cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
adowds
Level 1

Accounts Receivable - Parent & Sub Accounts

Can the Accounts Receivable account be designated as a Parent account? If so, would any sub-accounts (for different types of receivables) appear on the A/R Aging Report? Separated? 

Thank you, Allan D.

3 Comments 3
Mark_R
QuickBooks Team

Hello there, Allan D.

At this time, there isn't a way to make your A/R sub-accounts appear on your A/R Aging report. Let me clear this up for you and guide you on how to proceed.

QuickBooks Online allows you to create multiple A/R accounts, however, it's not designed to work with them. In addition, the initial A/R account created will be its default in tracking A/R balances. For this reason, any A/R sub-accounts or other A/R accounts created will not appear on the A/R Aging report separately.

Alternatively, you can track two types of income with the use of sub-accounts, or Location or Class Tracking. If you're interested, you can learn more about it here: How to Group Accounts Receivable or Accounts Payable Account Types.

If you ever have other questions we can help you with, feel free to swing by the Community!

adowds
Level 1

Thank you; to clarify: I can create multiple "parent" Accounts Receivable accounts (corresponding with multiple revenue lines) in the Chart of Accounts - and each one will produce a separate aging report?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for getting back, @adowds.

I'm here to help provide clarification about the Accounts Receivable account in QuickBooks Online.

Yes, you're correct, you can create multiple accounts for A/R. However, when pulling up the A/R Aging report, it'll only show the aging invoice transactions. This is because QuickBooks only uses the default A/R account when you create invoices.

If you need other helpful references in the future, you can check out our site: Help articles for QuickBooks Online.

Keep me posted if you have other questions about Accounts Receivable. I'm also here to help.

Need to get in touch?

Contact us