cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Experienced Member

4 Companies are actually 4 bank accounts

I took over for our book keeper 2 months ago.  I've just been working in QB Desktop Pro 2016 until I got QB Desktop Pro 2019 ( just bought yesterday).  Now, I am wanting to see if I can fix her error.  I work for a church/school.  We have 4 bank accounts: church, school, payroll, and savings.  She created these bank accounts as company files.  It is so annoying to have to constantly switch between registers and she has them all password protected.  Another annoying thing is when I transfer money between accounts, I have to constantly switch companies to record the deposit or the expense in each company files separate.  I am new to QB in any account, but I am learning quickly.  Is there a way to combine all 4 "companies" onto one company but listed as 4 bank accounts.  Or, if not, is there a way to do all this work between accounts in one account and have it record in the other company file?  Thanks.

3 Comments
BRC
Established Community Backer ***

Re: 4 Companies are actually 4 bank accounts

Likely the best fix going forward is to merge these four files into one.

I'd start with the largest file and export the bank data from the other three to import into it.

QB doesn't have a feature to do this. Instead, use our BRC Transaction Copier  to pull transactions from your individual files for import into the 4th file.

Once complete, then you can use the four accounts within one file.

I started to write something awhile ago point him to BRC, but got side tracked.

Glad you saw this.

BEFORE, you start combining, check the past income tax returns, even charitable organizations have to file an info return.  If they are filing 4 returns, then it is 4 companies and you can not merge them.  Each company stands alone.