts/customer lists/supplier lists/products and services/invoices and bills you could use to import into the dummy company however you can not move the full file and this is done by exporting sections from old company and then in the cog in the top right using the import data function on the 'dummy' company.

You'd effectively have to strip out, manually from the sheets; any data from before the date, anything you don't want. I wouldn't argue that is necessarily a bad thing, it's just it takes time to do.

Regarding Opening Balances, you can use Double Entry Bookkeeping methodology in our Journal Entry (Cog Wheel - Journal Entry) to able yourself to input an opening balance.

7 REPLIES 7
QuickBooks Team

Re: Deleting old transactions not needed following switch to Quickbooks from Sage

Hello lynb,

Welcome to the Community - thank you for your question!

I would say that one of your best options would be to re-migrate. Which version of Sage did your client move from?

We have the option to purge the account, and so bring it back to its original state. This could also be an option if you would like to enter the data from August on-wards manually.

You can edit opening balances posted to accounts by going to the account history and scrolling back to the first transaction - this should be the opening balance transaction, you can then edit the amount.

Thanks,

Talia

Frequent Explorer *

Thanks for your reply Talia.

To re-migrate or purge, does this mean to start over in essence please?

I take it there are no tools available to just get rid of anything pre 1/8/2018?

I have had a look at the accounts in the chart of accounts and there is no opening balances on them, just a first transaction. I can't find anything to alter an opening balance or enter one.

If I am to start over with QB for this client, can I create a 'dummy' company on my QB, take out the data I want from the existing company and import it into my 'dummy' company? This way I could make sure it's all as it should be without loosing any original data. 

If that's possible what would be the process then? Is it possible to switch my client from their original QB account to the 'dummy' one I have set up? Or would the original account have to be reset to default, then me import that data from the 'dummy' account? And who does the purging or re-setting please, QB?

Thanks in advance.

Lyn

Established Community Backer ***

@lynb wrote:

We don't need any of the data (invoices, estimates or transactions in the bank account) prior to 31.7.2018, this has all been accounted for in other forms. We'd like to remove the old data and start afresh on QB for data commencing 1.8.2018 onwards.

One option is to export the QBO file to Desktop, where you can use the condense feature to delete transactions before a specified date, (which creates JEs so the opening b/sheet balances are correct), and then export it back to QBO (can use same subscription in first 60 days, where any existing data will be overwritten).

Another option is to subscribe to an app like Transaction Deleter, but remember that deleting old transactions changes opening balances.

QuickBooks Team

Hello

If you purge the company it will purge all data you can not do it to a certain date unfortunately.

You could take out a dummy company and anything you can export(chart of accounts/customer lists/supplier lists/products and services/invoices and bills you could use to import into the dummy company however you can not move the full file and this is done by exporting sections from old company and then in the cog in the top right using the import data function on the 'dummy' company.

You'd effectively have to strip out, manually from the sheets; any data from before the date, anything you don't want. I wouldn't argue that is necessarily a bad thing, it's just it takes time to do.

Regarding Opening Balances, you can use Double Entry Bookkeeping methodology in our Journal Entry (Cog Wheel - Journal Entry) to able yourself to input an opening balance.

Frequent Explorer *

Thanks All.

I need to speak with my client again but i think i'm going to have to go down the creating a dummy company route. I'm still not clear on how i get my client access to the dummy company afterwards or if i need to get his original account reset and then import it all back in?

Also 

Frequent Explorer *

Also thoughts on what i do with his expenses please? He's never recorded expenses in computer software, it's all hand written. I'm in 2 minds whether to go back and input all expenses going back to Aug 2018 which is his year beginning, or to start from 1st Dec 18 which is the start of his current VAT period and work out the previous expenses manually when it comes to tax return time. This will influence which start date i use for the bank account for opening balance too.

I also considered using a start date/opening bal for the bank of 1.8.18 and just creating one invoice and expense payment with all say August's incomings and outgoings, then Sep, etc until Dec. Any thoughts?

QuickBooks Team

Hello there, lynb.

Thank you for posting here in the Community. I'd be delighted to assist with any question you may have about the imported transactions in QuickBooks Online.

There are two options if you want to delete online data and start all over again. You can either purge the company (within 90 days of signup) or cancel the subscription (active account for more than 90 days).

For more insights about purging data and starting all over again, I'm adding the article I recommend:

Deleting online data and starting over.

I've checked the main question on this thread and found out the data of your client is coming from Sage. To import and convert data, you'll need to use Intuit Data Services.

You can visit the article below for the detailed steps on the process and the limitations:

Transfer & Import your data for Free with Intuit Data Services: Includes QuickBooks Desktop, Sage 50....

For specific transaction types that QuickBooks Online doesn't convert,  we'll be entering it as Journal Entries. You can also record the expenses manually by clicking the Plus sign and selecting the Expense option.

Please reach out to me here should you need any further assistance with your data, I'm always available to talk QuickBooks.