cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Katipai
Level 1

Adding (subtraction etc) in cell

Switching from desktop to online. Is there a way to do the simple addition of numbers in cell? I found a youtube tutorial which showed how to do it in the Amount cell on an invoice, but it doesn't seem to apply to bills or journal entries. 

For example, I'm wanting to split a bill into various subcategories ... in desktop I could add $5.97 + $8.63 + $2.00 in the cell related to the line item and it would total it up for me. Is there a way to do this online?

Solved
Best answer April 23, 2019

Best Answers
IamjuViel
QuickBooks Team

Pleased to have you here, @Katipai.

I'd be delighted to help walk you through on how to enter a line item on your invoice and bill in QuickBooks Online.

When adding a line item on an invoice or bill, you can enter it one by one. However, if you need to add or change the rate of the line item, yes, you can add or subtrct on the same cell. But it will not automatically create a new line item. 

If you're referring to putting a sub-line item under a specific item to indicate a group or packages, you can utilize our QuickBooks Online Bundle feature.

You may check the video below for reference:

Looking forward to seeing your post here in the Community if you have other questions about creating an invoice and bill in QuickBooks Online. I'm always here to answer your inquiries.

View solution in original post

6 Comments 6
IamjuViel
QuickBooks Team

Pleased to have you here, @Katipai.

I'd be delighted to help walk you through on how to enter a line item on your invoice and bill in QuickBooks Online.

When adding a line item on an invoice or bill, you can enter it one by one. However, if you need to add or change the rate of the line item, yes, you can add or subtrct on the same cell. But it will not automatically create a new line item. 

If you're referring to putting a sub-line item under a specific item to indicate a group or packages, you can utilize our QuickBooks Online Bundle feature.

You may check the video below for reference:

Looking forward to seeing your post here in the Community if you have other questions about creating an invoice and bill in QuickBooks Online. I'm always here to answer your inquiries.

Katipai
Level 1

Thanks ... I realized that the issue was that I was hitting enter expecting the sum to appear as it would in the desktop version. The solution here is to move to the next cell, in my case the easiest way is by arrowing up or down, which is contrary to how it behaved in my previous version. New muscle memory!!

HNewland
Level 1

Thank you!  This was driving me crazy.

poormetea
Level 2

Thank you!! I was struggling with the same issue...kept hitting enter.  Appreciate this.

gsquaredb
Level 1

so if i want to add amounts in the amount column of a check e.g. add all my gas purchases into 1 category from my credit card statement.  If i try use the + it say "this value is out of range". Enter doesnt work or do the arrow keys. 

katherinejoyceO
QuickBooks Team

Thanks for sharing your first concern in this thread, @gsquaredb. This issue usually happened when cache and cookies are full. 

You'll want to access your QBO company using an incognito or private window to rule out this problem. Here are the shortcut keys:

• Ctrl + Shift + N for Google Chrome
  • Ctrl + Shift + P for Firefox & Microsoft Edge
  • Command + Shift + N for Safari

If that works, go back to your regular browser and start clearing its cache to improve your browsing experience. 

You may also switch to other supported browsers to further isolate the issue.

Additionally, I've included our QuickBooks Online Articles for future reference.

Visit us again for your other concerns. I'll be around to guide you again. 

Need to get in touch?

Contact us