cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Established Member

Account not Found

Since I activate the account numbers, I cannot post any kind of entry as the account title cannot be found, apparently the • bullet separating the account number and account title was changed to a different character. 

5 Comments
QuickBooks Team

Re: Account not Found

The re-sort lists can fix this, romeollantos.

It could be a damage list in the Chart of Accounts. Resorting will repair and put the list back to its default order.

To do so:

1. Click Lists, and then Chart of Accounts.
  2. Mark then Include inactive box.
  3. Click the Account drop-down at the bottom.
  4. Click Re-sort List.
  5. Click OK when prompted.

You can refer to this article for more information: Re-sort lists.

Please reply anytime if you have any questions. We're happy to help.

Hi, my computer has this issue, too.

Unfortunately, re-sort cannot solve this problem. Here is my situation:

I can use the QBW file/software normally in the computer of my classroom, but when l operate the same file through Quickbooks in my laptop, it has this issue. Be specific, when l open a file in my computer, there is a weird symbol like "?" occurs between the account number and account name, and l cannot record deposit to any accounts because the system shows"Account Not Found"  

I heard some blog said this issue may happen on some Asian users due to the national language of their systems. I am not sure if that is the reason so l wish any talents here can help me. By the way, my laptop is from Asia, and sets Chinese as default language.

Hello Eric Zhang,

Thanks for hoping in and trying to troubleshoot this error. 

The default language setup on your laptop doesn't affect the QuickBooks company file setting. We can run the Verify and Rebuild tool to check what's causing this error. Then, it also helps to resolve any data damage. Here's how:

1. Click on the File menu.
  2. Choose Utilities and choose Verify Data.
  3. Follow the steps in the prompt.
  4. Choose File and select Utilities.
  5. Select Rebuild Data.
  6. Click on OK.

Please let us know if you need anything else. 

Experienced Member

For me, the problem still.

QuickBooks Team

Hello there, @elmonte.

Thank you for joining this thread and reaching out to us. I can help you select the accounts and avoid getting the Account not Found error.

Usually, re-sorting your account list and running the Verify and Rebuild Utilities help resolve any data related problems in QuickBooks. Since this didn't do the trick, I recommend unchecking the Use account numbers box. 

1. Click Edit.
  2. Choose Preferences.
  3. Go to the Accounting menu.
  4. Select Company Preferences tab.
  5. Uncheck Use account numbers box.

After that, create the desired transaction once again. You shouldn't get the error message, elmonte. Update your preferences back again if you'd like to add the account number.

On the other hand, if you're still unable to fix the issue, I suggest reaching out to our Messaging Team. They can utilize more tools, such as screen sharing, to help investigate this further.

1. Log into your account and go to the Home page.
  2. Click Help and choose QuickBooks Desktop Help.
  3. On the search field, enter Account not Found.
  4. Click the magnifying glass icon.
  5. Click the Contact us link.
  6. Select the Fix an Error topic
  7. Click Start a Message.

That should guide you to the right track, elmonte. Keep me posted if there's anything else you need. I'm still here to offer more assistance. Have a good one.