cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Mint11
Level 2

When creating an invoice, I would like QB to autofill based on Description, not Item Name. Is it possible to change the search filter?

In our last system it was easiest to create items by title and author, (ex. One Fish, Two Fish - Dr. Seuss)  then we later created SKUs for our products (1F2F-DS). The actual item name, in most cases, is quite long (title and author) and does not fit in QBs "Item Name" column (31 character limit?), but it will fit in the Description section. The SKU fits in the Item Name field, but is much less familiar.  We both order from vendors and sell to customers using a title and author, not SKU or product #.

The problem I'm finding is when I'm creating an invoice, QB will not search and autofill if I type in the Description field.  It only searches based on Item Name - it is substantially more difficult for all employees to remember the SKUs.

Is there a certain preference setting I need to change in order to search Description? Or a column I need to customize? Or is there a way to extend the characters permitted in the Item Name field?

Thanks.

1 Comment 1
Rose-A

When creating an invoice, I would like QB to autofill based on Description, not Item Name. Is it possible to change the search filter?

Hi, Mint11.

One of my colleagues already responded to your question, please check this link below.

https://quickbooks.intuit.com/community/Reports-and-accounting/Is-there-a-way-to-search-by-display-I....

If you have more questions, feel free to let me know. Have a good one.

Need to get in touch?

Contact us