cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Contributor *

AR Aging Summary - zero balance or positive/negative activity

I am having trouble figuring out two items on our A/R Aging Summary report.

First, when I run the report there are many customers that show $0 across the board, including Total Balance.  Why are they showing up on the report if there is a $0 balance and $0 in any of the aging columns?  How can I avoid having these show up on the report?

Second, some customers have a negative and positive amount in different columns.  I am attaching an example of one that has ($23,523.61) in 91-180 and $22,523.61 in 271-360.  THis customer is paid-in-full, how do I correct the amounts in the columns so they show $0?

5 Comments
QuickBooks Team

Re: AR Aging Summary - zero balance or positive/negative activity

Hello there, @accontractors.

Allow me to share some information about the zero balance and negative amount in the A/R Aging Summary report.

Negative customer balances on the aging report actually represent overpayments made by customer or credits which are greater than the outstanding invoices. If you want to remove the negative balances you must enter an invoice to offset them.

To do it, enter an invoice for the customer and prior to saving & closing the invoice click on the Apply Credit button on the top of the invoice under the Main heading. The overpayment/credit should appear and you can place a check next to it to apply it to your new invoice.

In the AR Aging Summary report, when a name shows $0 under Total, that name should not show at all. Their Math is $0, but you have unapplied transactions. You double-click their total of $0, to see what is unapplied against each other.

To remove it, here's how:

1. Go to Receive Payment for that name.
  2. In the Amount field, leave it as $0.
  3. Select anything that is an open charge balance.
  4. In the Ribbon icon, apply for available credits, as shown in the middle bottom part as value still available.

Please do the same until everything is applied to something else. Always leave the Amount in the Receive Payment screen as $0; you are not Receiving any new funds.

That's it! Don't hesitate to let me know if you have other concerns about A/R again summary report. I'll be around if you need further help.

Experienced Member

Is there a way to run an A/R aging summary to ONLY show credit amounts?  In QBE, this was possible with a filter, but I'm not seeing a way to filter the amount in QBO.

QuickBooks Team

Thanks for joining this thread, @SH-RL.

Let's filter the transaction type on your A/R Aging Summary report to show the credit amounts.

Let me guide you through on how to accomplish this:

1. On your A/R Aging Summary report, click the Customize Report button.
  2. Go to the Filters tab.
  3. Locate the Transaction type on the Filter section.
  4. Select Multiple Transaction Types, then select Payment and Credit Memo.
  5. Click OK to exit.
  6. Click OK to exit the Modify Report: A/R Aging Summary window. filterreport.PNGfilterreport1.PNG

By following the solution above, you'll be able to see the available credit amounts of your customers.

To learn more about customizing report, please check this out: Customize reports in QuickBooks Desktop.

Please let me know if there's anything I can help you with your financial reports and I'd be glad to lend a hand.

Experienced Member

Thank you for your reply, but you appear to be showing screenshots from QuickBooks desktop.  We are switching over to QuickBooks online, and that's where I'm trying to figure out how to create this credit report.  When I click on filter, the only option I have for filtering is by customer.   I've attached a screenshot so that you can see what I'm seeing.

QuickBooks Team

Thanks for getting back to us, @SH-RL.

I appreciate the steps you've done to get this working for the screenshot. Allow me to chime in and share some information about the A/R aging summary report in QuickBooks Online (QBO).

In QBO, the option to filter the A/R aging summary report to only show credit amounts is unavailable. If a customer/client has an open invoice, the system will automatically deduct the credit amount and will display the remaining open balance.

Just in case, here's an article that tackles customizing reports in QBO for future reference: How to customize reports.

This should answer your concern for today. Please post again or mentioned me in the comment section if you need anything else. I'll be happy to help. Take care always.