cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Experienced Member

A Backup for QB 2013 Mac

Hello, 

I am getting rid of an old computer that was running QB 2013 for my old business. I know you can make a backup of your files, but how do you export/consolidate all your expenses, invoices, records, etc in case you get audited? Or for any multitude of reasons, really. I have 4 years I need to backup. 

QB 2013 is unsupported, I'm assuming, and wouldn't be able to open it with new mac OS's. 

4 Comments

Re: A Backup for QB 2013 Mac

Thank you for posting, @Roving.

I'd be glad to help share some information about making a backup file from your old business. 

QuickBooks will save your backup data as a disk image file, you can restore the company file and attached documents by clicking the .dmg file. You can check out this article for more information: Restore a backup (.dmg) in QuickBooks Mac.

It'd be best if you make two backup copies from the old business. This way, you'll have an extra copy just in case.

As always, you can contact our QuickBooks Mac support if you need further assistance in going through the steps.

Here's how you can reach them:

1. Go to https://help.quickbooks.intuit.com/en_US/contact#.
  2. Select QuickBooks Desktop Mac for the product.
  3. Choose a topic and click the Get Phone Number tab.

That should do it. Let me know if you have additional questions about restoring the backup. I'm here to help however I can.

Experienced Member

No, this isn't what I was asking. 

I said that I knew how to backup my QB file. What I want to know is how do I offload the expenses, invoices, etc to a hard copy, as in PDFs or Excel, for my records. 

I won't be using Desktop QB 2013 anymore. 

QuickBooks Team

Hi Roving,

I got the details to guide you in backing up your QuickBooks data.

You can export your reports to Microsoft Excel 2008 and Apple Numbers 2009 (XLSX) or Microsoft Excel 2004 (SYLK). These are the supported software for QuickBooks Mac 2013.

1. Open a report you want to export.
  2. Click Export. QuickBooks opens a copy of the report in Excel or Numbers.

About printing transactions, please refer to the QuickBooks for Mac 2013 User's Guide. You can find all the instructions for printing forms starting on page 261.

Feel free to post back if you have other questions. Have a good day!

Highlighted
Established Community Backer ***

You may also want to File->Backup->to QuickBooks Windows.  That way if you are audited you (or an accountant) can open the file in a copy of QuickBooks Windows.