cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AlexaGB
Level 2

Billable vs Non-billable downloaded credit card transactions

When we download our credit card transactions and enter them using the "more detail" feature of adding the expense account and matching it to a particular client/project, we always uncheck the billable option.  However, it always gets recorded as billable.   We then have to go back to the credit card account, click on each and every transaction to uncheck again the billable option.

Why is it not working in the first place?  Please advise if you can.   

10 Comments 10
KhimG
QuickBooks Team

I appreciate your time reaching out to the Community, @AlexaGB.

I’m here to make sure your concern about the billable option is taken care of.

Will you be using this feature on other transactions such as time entries and expenses? If not, you can turn it off from the Company Preferences page.

Doing so will disable the automatic billable check mark when you enter expenses on bills. Let me show you how:

1. Go to the Edit menu and select Preferences.
  2. Choose Time & Expenses on the left-side panel.
  3. Click the Company Preferences folder.
  4. Uncheck the box next to Mark all time entries as billable and Mark all expenses as billable
  5. Hit OK to save the changes.

billable1.PNG

You can still enable the billable feature. Just run the Verify and Rebuild Data Utility Tool to fix any possible data damage on the company file since this could be the reason behind the issue.

Make sure to create a backup to avoid any accidental data loss before performing the following steps.

1. Go to the File menu.
  2. Select Utilities, then Rebuild Data.
  3. Click OK on the QuickBooks Information window. 
  4. Follow the prompt to save a backup.
  5. Hit OK when you see Rebuild has completed.
  6. Once done, follow the steps above except choose verify instead of rebuild.

Check out this article for reference: Resolve data damage. In the same link, you’ll find other data damage troubleshooting steps for Windows.

This information should get you back in line. 

Please give this a try and let me know if it corrects the issue. I'm looking forward to your reply. Take care!

Rustler
Level 15

@AlexaGB 

try this, menu edit>preferences>time and costs>company tab

insure that the statement to mark all expenses as billable is turned off

close and restart QB and try the download

Anonymous
Not applicable

@AlexaGB 

RE: "When we download our credit card transactions and enter them using the "more detail" feature of adding the expense account and matching it to a particular client/project, we always uncheck the billable option. However, it always gets recorded as billable."

This sounds like a straightforward bug to me.  You shouldn't have to turn off the feature to get QB to record what you tell it to record.

@KhimG 

Intuit, can you justify this behavior?  Generally when QB silently does not record what you input - that's a bug.  If so you should get it fixed and not offer workarounds without acknowledging the issue.

Please answer the obvious question: "Why is it not working in the first place? Please advise if you can."

AlexaGB
Level 2

AlexaGB
Level 2

Rustler.  Thank you.  It has always been turned off.

FritzF

Hi, @AlexaGB.

Thanks for getting back to us in the Community. Allow me to join the conversation and help make sure this is taken care of.

First of all, I appreciate you following the troubleshooting steps provided by my colleague above. Unchecking the billable option when adding/matching downloaded credit card transactions to QuickBooks Desktop (QBDT) should record them as not-billable. I tried to check if there's an ongoing issue with this, but there isn't currently one.

Since the issue still persists after performing the Verify and Rebuild Data Utility, I highly suggest contacting our Support Team. They have tools such as screen-sharing (remote access) that can check your account in a secure environment and further investigate.

You can refer to this article for the detailed steps on how to reach them: Contact the QuickBooks Desktop Customer Support Team.

Please let me know how the call goes or should you need anything else in the comment section. I'm always here to help. Have a great rest of the week.

AlexaGB
Level 2

Ok. I will call the support team - but it will have to be next month as I don't have anymore transactions to download this month.

aqdev
Level 1

Alexa, did you ever get this resolved? Mine does the same thing. Very annoying.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Welcome aboard, @aqdev,

I want to ensure you can download your credit card transactions accurately in QuickBooks.

If you already tried running the Verify/Rebuild Utility as suggested by my colleagues but to no avail, I highly recommend contacting our QuickBooks Support Team. Bug and data issues requires the expertise of our Technical Support Team. They can check the log files of the software to check if the problem is caused by a bug or identify other underlying problems.

They can also pull up your account in a secure environment. Here's how to contact us:

1. Go to the Help menu.
  2. Choose QuickBooks Desktop Help.
  3. Tap the Contact us button.

Please let me know how the call goes. I'm looking forward to your response as I want to ensure you're all good. Have a great day!

aqdev
Level 1

52 Minutes with tech support trying to explain a problem that everyone on here understands in 2 minutes. Then you ask for money to continue the terrible tech support on a product I just bought. Providing a terrible service, then demanding a customer pay to continue that terrible service is an interesting sales strategy.

Need to get in touch?

Contact us