cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Experienced Member

Ability to block QB desktop users from seeing imported Intuit Online Payroll checks.

When I import the iif file of Intuit payroll into my desktop version, the paychecks are actually checks and not paychecks under each employee.  Because of this, all users have access to see payroll check data.  Is there any work arounds that would enable me to keep the payroll data from being accessed by users that have zero sensitive access?  Thank you,

3 Comments
QuickBooks Team

Re: Ability to block QB desktop users from seeing imported Intuit Online Payroll checks.

Hello, texasbeancounter.

Aside from removing the Payroll access, you can also remove the Banking access from the user. This prevents them from viewing the checks imported into Quickbooks.

Here’s how to edit a user’s access:

1. Go to Company at the top. 
  2. Select Users from the drop down option. 
  3. Choose SetUp Users and Roles. 
  4. Highlight the user from the list and select Edit. 
  5. Highlight Banking under Assigned Roles. 
  6. Click Remove. 
  7. Select OK. 

For additional information, please check this article:  https://quickbooks.intuit.com/community/Getting-Started/QuickBooks-Desktop-Users-and-Restrictions/m-...

Please feel free to post again if you have other questions about Quickbooks. 

Experienced Member

Re: Ability to block QB desktop users from seeing imported Intuit Online Payroll checks.

Unfortunately this is in QB2018 not enterprise.  I have removed all access except transaction entry and the user can still click on Employees on the homepage and see the transactions.

Thank you for your help

QuickBooks Team

Hi there, texasbeancounter.

Allow me to chime in. Let me share some insights about the converted payroll checks and get your concern resolved.

All imported paychecks from your Intuit payroll will be converted as checks (also known as permitted non-payroll transactions) in QuickBooks Desktop regardless of restricting a user to banking access. 

As a workaround, I suggest deleting those paychecks and recording them as a prior payroll affecting bank account. 

Let's delete these checks first. Here's how:

1. Go to Employees and choose Employee Center.
  2. Click on the Transactions tab.
  3. Select Permitted Non-Payroll Transactions tab, double-click each check to open and choose Delete.
  4. Click on OK to confirm.

If you have the Accountant version of QuickBooks, you can check out this article to delete transactions by batch: Batch Delete/Void Transactions.

Then, follow these steps to record historical payroll data:

1. Click on Help and choose About QuickBooks.
  2. Press Ctrl + Alt + Y to open the Setup YTD Amounts window.
  3. In the Setup YTD Amounts window, click on Next.
  4. Then, set the date on when should YTD summaries affect accounts and click on Next.
  5. Set the date you'll begin using QuickBooks payroll to create paychecks and click on Next.
  6. Highlight the employee's name and click on Enter Summary.
  7. Set the date and enter some necessary information.
  8. Click on Accounts Affected.
  9. Choose Affect liability, expense and bank accounts radio button.
  10. Click on OK.

Follow these steps to enter prior payroll for each employee. Once you're done, just click on Next until Finish.

You can refer to this article for further guidance: Enter historical payroll data

From there, your user won't be able to see the historical payroll data you've entered in QuickBooks. 

Please let me know if you have further questions about the process. I'm always glad to help. Take care.