cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Experienced Member

Can't get Admin reset tool to work for second file

I used the password reset tool about a week ago for my main company file  and it worked.  

I have a second file that I run under the same license (mainly to keep payroll separate from the most used file).   I need to reset this password for the Admin, but every time I try using the second file with the tool, I receive errors.   

Can I reset this password when I have another file under the same license?

Thank you

1 Comment
Highlighted
QuickBooks Team

Re: Can't get Admin reset tool to work for second file

Hi there, @dchernak1.

Thanks for joining us here in the Community. I can assist you with resetting the password of your of your company file. 

May I know what is the specific error that you received upon resetting your password? In QuickBooks Desktop, you can reset an Admin password even if you have another company file for the same license. You'll just need to make sure that the information for the company file is correct to successfully change the password. 

These are the following:

• Primary Contact name and email address.
  • Primary Mailing address (especially zip code)
  • License number (under Products and Services)
  • Phone number (under Account Details)

Once verified, you can go ahead and use the automated password reset tool again. 

Also, I have here some articles that you can refer to about fixing errors in QuickBooks and passwords:

Reset password for QuickBooks Admin and other users.

Resolve data damage on your company file. 

Repair QuickBooks Desktop.

However, if the issue persists after trying these steps above, I'd suggest reaching out to our Technical Team. They have the tools to check on your account and guide you all throughout the process of resetting your password. 

To reach them:

1. In your browser, navigate to https://help.quickbooks.intuit.com/en_US/contact.
  2. Choose QuickBooks  Desktop.
  3. Choose an issue or topic.
  4. Click the Green Phone button to see the support number.

You've got me here if you have any other questions. I'll be around to provide additional assistance. Have a great day!