cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Experienced Member

Budget reports are empty.

I've created my first budget.

When I attempt to run a Budget Overview or Budget vs Actuals report, however, all the budget fields are empty.

I've hit "save" in the budget window. I've verified and rebuilt my database. I'm not getting any errors. Just blank columns.

Please help!

QB for Mac 2016. 

6 Comments
QuickBooks Team

Re: Budget reports are empty.

Hello there, @jasonstevanhill!

Let me share a few information and help you display the amounts of your budget overview.

I was able to create a budget with details on each column here on my end. Thus said, you'll have to fill in with amounts in all columns of each account categories of your budget.

Because it will not automatically fill in each column once you've entered the amounts as an annual budget. It has to be manually entered in each column.

With this, let's go back and open or create a new budget. Making sure you've entered all amounts for each columns of each category accounts in your budget. Here's how:

1. Go to Company.
  2. Select Planning and Budgeting.
  3. Choose Set up Budgets.
  4. Under Choose the budget type, select Profit and Loss.
  5. Hit Next and then Finish.
  6. Fill in each columns with the amount of your budget.
  7. Click Save and then OK.

This way, you'll be able to create a budget and will surely display in your budget reports.

Lastly, here's an article you can read to learn more about budgets: Create a Budget or Forecast in QuickBooks Desktop.

Please let me know if you have any other questions about budgets. I'll be always around to help you out.

Experienced Member

I'm sorry, but I don't understand.

What's the point of creating the budget if the Profit & Loss Budget Overview doesn't fill in the data automatically? As you say, "Because it will not automatically fill in all amount once you've entered an annual budget, it has to be manually entered in each column."

Experienced Member

I'm sorry, but I don't understand.

Why will it not automatically "fill in all amount" in the report? Isn't that what a report is for, to fill in the data that you've entered? Why would I run a report just to manually enter the budget numbers into the report?

And when you say, "Making sure you've entered all amounts for each columns in your budget." What do you mean?

QuickBooks Team

Thank you for the response, @jasonstevanhill!

Allow me to chime in for a moment and share some additional information about your budget reports.

To start, may I ask for additional details about how did you create your budget? You can consider this as one of the possible reasons why the columns of your budget reports are empty.

In addition, you'll have to fill out all the columns with amounts for your budget. This way, your reports won't display a blank column.

Lastly, you'll have to click Save and then Done after creating your budget with all amounts in each column.

For your reference, I've included a couple of screenshots below.

Please let me know if you have any other questions about your budget. I'll be always around to lend you a helping hand.

Experienced Member

So you're saying that I have to go and manually put 0s in all the unused fields on every Class of the budget?

That seems like a massive waste of time. Is there a shortcut to auto-populate the fields with 0s if they don't have something in them?

Community Manager

Hello jasonstevanhill,

Allow me to jump into your conversation with Jonpril_L.

After you've created and saved your budget, the amounts should show in any budget reports. If I may ask, have you tried updating the Dates in the report? It'd could be that the selected date was incorrect that's why you can see blank columns.

If you're still unable to see the amounts, please reach out to us. We'll investigate the cause of it and escalate it to our engineers so they can get it resolved.

1. Go to this link: https://help.quickbooks.intuit.com/en_US/contact.
  2. Choose QuickBooks Mac Desktop.
  3. Choose a topic.
  4. Click on Get Phone Number.

If you have any questions, please let us know. We'll be glad to help you.